Random movie / episode feature

pulse00

pulse00

The dashboard panel currently has a couple of different views like latest items etc. Would a pull request for a new panel type "Random Episode/Movie" have a chance to be merged?

• Like 1

We are currently hashing out home screen unification for all apps, so whether or not this would get merged in would depend on if this is something we want to be seen in every app.

Why not take a look at this?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

You can make the change and then share it with the community for installation into their app.

pulse00

We are currently hashing out home screen unification for all apps, so whether or not this would get merged in would depend on if this is something we want to be seen in every app.

Why not take a look at this?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

You can make the change and then share it with the community for installation into their app.

To be honest, i still don't get the idea behind this and where the development is heading to. As far as i understand, emby theater is a new (html+js) frontend for the emby mediaserver - but currently it's a windows only thing.

Emby media server itself comes also with a web interface (which is the old one i guess).

What exactly is the difference between those two? Will one replace the other in the future?

Are you kidding :) ?

Emby Theater is currently on:

• Browsers (web app)
  • Windows
  • Samsung Smart TV's
  • PS4
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Linux

and more, yet to be announced deployments are on the way. That means you can build a single skin that will work on all of those devices.

pulse00

I don't want to be mean, but the page here clearly says "Emby Theater is available for Windows 7, 8, 10 and Vista." https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

So don't blame me if this is somewhat confusing :)

This is now kinda off topic, but my confusion still remains: What's the difference between the Web-Client i'm using when starting emby-mediaserver and emby theater?

Edited by pulse00

The download page is structured by device, not app name. So you click on the device you have and it will show the available app for that device. On devices where Emby Theater is the only option we prefer to just call it Emby.

The difference is that the built in web app is not designed for tv usage. Actually in general Emby Theater is just a newer take on the web app. Ultimately the built in web app will also receive the same skinning engine.

No, if you follow the Emby Theater skinning instructions, you can do everything you need to do with the chrome browser. You do not need to install anything. That is the recommended approach.

Koleckai Silvestri

Isn't "Suggested" and "Next Up" much more likely to be useful?

I personally do not find any of the suggestions (i.e. "Because you watched") tabs to be of any value at all. Next Up is only for television. A button to start a random movie would be something that is interesting. Some may like it for television but I don't watch television in random orders.

pulse00

Regarding the skinning option: So if i create a emby server plugin with custom api endpoints and a corresponding skin, i can build pretty much any custom stuff i want - or do i have some restrictions there?

pulse00

I see. As far as i understand if i load emby theater from http://tv.emby.media/ the skin will then connect directly to the api of the server i select or enter manually. Where are the emby-theater settings saved - like the installed plugins or the selected skin?

in the app's storage facility. in the case of the pure web app, in the browser's local storage.