Folder view not sorting in alphabetical order

krogan
Go to solution Solved by krogan,

Hey guys,

I have been a fan of the folder view for some time. However, I have been running into the below problem since its implementation. It seems like rather than sorting all content in alphabetical order, the items that have associated meta data are getting moved after the items that do not have associated meta data. For example, 1-108 are sorted alphabetically. Then 109 starts at the beginning again, however, has a picture associated. It looks like these are pulling metadata that's causing them to be put in a group at the end. Can this be changed? Would I just need to remove all the metadata to get this to work?

I think we are going to need to see a picture but the metadata that would be most relevant here would be whatever is in "Sort Name".

64W3Btn.jpg

RQsHCVW.jpg

Here are some images. Looking at the metadata you pointed out showed that none of these have anything in the Sort Name field. Looking at the titles all show them starting with a "[" character.

Another thing I noticed is that when I open the meta data manager screen, and it lists everything under "movies" it actually displays the content as it should be and doesn't split the list half way down.

Edited by krogan

Since there is no metadata, the only thing we have to go on is the file name.  Since all of yours start with "[" they all sort to the top.

Since there is no metadata, the only thing we have to go on is the file name.  Since all of yours start with "[" they all sort to the top.

But they are not... If you look at the screenshots the first grouping starts at the top correctly. However, starting at 109 again it loops back through [Anime]. There are two images above. You can see the difference by the number I have sorted through.

Edited by krogan

If you create the same example in windows explorer you see they get sorted the same way

5887a90ee5844_Untitled.png

sort title is empty by design. It's there for you to customize if you wish.

Are the ones at the top actually folders?

Yes everything in my Movies folder is in a folder in itself

If you create the same example in windows explorer you see they get sorted the same way

5887a90ee5844_Untitled.png

sort title is empty by design. It's there for you to customize if you wish.

Not the way it's currently displayed in emby. I don't think I am explaining the problem correctly. As windows does not sort the content this way. Here is the list as it is shows in windows:

Dt4dNQA.jpg

If you compare this with the way it is displayed above in the screenshots you can see that Appleseed.alpha should come after Angel_beats. However, it doesn't show up in the folder view until number 109.

Windows: Appleseed.Alpha = record #3

Emby: Appleseed.Alpha = record #109

All of the content that has a splash image is showing up after all the items that do not.

Edited by krogan

Happy2Play

And does Appleseed Alpha have anything in the "Sort Name" field in Metadata Manager or any of the others?

And does Appleseed Alpha have anything in the "Sort Name" field in Metadata Manager or any of the others?

Per my response to ebr earlier no.

Ok one thing I just noticed is that in the meta data manager the ones that show up on the bottom have an orange and silver icon next to them, while the ones that show up at the top have an orange and red icon.

Here is an image:

cwAg8E5.jpg

The weird thing though is that the list is displayed correctly in the metadata manager.

Edited by krogan

Happy2Play

Need to compare metadata to see why.  I assume Sort by is still set to by name?

Only other thing I can think of is "data-type=", "Boxsets" are sorted before "Movies".  I don't have anime but Emby sorts all Collections before individual items in folder view.

Are those all custom Collections?

Edited by Happy2Play

My guess is the items at the top of the list are being seen as actual folders and not movies and that the library is probably of a mixed or unknown type.

In that situation, we group folders before regular items (assuming people want to see their organizational folders as a group instead of among their items).

Need to compare metadata to see why.  I assume Sort by is still set to by name?

Only other thing I can think of is "data-type=", "Boxsets" are sorted before "Movies".  I don't have anime but Emby sorts all Collections before individual items in folder view.

Are those all custom Collections?

No I have not put anything into collections. Everything is just how I have it listed in windows on my D:\ drive.

My guess is the items at the top of the list are being seen as actual folders and not movies and that the library is probably of a mixed or unknown type.

In that situation, we group folders before regular items (assuming people want to see their organizational folders as a group instead of among their items).

Ok so how would I get it to see everything as folders? I thought that's exactly what the folders list is supposed to do. As per my screenshot above everything is in a folder in the movies directory. Nothing is outside of a folder.

Edited by krogan

A single video file (or group of them that match our multi-version naming conventions) inside of a folder is treated as a Movie.  But if you didn't follow the conventions properly you could have what you think are supposed to be movies being resolved as folders.

I think the root of all of this (the perceived sorting issue as well as the metadata issues) are probably related to the structure and naming conventions in use (e.g. not following what we can support).

How, exactly, is this library setup?

A single video file (or group of them that match our multi-version naming conventions) inside of a folder is treated as a Movie.  But if you didn't follow the conventions properly you could have what you think are supposed to be movies being resolved as folders.

I think the root of all of this (the perceived sorting issue as well as the metadata issues) are probably related to the structure and naming conventions in use (e.g. not following what we can support).

How, exactly, is this library setup?

In windows the D:\ drive is my data drive. All content is located in a folder called Movies. All content is located in its own folder inside the movies folder as you can see in the screenshot above. On the emby server I have the folders view enabled.

I want everything listed as a folder. So are you saying I have to add multiple folders inside of additional folders if it only has a movie listed in a folder? Is there a way to circumvent anything as being treated as a movie and just display the folder list? I thought that's what the folder view was supposed to do?

Edited by krogan

If you have:

\movies\my movie folder\

mymovie.mkv

poster.png

mymovie.nfo

You want "my movie folder" to show up as a folder?  What is going to happen when you open it?  When it only has a single movie in it why would you want the additional folder level?  How would we handle the metadata?  

In our system, the above setup will always show "My movie" as a movie because that is how you set them up to be such.

Can we step back a bit and have you explain what are you actually trying to achieve?  Thanks.

If you have:

\movies\my movie folder\

mymovie.mkv

poster.png

mymovie.nfo

You want "my movie folder" to show up as a folder?  What is going to happen when you open it?  When it only has a single movie in it why would you want the additional folder level?  How would we handle the metadata?  

In our system, the above setup will always show "My movie" as a movie because that is how you set them up to be such.

Can we step back a bit and have you explain what are you actually trying to achieve?  Thanks.

All I want is Emby to sort everything in alphabetical order. I thought the way to do this would be to put everything into its own folder and then choose the folder view. Right now I have things that start with the same character not showing up until the 109th record when it should show up as the 3rd record.

I just looked at my folder structure to see if there was any difference in how they were formatted to see if that's what is causing the ones at the bottom not to show up at the top. However, there doesn't look to be any difference.

For example, the first record, Akame ga Kill, is listed under windows as the first record such as this

E:\Movies\[Anime] Akame ga Kill\

\episode1

\episode 2

\etc

Overlord which is 28th record in the Movies\ folder is showing up as the 113th record in Emby. Its folder structure is as follows

E:\Movies\[Anime] OverLord\

\episode 1

\episode 2

\etc

here are screenshots showing that:

7wO2I05.jpg

2WoPEKz.jpg

Edited by krogan

Happy2Play

@@Luke

What determines folder vs movie data-type in folder view?  Is it the content in the folder as Overlords has multiple episodes vs the others only having 1?  Looks like Unidentified plays a role also.

588a501c15204_type.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Why does the OP put his TV shows in with his movies? Is the OP using "mixed" as the type for the movie library?

Also, why are the "pirate rip" file/folder names not made more parseable? Scene groups always use folder and file names that can be notoriously difficult to parse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Why does the OP put his TV shows in with his movies? Is the OP using "mixed" as the type for the movie library?

Also, why are the "pirate rip" file/folder names not made more parseable? Scene groups always use folder and file names that can be notoriously difficult to parse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Because I want everything in one folder. I dont want to have to go to multiple folders for content. I have tried both creating a "test" group with mixed content and one without, it doesn't make a difference. I only change the folder names if they have non-english characters, however, that should not matter. I run both plex and kodi and neither have this issue. I'm trying to see if this is a bug or some other configuration item.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

What "Type" did you give the library?

Sounds like maybe you should be using "Home Videos".

Why would content type matter if it was "Folder" view?  Shouldn't all media types be present the same in Folder View?

It is more about how the items are resolved/interpreted as they are ingested in the system. A physical folder with a single video file in it is resolved in Emby as a movie because that is a common method of organizing them.  So, no matter the presentation style, that movie would always be a single, self-contained item - not a folder with a video in it.  At least, that's how I think it should work...

Edit: For clarity - the above is with a library type that attempts to resolve movies.  If you are using a different type, then the handling will be different - thus why I asked about the type.

Happy2Play

So that would mean Sort order is by type not by name.  But we already know this as Collections come before items.