Throttled connection?

KillermanGabe
Go to solution Solved by KillermanGabe,

pir8radio

Just tested storks at 10mbps and you are not sending to me fast enough.    Looks like its network related at first glance.

JeremyFr79

I can check tonight when I get home this evening if you need still, I got your PM this morning after I got to work.

JeremyFr79

Yeah checked on mine as well, I'm in Washington on a 180/25 connection and it's skippin like Gene Kelly in Singin in the Rain.........  I had it set at 1080p 4Mbps since the video I chose (interstellar) was only native at 3.6 Mbps.

KillermanGabe

well i could barely play anything on your site.   I did notice quite a few of your movies are not even encoded above 4mbps but I only looked at like 6 or so.   The only one i saw was martian at almost 10 mbps.      But you have something going on.. everything was slow. And cloudflare wont work well with emby.. FYI.  I was just going to request a feature today to address that issue.   

I am aware of the cloudflare issues. That's why I have the app.**.com extension for my theater apps. This is a direct connection and bypasses the CloudFlare proxy.

• Solution
KillermanGabe

So is this throttling or network issues?

Throttling, I had exceeded my bandwidth for the month...

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Throttling, I had exceeded my bandwidth for the month...

The ISP confirmed it? The douchenozzles! What is your data cap?

Guest asrequested

@@Luke, I had made the suggestion in another thread that maybe there should be a setting in the server that we set a streaming data cap. To help with situations like this. As part of the whole 'per user' bandwidth discussion. It's something to think about..

Edited by Doofus

KillermanGabe

The ISP confirmed it? The douchenozzles! What is your data cap?

The server is a dedicated VM hosted remotely so the monthly bandwidth on the server is 3TB. There are 10 other users who actively use the server so...  I upgraded to 10TB/month hopefully that will be more than enough.

Guest asrequested

The server is a dedicated VM hosted remotely so the monthly bandwidth on the server is 3TB. There are 10 other users who actively use the server so...  I upgraded to 10TB/month hopefully that will be more than enough.

Damn! That's a lot of data!

@@KillermanGabe I tested with a GoT episode but 720 1Mbps is about the highest I could go. There was a slight hick-up every 10 seconds or so. Going higher than 1Mbps resulted in a couple of seconds of playback followed by a couple of seconds of buffering.

From the same network I can stream 10Mbps (and higher) from my home server.

JeremyFr79

Damn! That's a lot of data!

I average close to 2TB on my home connection per month, it's not hard to do these days, gotta cut back though since Comcrap is now capping at 1TB, and it appears that will only get worse with the new head of the FCC that was just installed :(

Guest asrequested

I average close to 2TB on my home connection per month, it's not hard to do these days, gotta cut back though since Comcrap is now capping at 1TB, and it appears that will only get worse with the new head of the FCC that was just installed :(

I don't think we're capped down here, but I haven't checked in a while. I presently don't have any users, so I'm good for a bit. I've been meaning to look into fiber options, but I don't think it's quite made it to my street, yet.

Happy2Play

All ISPs have a fair use policy, but it is a matter of whether they enforce it or not.

• 4 months later...
sebasmiles

I don't want to hijack the topic but would there be any way to improve streaming to locations thousands of KM away from the server?

Ponyo,

Latency and bandwidth consistency becomes a problem with these long distance streaming. I have experienced this and requested in a separate post to see if the apps can be configured with additional buffers if memory is available (buffers right now seem very small, usually not a problem for most people but with sporadic internet you want to make sure you are taking advantage of the peaks by building a buffer). You can look up my posts and find it easily, unfortunately this is pretty low on priority and I have no idea if it will ever be included.