What backup software?

Guest asrequested

the1legend

Crashplan, the free version that backs up to a local external drive. I also use the friends feature that backs up to another external drive that I keep at my moms house.  

• Like 1

My backup strategy involves three elements.

1. For system drive backups, which include primarily the OS, installed software, and "light" documents that are not huge files, I make Acronis True Image backups and store them on multiple hard drives including an offline (not plugged in, lightning safe) copy. The intent of this is that if my system drive fails, I can be back up in running in less than an hour starting with a bare metal drive. Or whatever the term is for a brand new SSD these days. I routinely store copies of my system drives on a portable HD that gets rotated into the safety deposit box at the bank, several times per year, so if my house is struck by meteor or whatever, any information on the system drive up to the last rotation is recoverable in situ this way.

2. Large files (not counting video media relevant to Emby), such as my family picture archive or my model rocketry archive (that's my other hobby!) are also backed up with Acronis True Image, separately from the system drive backups, and stored in a similar fashion including offsite backups at the bank.

3. I run Carbonite, which backs up all the data files including my photos and such to the cloud. Useless to restore a system drive, but handy enough and it works well. They store stuff for a while after you delete it locally, so if the Russian mafia holds my data hostage, I can probably recover it from Carbonite (and if not, there's always my offline backup). I like having the data available in the cloud; I often use the Carbonite app on my phone to access pictures and stuff.

Note, I also run Google Drive, and have certain highly used shared files there, less as a backup strategy and more as a convenience factor.

So, I have convenient and accessible ways to recover from drive failures of my system, my photos are safe in multiple ways, and I have protection against my own careless accidental deletion of files.

I don't worry about my media libraries. I mostly have on Emby either stuff that's waiting to be watched then deleted, or stuff I own on disc and can easily re-rip... it's not worth the expense of backing that stuff up to me.

Marc

Guest asrequested

I'm only looking to backup my multimedia (movies, videos, music etc). I'm not worried about the OS. I'm actually happy to reinstall the OS, from time to time. I'm thinking about building a backup server, so I wanted to see what everyone was using.

legallink

I use backblaze. Upload times are respectable for an unlimited backup service, and I've even had to restore a movie file or two and it only took an hour or so (obviously if a whole hard drive went down I'd probably pay them to mail me a drive).

Tried crashplan and Carbonite and the upload speeds were too painful. Even as it is, backblaze took about a month to upload everything (however that is with scheduled uploads outside of peak usage times to manage bandwidth).

Ian-Highlander

I've used Sync Back Pro for years now ( https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html ), mirroring all my content between duplicate drives for everything (more than one for important stuff). Bit hardware expensive doing it that way, but I've always been happy with it. It can run constantly and replicate any changes automatically or it can run scheduled or just set tasks as manual.

I have a section of tasks I run manually as required for when media is added and a section of scheduled tasks that run automatically once a day. I ran them on auto for a while, but the downside of that is if you make a mistake on a file, it's automatically replicated to the back up, by scheduling them at least I have a few hours to realise my mistake :D

587cade9795d6_Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

puithove

BTRFS filesystem with hourly, daily, weekly snapshot rotation - then snapshots are sent to 2nd server's drive pool each night with BTRFS send / receive.  

JeremyFr79

I use crashplan paid and I love it, been a happy customer for nearly 5 years now.  It allows file version journaling which saved my ass BIG TIME with my wife's user folder.  It's extremely well priced for the features it offers and it's unlimited data backup.

FrostByte

I'm using the build in Storage Spaces that comes with Windows for my media drive.  It probably doesn't have all the features as some options mentioned, but it has saved me from a bad drive or two already

JeremyFr79

I'm using the build in Storage Spaces that comes with Windows for my media drive.  It probably doesn't have all the features as some options mentioned, but it has saved me from a bad drive or two already

"redudancy or RAID" should never EVER be considered a backup.......

JeremyFr79

To elaborate a bit like MARC, my backup strategy is multi pronged (as backups should be)  All systems backup nightly to my main file server where it is stored on a pair of RAID6 arrays.  Data that I actually care about is then backed up in near real time from the file server to CrashPlan as well as another offsite provider.  A true "backup" is a copy of your data that is contained offsite geographically separated from your residence/business by at least 250 miles.  Otherwise it's just a "copy" of your data.

Edited by JeremyFr79
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I just have some redundancy, right now. But I'm thinking about doing something like Jeremy's. So this is all great info. Thanks again, guys.

Guest asrequested

I've used Sync Back Pro for years now ( https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html ), mirroring all my content between duplicate drives for everything (more than one for important stuff). Bit hardware expensive doing it that way, but I've always been happy with it. It can run constantly and replicate any changes automatically or it can run scheduled or just set tasks as manual.

I have a section of tasks I run manually as required for when media is added and a section of scheduled tasks that run automatically once a day. I ran them on auto for a while, but the downside of that is if you make a mistake on a file, it's automatically replicated to the back up, by scheduling them at least I have a few hours to realise my mistake :D

587cade9795d6_Untitled.jpg

I'm using stablebit, which has a backup similar to that, but I want an independent backup, should something catastrophic happen.

Ian-Highlander

I'm using stablebit, which has a backup similar to that, but I want an independent backup, should something catastrophic happen.

Oh I take mine to extremes a bit, didn't go into detail in my last post, but what I posted above is just the normal daily/bi-daily backups.

Almost all my "live" data is on multiple independent RAID 6 arrays to start with so there is already some protection/redundancy there allowing for three disk failures on each array before loss of data (one hot spare in each unit), however as has been correctly pointed out earlier by someone else, this is not a backup and should never be thought of as one. The backups all run to external USB drives as per above because they're nice and cheap (relatively) for large amounts of rarely accessed storage and on a fairly regular basis I swap those drives out for an alternative set, giving an additional backup set. The really important stuff (personal documents, photos etc) gets encrypted onto even more additional drives and shipped off to my parents house every so often for them to store in the event of a disaster as well.

Still the potential for disaster no matter how well you backup your data, but I like to think I'm protected fairly well against it.

The one thing I do refuse to do thus far is store any of my personal files/information in "the cloud", I think it's the I.T. geek in me I'd rather have full control of my own data personally.

I also didn't go into a fraction of the functionality of Sync Back Pro (I'm in no way affiliated with it and am just a happy customer), but it also does FTP transfer, cloud sync, versioning and all sorts of other useful stuff that I've never used :)

Edited by Ian-Highlander

PenkethBoy

I use syncbackpro as well - and yes it has loads of options beyond what I use - once configured its very easy to set and forget.

• 1 month later...
Blueeyiz702

What do you guys think IDrive,SpiderOakOne or Tresorit? I have 1TB on Google drive but they like to examine every file,which is not kewl !

And it cost me about 120.00 a year

Edited by blueeyiz7021

CharleyVarrick

I too used to be a Crashplan user, but severe upload speed bottleneck on their servers drove me away. The ETA for an initial backup was over 18 months, but in fact it would have never completed because of constant data turnaround on my side.

If offsite backup is not a must, or else you have moderate size backup to do, it's worth a try, + last time I used it, the only feature that wasn't free was offsite backup to their server. Local to another PC on your LAN, or even offsite to a friend's was free.

If offsite is important, mirror your data locally (and quickly) to a similar computer, then get the "copy" computer to your friend's house and then set it up as offsite, but with the big initial job already done, you only have small daily incremental's left to worry about.

In the last year, I have been happy using FreeFileSync to one-way mirror my server to an identical twin server.

Edited by jlr19

legallink

I've used Spideoak before and it isn't designed for this, but it could work if your willing to pay for it. I'm a big backblaze fan. I don't recall if it's encrypted.

tiandiren

Backup for what? If for Android phone, I am using Vibosoft Android Mobile Manager, which can help me backup, transfer and manager data on Android phone easily. 

PenkethBoy

Curious about backblaze - do they "complain" if you install on your windows server with with 10's of TB of data - is there a limit they impose at all?

Website implies not last time i looked

Anybody got 20, 30, 40...TB on backblaze?

legallink

@@PenkethBoy I've got about 13TB on Backblaze, haven't had a complaint and been using it for about 2 years.  With that, I haven't noticed a limit at all, have even had to recover a couple of files that accidentally were deleted.

My choice of Backblaze over crashplan was that upload speeds were significantly faster, by a factor of probably close to 10x.  That is purely subjective, as everyone's upload speeds (at least as far as I've researched on forums) are different.  With Crashplan, it was going to take me over 2 years to upload all my files, and that was assuming I wasn't going to add any files (which I do on a regular basis).*

With Backblaze, it took a little over 2 months to upload everything.

*Caveat....I do not upload 24/7.  I only have Blackblaze (and when I was using it Crashplan) upload during server low usage times, which is between 3am and 5pm in my world.