Throttled connection?

KillermanGabe
Go to solution Solved by KillermanGabe,

Guest asrequested

It's worked fine before. I don't believe its a hardware issue. My settings in theater are as follows: (I only listed the ones I changed from default)

Max Streaming Bitrate: Auto

Audio: 5.1

Bitstreaming: SPDIF

You're not using HDMI? Are you using an AVR?

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

The sound goes through optical to the receiver.

That may be your problem. Optical has a much lower capability than HDMI. If you're playing Atmos, TrueHD or pretty much anything more than basic 5.1, you'll have problems. My suggestion is to use HDMI for the entire stream.

Edited by Doofus

KillermanGabe

That may be your problem. Optical has a much lower capability than HDMI. If you're playing Atmos, TrueHD or pretty much anything more than basic 5.1, you'll have problems. My suggestion is to use HDMI for the entire stream.

I am streaming from my computer in my room, with a TV plugged into it. I use optical as the audio out as that tv doesn't use hdmi, it uses display port. I highly doubt this is the issue because I haven't changed any settings and it has worked flawlessly prior to this. I believe my connection to the server is being throttled in some way.

Guest asrequested

I am streaming from my computer in my room, with a TV plugged into it. I use optical as the audio out as that tv doesn't use hdmi, it uses display port. I highly doubt this is the issue because I haven't changed any settings and it has worked flawlessly prior to this. I believe my connection to the server is being throttled in some way.

But you're using an AVR with the system that isn't working correctly. You're probably trying to bitstream something that can't be handled. Why not test it, and prove me wrong? And BTW the display port has a higher capability than HDMI (I'm planning my next build around a display port).

KillermanGabe

But you're using an AVR with the system that isn't working correctly. You're probably trying to bitstream something that can't be handled. Why not test it, and prove me wrong? And BTW the display port has a higher capability than HDMI (I'm planning my next build around a display port).

The problem occurs without the AV receiver and bitstreaming turned off as well. And my AVR doesn't support Displayport so I can't use that for audio either.

Guest asrequested

The problem occurs without the AV receiver and bitstreaming turned off as well. And my AVR doesn't support Displayport so I can't use that for audio either.

So if you connect the HDMI directly to your tv, set the bitstreaming to none, you can't play any file, correctly? You didn't post all of your ET settings.

KillermanGabe

So if you connect the HDMI directly to your tv, set the bitstreaming to none, you can't play any file, correctly? You didn't post all of your ET settings.

I just set my audio device to my headphones and set bitstreaming to none. It outputs stereo sound and I still get the same stutter problem because it can't go above 3Mbps download. Even though I've tested my connection on both ends and they are well above that.

Guest asrequested

I just set my audio device to my headphones and set bitstreaming to none. It outputs stereo sound and I still get the same stutter problem because it can't go above 3Mbps download. Even though I've tested my connection on both ends and they are well above that.

To recap. The server reports a 10 Mb stream, your hardware is fine, the ET settings are all good, you have more than enough upload bandwidth at the server, you have enough download bandwidth at your location, your AV system is optimal, and your software installation is correct. That is a complete end to end check. Given that, you should have no problems...but you do. Something in that chain isn't as you believe it to be.

• Like 1

KillermanGabe

To recap. The server reports a 10 Mb stream, your hardware is fine, the ET settings are all good, you have more than enough upload bandwidth at the server, you have enough download bandwidth at your location, your AV system is optimal, and your software installation is correct. That is a complete end to end check. Given that, you should have no problems...but you do. Something in that chain isn't as you believe it to be.

Yes. I believe there is throttling some where in that chain. I submitted this asking if anyone has had a similar issue and to see if there was a problem somewhere within Emby. This isn't the first time this has happened. Last time it resolved itself after a couple days of no streaming. Thats what leads me to believe it is ISP throttling. I've tried using a VPN to circumvent this but that doesn't help either. My connection to my server is just capped at 2-4Mbps. I will be contacting my ISP tomorrow to ask them about it.

JeremyFr79

My server is located in Virginia. I live in Ohio so distance shouldn't be too much of an issue. Especially because the machine has a gigabit fiber connection. Also, something really weird, if I use my laptop to stream it works fine. Going well above the 2mbps my desktop seems to be limited to. This is okay, just I can't play it to my home theater like my desktop is hooked up too. I find this extremely odd though seeing as both my desktop and laptop are on the same network. The desktop is wired actually.

My response was directed at Ponyo, as to your issue yes it sounds like your ISP is probably traffic shaping the hell out of you, is it a TV Provider related ISP i.e. do they have their own TV/Streaming options?  If so they most likely actively throttle any outbound streaming their customers may be attempting to do to keep competition to their pay offerings down.  And with the upcoming changes to those in charge of the FCC this kind of shit will only get worse now.

I don't want to hijack the topic but would there be any way to improve streaming to locations thousands of KM away from the server?

KillermanGabe

My response was directed at Ponyo, as to your issue yes it sounds like your ISP is probably traffic shaping the hell out of you, is it a TV Provider related ISP i.e. do they have their own TV/Streaming options? If so they most likely actively throttle any outbound streaming their customers may be attempting to do to keep competition to their pay offerings down. And with the upcoming changes to those in charge of the FCC this kind of shit will only get worse now.

Are you talking about them throttling the outbound on the server's connection? If so it is a VM hosted on AWS so I doubt they would limit a customers outbound traffic. Is it possible my home ISP could be throttling my download?

KillermanGabe

create a guest account and PM one of these guys the login info to test.

Okay I sent a PM to a couple of the people in this thread.

Who is your provider?

ATT put fiber in my neighborhood last summer and I investigated moving to it.  Their contract had lots of language about what they could do to limit you below the stated speeds of 1Gb/1Gb.  Also, to get their best rate, you had to allow them to watch your traffic for the purpose of providing targeted marketing materials.

KillermanGabe

Who is your provider?

ATT put fiber in my neighborhood last summer and I investigated moving to it. Their contract had lots of language about what they could do to limit you below the stated speeds of 1Gb/1Gb. Also, to get their best rate, you had to allow them to watch your traffic for the purpose of providing targeted marketing materials.

I have Cox internet. 150/10. There isn't any residential fiber in my location.

Guest asrequested

I'm wondering why you can stream OK on one device, but not the other. Why would they throttle one and not the other? Or am I misunderstanding something? Laptop OK, HTPC not, correct?

I was going from this:

Yes, nothing has changed with the server's connection. A speed test shows it still has 1000/1000. If I switch the quality to 720p 1Mbps it plays fine. But looks bad :/

There are a number of links in the chain here and all of them are potentially relevant.

Try using the download function for a video with the 3-dot menu on the detail screen. see what kind of speed you get there. thanks.

KillermanGabe

I'm wondering why you can stream OK on one device, but not the other. Why would they throttle one and not the other? Or am I misunderstanding something? Laptop OK, HTPC not, correct?

That's how it was originally. Now both get ultra low speeds when streaming.

Try using the download function for a video with the 3-dot menu on the detail screen. see what kind of speed you get there. thanks.

I get the same speed. If I look at the connection graph in task manager when I start streaming it spikes to 20Mbps then immediately drops to 2-4Mbps.

Well that is just static file transfer so now we know it has nothing to do with playback. That also pretty much confirms that it's out of Emby Server's control.

KillermanGabe

Well that is just static file transfer so now we know it has nothing to do with playback. That also pretty much confirms that it's out of Emby Server's control.

Yay. Anyone else connect and experience an issue? It would help rule whether it's my home ISP or the server internet. I PMed a couple of you the login.

pir8radio

well i could barely play anything on your site.   I did notice quite a few of your movies are not even encoded above 4mbps but I only looked at like 6 or so.   The only one i saw was martian at almost 10 mbps.      But you have something going on.. everything was slow. And cloudflare wont work well with emby.. FYI.  I was just going to request a feature today to address that issue.   

Edited by pir8radio