What can Xbox One play direct?

Bert

I've noticed that Xbox One seems to transcode every file I throw at it, although truthfully I don't have a wide variety. Is there a list of things that can direct play with Emby to Xbox One? I'd like to use them as clients but transcoding strains my cpu too much for multiple instances.

FrostByte

All of my movies are mkv and from my experience DTS will transcode and AC3 will not.  I saw in another thread that Luke will be tackling the DTS issue again here soon.

Hmmmm... That makes sense as all I rip now is best available track. I thought perhaps if that was the obstacle then it would direct stream and just remux the audio... so figured issue might be bitrate related.

Well all my mp4 and mkv transcode. I don't change any settings in client so it's auto. So I am thinking the file is too high of a bitrate for Xbox One to accept hence the transcoding. If I were to cap the bitrate at x when encoding.... Could I possibly be below the threshold and achieve direct play?

Deathsquirrel

I'm not sure what you're asking but we recommend just keeping it on Auto.

Auto seems to be broken at this time on the xbox.  If I set it to auto everything transcodes to a horrifically low bitrate.  If I set it to the max value stuff plays fine.

As for what plays direct, AAC and AC3 audio are generally fine.  H264 video in an MP4 of MKV container is fine, depending on bit rate.  HD audio will be transcoded as the system doesn't currently support it.  I can't recall what it does with DTS as I don't have a lot of DTS files.  Embedded subs are a no-go on just about every client other than ET/Kodi on PC but text subs are just fine IIRC.

Deathsquirrel

Well all my mp4 and mkv transcode. I don't change any settings in client so it's auto. So I am thinking the file is too high of a bitrate for Xbox One to accept hence the transcoding. If I were to cap the bitrate at x when encoding.... Could I possibly be below the threshold and achieve direct play?

Try setting your max bitrate to an actual value rather than auto.  Both my xboxes required that to stop transcoding the video into a blocky mess.

Auto seems to be broken at this time on the xbox.  If I set it to auto everything transcodes to a horrifically low bitrate.  If I set it to the max value stuff plays fine.

As for what plays direct, AAC and AC3 audio are generally fine.  H264 video in an MP4 of MKV container is fine, depending on bit rate.  HD audio will be transcoded as the system doesn't currently support it.  I can't recall what it does with DTS as I don't have a lot of DTS files.  Embedded subs are a no-go on just about every client other than ET/Kodi on PC but text subs are just fine IIRC.

Just tested this, no problem found

HTTP GET http://192.168.1.2:8096/emby/videos/4a56991c9a8e4d8d0c7676e7c4a1b2cf/stream.mkv?DeviceId=f2c4f4b119321a408158ab95f13c74aa0858e3f5&MediaSourceId=4a56991c9a8e4d8d0c7676e7c4a1b2cf&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=ac3,mp3,aac&AudioStreamIndex=1&VideoBitrate=40000000&AudioBitrate=448000&Level=41&Profile=high&PlaySessionId=9ff1f95375cc4af6a6287f909bc0b780&CopyTimestamps=true&SubtitleMethod=Encode&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6&EnableSubtitlesInManifest=false&Tag=9552d1f759793fed346ced6ea72ccab7&RequireAvc=false. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; MSAppHost/3.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14393

Notice the really high bitrate being requested as well as the MsAppHost in the user agent.

FrostByte

Hmmmm... That makes sense as all I rip now is best available track. I thought perhaps if that was the obstacle then it would direct stream and just remux the audio... so figured issue might be bitrate related.

I guess that depends on your definition of transcoding :).  The audio still needs to be transcoded before remuxing, but I guess Emby only reports transcoding when it's video

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcoding

Here is something XB suggests on your connection speed when streaming HD, you can try and run that to see what speeds you're getting

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/streaming-quality-solution

Deathsquirrel

Just tested this, no problem found

I just tried it and the problem has either been fixed in the last couple weeks or it was a little more exotic, maybe only happening right after an app update or something similar.  Doesn't happen to me any longer in any case.

I guess that depends on your definition of transcoding :).  The audio still needs to be transcoded before remuxing, but I guess Emby only reports transcoding when it's video

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcoding

Here is something XB suggests on your connection speed when streaming HD, you can try and run that to see what speeds you're getting

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/streaming-quality-solution

Thanks for that, that was awesome, never knew that menu existed.  Reports at 80.61 down and 10.18 up no packet loss, 63ms latency.  Network is apparently not the issue.

• Like 1

So I tried a couple and I guess always was a little dramatic in describing the issue of mp4 and mkv transcoding.  I have been watching a lot of TV that was processed by MCE Buddy and all those definitely transcode but that's obviously something with the file it is creating.  Tried some movies and it seems like Emby maybe doesn't like if there is a second audio stream.  One had DTS-HD first and AC3 second and it transcoded.  Another with just DTS-HD played fine and reported as direct stream.  Ultimately, I just want to include the DTS-HD track anyway so I will play around with some files.

• Like 1