Live TV Guide?

gardar

gardar

Is there any way to get the live tv guide from emby to kodi?

And if not, are there any plans of implementing this?

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

gardar

I'm aware of Emby Theater, but I'm running everything on Linux so Emby Theater is not an option.

I hope the Kodi addon dev's can add improved live tv support soon :)

im85288

I hope the Kodi addon dev's can add improved live tv support soon :)

As mentioned in another thread I (and I think the other devs too...although I may actually be the only one using live tv) am more than happy using a native Kodi pvr backend. Without boring people with details some of the backends such as TVHeadend are optimised to improve channel changing times etc

We have discussed this a few times and the conclusion is if Emby wants to support live tv in Kodi correctly then they need to create a backend plugin (such as the ones mentioned). To clarify things a bit all of us Kodi devs do this for free in our own time and we have no control of what Emby decides to do (so you will need to keep asking Luke to get the resources to build the Emby backend for Kodi). For now we will only provide the experimental support already provided so do not expect it to be integrated using this addon.

im85288

@@im85288 - can a Kodi PVR record to a network location where Emby could pick it up and process?

Yes sure that's a possibility, I've done that before and Emby nicely scrapes the info.

CBers

Yes sure that's a possibility, I've done that before and Emby nicely scrapes the info.

Cool.

Might be a solution for people in the short-term.

SkyBehind

So one thing I found is the the TV Guide app for Kodi.  I think the HD Homerun app does a better job, but I digress.  So here's what I did.

- For one, my TV Guide I use the Zap2XML script to create an XML file of my EPG data, this is how I have my scheduling data in Emby as well.  I used to use Schedule's Direct, but Zap2XML is free, so yeah.

- I installed the TV Guide app for Kodi.  Pointed it to the XML file that's created for TV scheduling/programming.

- Now with each channel, you can have it point towards a stream file or app to open the channel.  I've tried both... I've created a strm file for that channel and then used that as the option for the channel in the TV Guide app.  I also discovered that you can point it to the channels in the Emby.

-- For the Emby app, you go to the Live TV channels and save them as favorites (long press >> add to favorites).  Then in the TV Guide App, when you click on the channel it gives you the option to add opening a stream or app as default action.  I chose the app and selected the channel I had added to favorites.  Then when I open TV Guide app, it shows all programming and if I click on a channel, it opens that Live TV channel in Emby.

Hope that helps.  It's kind of a quick and dirty and there are limitations, like not being able to set recording and not being able to just change channels (you have to stop playing, like if you were watching a show from the TV library as opposed to just hitting the channel up button).  Let me know if you have any questions as I'm just typing this all from memory; I can actually look at the specifics if you need clarification.

im85288

I do the same but use webgrab plus to get my epg data (if your using libreelec it's a simple kodi addon install) but instead of the TV guide app I use my own version: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289523

Very powerful as it lets you create your TV guide as you want it with as many different sources for your tv as you like.

Oh and with my version you don't need to stop tv to change channels, it has a quick TV guide you can access as per screenshots in the thread above

Edited by im85288
  • Like 2

SkyBehind

That looks pretty sweet. I'm going to give that a try, I'll let you know.  Much better than using TV Guide I'm sure!

Hello, I also expect a PVR Kodi management in emby.

I want to replace my tvheadend with full emby management.

It is the only thing that makes that I do not take of emby premium.

@@Luke, please can you add resources to build the Emby backend for Kodi ?

Thanks,

SkyBehind

Hello, I also expect a PVR Kodi management in emby.

I want to replace my tvheadend with full emby management.

It is the only thing that makes that I do not take of emby premium.

@@Luke, please can you add resources to build the Emby backend for Kodi ?

Thanks,

That's a lot of expectation for something you're not even paying for.  Even if you do pay the paltry fee of Emby Premium, you need to set your "expectations" as the Dev's prioritize their efforts.

mellomade

If you are using the built-in Live TV functionality for Emby and because it requires the HDHomeRun devices, you can just use the 'HDHomerun' PVR add-on that is included in the Kodi repo since Jarvis.

For Live TV it is great - no setup required and it has 4 hours of guide data for free (for now anyway)!  Of course it does not include any PVR functionality - but I find that I really never select a show to record from Kodi anyway.  I am never far from a tablet or phone with Emby on it and it has been easier for me to maintain my scheduled recordings that way.

Edited by mellomade

puithove

@@Luke - I was thinking, if you want to give folks a different option in the meantime (not that there aren't plenty of higher priorities)...

Kodi has a LiveTV addon called "PVR IPTV Simple Client".  It's purpose is to use a M3U list of IPTV channels, and use them like a PVR backend including guide data.  You configure it with:

1. URL to M3U file
  2. URL to XMLTV for guide data
  3. (Optional) Channel logo images - though this isn't needed if the M3U contains channel logo URLs

What Emby could do:

1. Expose an endpoint URL where a client could request an M3U listing (optional ? param to have URLs in M3U point to transcoded streams)
  2. Generate a M3U with URLs to its LiveTV channel endpoints (transcoded if requested)
  3. Expose an endpoint URL to an XMLTV of all Emby's guide data for its provided channels

This would bring Emby's LiveTV channel/tuner management into Kodi.  It would not provide timeshifting, recording management, or anything other than LiveTV playback & Guide.  Recordings could be setup via Emby's web interface (or other clients) and once recording finishes, could be played back as a normal media file from the Recordings library via the current sync addon.

Also, this could actually have uses beyond Kodi as well because then anything that consumes an M3U / XMLTV could make use of Emby's management.

Though now that I type all that out, I'm not sure how the user authentication would work.

• Like 2

puithove

Sorry - more thoughts on this...

User Auth:  Make a wizard in the LiveTV server settings that would create an API key tied to a particular user.  The wizard would show the full URL that would need to be copy/pasted into Kodi or other app to pull the M3U / XMLTV.  Wizard could also include checkboxes for any other options such as transcoding bandwidth, video size, desired host name, etc so that they can be included in the request URL for the M3U.  Settings page could store URLs for future reference.

When M3U is generated, use whatever protocol, port, and hostname/IP that was used to make the request in the URLs used for the channels inside the M3U so that different clients could have different access methods.

Edited by puithove