EMBY & PLEX co-existence?

Rumbaar

Rumbaar

Firstly, feel free to delete this type of thread if it's not in line with this forum.

I've used EMBY since it was MediaBrowser (which it still is ;)), and want to continue to use it.  Gotten a lifetime subscription and happy to support it, as it's made things easy to manage.

But my only issue is legacy support, that PLEX seems to handle natively .  I need that functionality, to handle old Samsung TV's, Xbox 360's (no longer can use extender with Win10 no longer supporting WMC), PS3's and Sony TV.  All these devices have a PLEX app, and need/want the parental control, media watch statuses and logging that isn't available as a DLNA source (and I don't have the knowledge to setup individual DLNA profiles for each of these devices to only supply age/user appropriate content.

So my question is, how do the two servers play together.  So I'll use the PLEX to just manage the content delivery to those legacy devices.

I'm happy to have alternative suggestions for media delivery and management to those devices?

Happy2Play

I wouldn't see why there would be any issues.  Lots of users have posted they use both.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we have a community app that can be installed on your older Samsung models. have you checked the download instructions on the website?

PrincessClevage

Firstly, feel free to delete this type of thread if it's not in line with this forum.

I've used EMBY since it was MediaBrowser (which it still is ;)), and want to continue to use it. Gotten a lifetime subscription and happy to support it, as it's made things easy to manage.

But my only issue is legacy support, that PLEX seems to handle natively . I need that functionality, to handle old Samsung TV's, Xbox 360's (no longer can use extender with Win10 no longer supporting WMC), PS3's and Sony TV. All these devices have a PLEX app, and need/want the parental control, media watch statuses and logging that isn't available as a DLNA source (and I don't have the knowledge to setup individual DLNA profiles for each of these devices to only supply age/user appropriate content.

So my question is, how do the two servers play together. So I'll use the PLEX to just manage the content delivery to those legacy devices.

I'm happy to have alternative suggestions for media delivery and management to those devices?

Aren't DNLa profiles already setup in Emby server for you?

Rumbaar

I'm pretty sure we have a community app that can be installed on your older Samsung models. have you checked the download instructions on the website?

Firstly I'm based in Australia, and from what I can tell only official one is in the US store?

I tried following posted instructions and log in as develop, and connect to the appropriate IP address and sync to download.  But was never successful, as no app ever showed.  I've tried this on a Samsung DVD player too.

Aren't DNLa profiles already setup in Emby server for you?

Yes, they are.  But you have only the option to set one default user profile per DLNA profile.  So would need to do this for different same model TV's or limit to only a specific User for that device.  Which mixed parental control content is the issue.  Amongst the loss of watch status and resume features, etc.

ab123ga

I have been running both for years. Most of my family who accesses my libraries use PLEX because they are mainly ROKU users and until the recent ROKU changes noted, the presentation for PLEX on ROKU was much nicer than EMBY. 

I tend to use the EMBY side b/c I like collections and the ability to have the movie logos etc for presentation. 

• Like 1

ginjaninja

I have trakt configured on emby and plex..this allows me mostly to use the best client for a given situation / device interchangably...eg watch a episode on tv on plex, emby mobile syncs next up episode on phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Rumbaar

I have trakt configured on emby and plex..this allows me mostly to use the best client for a given situation / device interchangably...eg watch a episode on tv on plex, emby mobile syncs next up episode on phone.

I'll have to investigate this Trakt, as that was a concern.  Not having a uniform watched status, etc.

Rumbaar

I've gone down a different path, that will hopefully be easier to manage.  I've decided to buy some Roku Ultra's (future proofing) to connect to those legacy TV's and hopefully that will solve the current streaming and media management to those devices.  Hopefully the Roku app is as finely polished as other clients :)

Rumbaar

We certainly intend for it to be: New Emby for Roku public preview beta

Should I be loading this version, or the one that's on the Roku apps store?

I need multi-account log in and general play functionality initially, for novice/children to be able to navigate and control.

Happy2Play

It really is a personal preference when you look at the design of the apps.  The new app is still in the beta stages, but functional.

Koleckai Silvestri

The only conflict that I found is that Plex identified my video backdrops as individual movies. Was a mess to clean up.

• Like 2

Rumbaar

It really is a personal preference when you look at the design of the apps. The new app is still in the beta stages, but functional.

So they're completely different? I know the Emby theater app on Win10 is slightly different on the win store compared to the web site download. But function mostly the same.

So they're completely different? I know the Emby theater app on Win10 is slightly different on the win store compared to the web site download. But function mostly the same.

The beta is a complete re-write using newer methods than were available at the time the official app was written.  Therefore, it has an interface that is much more like the other TV platforms (Android TV and Apple TV).

CBers

I tried following posted instructions and log in as develop, and connect to the appropriate IP address and sync to download.  But was never successful, as no app ever showed.  I've tried this on a Samsung DVD player too.

Which Samsung TV do you have ??

The only Emby for Samsung app in a store is the Tizen OS version.

Rumbaar

The beta is a complete re-write using newer methods than were available at the time the official app was written.  Therefore, it has an interface that is much more like the other TV platforms (Android TV and Apple TV).

I've never used Android TV or Apple TV, but I'll look to try that beta.  I'll not loose any functionality that is present in the public release?

Which Samsung TV do you have ??

The only Emby for Samsung app in a store is the Tizen OS version.

I think it's a 2011 model, but I also tried in a 2015 or so 'Smart' Samsung Blu-ray player that is running Tizen.   Also I'm in Australia, and the Tizen app is only in the US store.

I've never used Android TV or Apple TV, but I'll look to try that beta.  I'll not loose any functionality that is present in the public release?

It is a beta so it is not complete yet.  Whether or not that impacts you will depend on your specific usage.

• Like 1

im85288

I run both too, Emby I use for Kodi. Plex for iOS and that's all my needs covered :)

• Like 1

Rumbaar

I run both too, Emby I use for Kodi. Plex for iOS and that's all my needs covered :)

yeah, Emby iOS app didn't seem to work well for me, or at all. Is Plex a better solution for those devices? Though I'm trying to phase out iOS devices from my setup.

yeah, Emby iOS app didn't seem to work well for me, or at all

I don't believe you have reported any iOS issues so the best thing to do is start with that. Thanks !

Rumbaar

I don't believe you have reported any iOS issues so the best thing to do is start with that. Thanks !

That is true, I figured iOS and Apple were just a crap environment for third party apps and resigned to the fact it just doesn't work.  But I'll look to submit my issue, but I'll work on my Android Mobile issue first.

• 2 weeks later...
alchemi183

yeah, Emby iOS app didn't seem to work well for me, or at all. Is Plex a better solution for those devices? Though I'm trying to phase out iOS devices from my setup.

I think I've used the Emby iOS app...can't remember for sure, but when I am on iOS I just use Safari to access my server and play back content and that works really well.

• Like 1

Rumbaar

I think I've used the Emby iOS app...can't remember for sure, but when I am on iOS I just use Safari to access my server and play back content and that works really well.

Yeah, I have to resort to using the browser on all of my devices now.  Which is okay for me, but not the novice users I'm trying to target.