How do you organize your Photo libraries?

orcist

I'm just getting started on adding a life time of photos to Emby, and I was wondering how others organize their libraries. My personal photos go back 50 years. Then there's my wife's family's and my parent's family photos. Some of mine are family photos, but a lot are landscapes and buildings.

So how do you organize yours. Any tips?

Thanks!

nuahsocramid

Evening!

My photo album goes back 18yrs and organized by year # and then month #. So 2000 with sub-folders of 01 through 12. And if an event warrants its own folder then I'll create a new folder within that month #. So 2000 / 01 / Event Title. With the camera upload/sync function in Emby I have a "Photos to be synced" folder and within that folder are folders for each device (my phone & wife's phone). When Emby does its camera sync the device folder gets another set of folders (automatically via Emby) depending on where they reside in your phone. For example my device folder has other sub-folders titled: Camera, Downloaded, Screenshots, Hangouts.

I've recently become cognizant of all the data Google collects. Although I enjoy google and their products...I felt having 18yrs of photos is a tad much. Especially when I have my own server & backups that can do this for me. It took me over 8 hours to remove all my photos from Google! They don't make it easy.

Browsing through my hierarchy of photos on Emby is easy and makes sense for me. I use their photo viewer on both the phone app and Android TV.

Their are only 2 issues I currently have...posted and Luke & Team are looking into...are videos recorded on my phone are no longer uploading/syncing and photos aren't going into my devices folder anymore. These issues started after I did a factory reset on my Nexus 6 which was about a month or so ago.

Otherwise I enjoy Emby's Camera Upload and Photo viewer.

Hope that helps!

~sd

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

@@nuahsocramid thanks for the feedback !

as far as the device folders go, you may need to configure that again in your Emby server dashboard. When you reset the phone it's possible the phone's AndroidID changed which now results in the server seeing it as a different device.

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks !

nuahsocramid

@@Luke I'm honestly not sure what "need to configure that again in your Emby dashboard." means. The andriodID potentially changing makes sense. But does this mean I go into the devices section, find my phone, and hit the garbage can button? And then sign back on with my phone? Thanks for your time.

~sd

In other words if you configured a specific upload folder for that device, you may need to do it again.

nuahsocramid

...And in my absent mind I truly don't recall where I directed my phone to sync it's photos. I do recall where I told Emby to save these synced photos in a different location...And there was a check box for something along the lines of "make a new folder for each device". So are you recommending I create a new sync folder? Or is there a section where I direct each device to a specific folder?

nuahsocramid

@@Luke

In the sync - camera uploads section of the dashboard it states specific folders can be assigned to a device by clicking on it in the devices page. When I go to the devices tab, click on my phone, all I can do is rename the phone. Is there another section I'm just not visually seeing?

Thanks

nuahsocramid

@@Luke

Morning. Trying that...And clicking into devices, then my device (and Bride's), I'm still not seeing an option to direct either device to a specific folder. Interesting thing, which is why I clicked on my Bride's too is that my phone is showing up as "Android TV". Where as my Bride's is listed as mobile phone. I clicked the trash can for my device, logged back in, and it starts as a mobile device, and then changes back to AndroidTV.

You must have the android tv app installed on the phone, which is fine if you do, there's nothing preventing you from doing that.

nuahsocramid

@@Luke

...Confirmed I'm on the "Emby for Android" and not "Emby for Android TV" app. But if it doesn't matter, then no biggie.

nuahsocramid

My bad....I was looking at the change log and assumed that was the version. I'm on 2.8.40

Ok, thanks for digging all this up and apologies, it is actually an issue on the current released server and has already been corrected for the next release. Thanks.

nuahsocramid

@@Luke

No need to apologise. Other forms/products have no where near the response rate as You & Team. So it's appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
nuahsocramid

@@Luke wanted to followup that I'm seeing the option to direct my device to a specific folder now for camera uploads. So thank you.

The other thing I wanted to followup on was a prior issue of not being to upload MP4s from my phone. Those are still not taking place. Any thoughts there?

Thanks as always.

• 2 months later...
Blueeyiz702

@@Luke is there a optimal size for personal photo's in Emby, I use this folder for my images that so on scrren with the emby for samsung app.

We don't really have any guidelines because the server can scale them down when they are too big.  But just like video transcoding there is a cost to that so keep that in mind.

BAlGaInTl

I haven't really used Emby for photo management yet.  I do have a LOT of photos spanning about 20 years in digital form.

Most of them I organize in folders with a date and description of the event.  This was for sorting/searching purposes.

For Example

20170401 April Fools Day

When organizing old photos if I wasn't sure of the date, I would do something like

20050100 Some Event

Now, I keep a copy of all my photos on the server, but have let Google Photos do the organization for me.  I uploaded all my photos.  Not only does it provide a powerful backup solution of high quality photos (for free), the searching and indexing are simply phenomenal.  I will use their tools to find a photo, then I can go to my server and pull the originals if I need to.

I love Emby, but I'm not sure it would ever be able to handle the size/complexity of my library.  Google has just made it too easy.

Edited by BAlGaInTl