What backup software?

Guest asrequested

legallink

@@PenkethBoy

It isn't that granular.  You can choose hard drives, but you can't choose folders (which I believe you can do in Crashplan if I recall correctly).

For me, it isn't that big of a deal , because I segregate a lot of my data based on drives.  Media drives don't contain anything other than media etc.

Here's a link from backblaze:  https://www.backblaze.com/remote-backup-everything.html

Edited by legallink

PenkethBoy

thanks - unfortunately as i use Drivepool assigning HDD rather than folders is going to be a pain to keep an eye on

and Windows 2012R2 is not supported by the non business version

Oh well good idea while it lasted 

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

I'm really not convinced on the need to keep your entire media collection backed up online.

If the media file is static (which it should be, you have no need to change it..) then a once only copy of the file kept on a HDD that is ideally kept 'offsite' is all that you require to cover you if the original file is ever lost.  

For frequently changing files, then of course online backup is just another backup method that obviously has the advantage of being 'offsite'.

Backup rotation or versioning is also a key feature you need to include in your backup policy - as something like Ransomware may have also corrupted your 'latest' backup - making the ability to restore useless.

I personally use SyncbackPro (with versioning) to copy non-video media files to the cloud, but also copy to offsite NAS and local copies to ensure I always have MULTIPLE copies on different media and access methods.

All my video media is on external HDD's as that is static and has a) no need to be 'online' 2) no need for monthly expense (*)  3) doesn't take forever to upload  and 4) isn't open to being abused 'in the cloud' by the provider or hackers...

(*) - No need to buy HDD's either as I just 'recycle' old HDD's that have been upgraded for bigger capacity models.  For example, I now use old 2Tb HDD's as backup for new 4Tb models that are serving the 'online' media..  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

Indeed, does what all the paid apps do but free. Because it's open source and a strong community behind it it's always kept updated. Has manual sink as well as auto when changes are detected as well as timed schedules and all different modes such as copying, mirroring, 1 way.. 2 way and so on. Its very robust and customizable. You really don't need anything else and certainly don't need to pay to get these features.

Edited by a1b2c3

funwithmedia

I'm a fan of SpiderOak and CrashPlan. I have both running all the time. SpiderOak can sync, so I use it for data that needs to be synced between multiple machines (though you can use it for just backup too). I use CrashPlan for backing up TB's of data that I'm not syncing with SpiderOak. Both of them have the ability to let you manage your own encryption key (so data is readable only by you, even when at rest on their servers), and both do block-level backup and de-duplication of data (for more efficient backups). CrashPlan's Backup Sets functionality, Scheduling and Versioning is far more robust than SpiderOak though.

SpiderOak just had a World Backup Day promotion a few days ago for Unlimited Backup Plans ( https://spideroak.com/articles/world-backup-day-what-files-matter-to-you-most ). If you act fast (and ask nicely) they might still give you that deal. :)

Allan Cameron

What do you guys think IDrive,SpiderOakOne or Tresorit? I have 1TB on Google drive but they like to examine every file,which is not kewl !

And it cost me about 120.00 a year

I use Amazon Drive. Nothing touches them for price and storage. $59.99 (CA) a year for UNLIMITED storage.

Plus being Amazon you know your backups are safe. There servers are considered among the best/safest in the the industry.

• 4 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

That looks good for a free app

About FreeFileSync, just be careful which website you grab it from, a few of them like to bundle it with junk. At least be very careful with the small characters/optional checkboxes.

As an extra layer, compare your list of installed programs before and after installing FreeFileSync.

Once you have this out of the way, it is a fabulous piece of software, and quite unique too.

Mine is setup to one-way mirror A to B, and absolutely not 2 way,. A to B, then B to A, that would be catastrophic for me.

If I lose something on my source "A" server, I don't want the software to automatically delete the copy on "B", hence 1 way only.

Edited by jlr19

Guest asrequested

I haven't gotten round to picking up the other drives, yet. And I'll have to buy some more stuff, first :D

Edited by Doofus

CharleyVarrick

I was going to ask, must have been a solid week for you without any purchase, are you okay??? :D

• Like 1

One2Go

I am a bit puzzeled here about the backup strategy, I do the OS and the pertinent installations on the C-Drive of my NUC that is an HTPC, so that in a very short time replacing the M2 500GB drive and reinstalling the OS drive, that I can understand.

But my media servers have capacity of 48TB to preserve that I run UnRaid with two parity drives. Should up to two drives fail at any given time just place in 2 new drives and run the restore and I am back on line. Don't think it is worth backing up tens of TBs on-line. Wether it is worth to have tens of TBs is a different story. :lol:

zigzagtshirt

I am a bit puzzeled here about the backup strategy, I do the OS and the pertinent installations on the C-Drive of my NUC that is an HTPC, so that in a very short time replacing the M2 500GB drive and reinstalling the OS drive, that I can understand.

But my media servers have capacity of 48TB to preserve that I run UnRaid with two parity drives. Should up to two drives fail at any given time just place in 2 new drives and run the restore and I am back on line. Don't think it is worth backing up tens of TBs on-line. Wether it is worth to have tens of TBs is a different story. :lol:

What drives is your UnRaid server made up of, out of curiosity?

CharleyVarrick

Don't think it is worth backing up tens of TBs on-line. Wether it is worth to have tens of TBs is a different story. :lol:

@@One2Go,

what if your computer holding those tens of TB catches fire or get water damage, gets stolen, is abducted by alien.

I'm afraid your present unraid solution won't bring you much of that media back...

Personnaly, I have my house sprayed for aliens every season, but for other event, I need a backup.

Edited by jlr19

One2Go

What drives is your UnRaid server made up of, out of curiosity?

I am using 4TB HGST drives not a failure in since they came available in years. Also have eight 2TB Samsung drives now for 8 years not a single failure.

The HGST drives have the least rate of failure and hardly ever see a sale and when they do they fly off the shelf. My QNAP NAS runs two 4TB drives 24/7 in a mirror configuration.

So unless there is an alien abduction I am set. It does though pay to have insurance for mysterious disappearances.

CharleyVarrick

So unless there is an alien abduction I am set. It does though pay to have insurance for mysterious disappearances.

Insurance would cover physical stuff replacement, but would do little good for your data.

Read many times on this forum people saying "media is of no concern to me". If a catastrophic event would wipe my media collection, I would not get over it, plain and simple.

CBers

As long as your irreplaceable content is secured away, on cloud storage perhaps, then everything is is irrelevant.

My family photos are automatically backed up to my Google Photos account. Good enough in case of a force majeure.

Everything else is either duplicated via Drive Bender and/or to discs on other PCs. Good enough in case of a disc failure.

One2Go

There is stuff on my server that is personal and irreplaceable that is in the cloud. Of most of my other media I have watched if I loose that, I will try to get it back when I remember or when I need it, 8 years retention on Usenet, 6 years retention on my favorite P2P trackers will do the rest to restore what I want back. The other media that I have yet to watch can't be all that important.

In some of the forums that I hang out people lost HDDs and friends in those forums posted some of it password protected on Usenet, so either way I think I am covered for catastrophic failures.

Edited by One2Go

Guest asrequested

I haven't decided what kind of backup system I want, yet. I may build a backup storage, just for fun. I should do some kind of cloud thingy, for some stuff.

CharleyVarrick

In the end it all depends in what you deem important and what's expandable.

Me, well "MechaShark vs Godzilla" is of course expandable, but having spent considerable time and money to download, organize and store it all, I would still feel a loss should I loose it.

As we speak, I am baby stepping into Amazon Cloud unlimited backup/60$ a year (first 3 months free). I'll see how it goes (but so far it's S-L-O-W).