Roku/Emby on 4k TV has Audio Delay and Video Jitter

butch79

butch79

Hello All,
​I have recently upgraded 1 of my TVs to a 4K TV. After doing so, I am having issues with Emby on my Roku. Audio sometimes will not stay in sync with the video. Also the video can be choppy. In doing troubleshooting, I have done the below things.

-Started with Roku 3 4200x unit

-Removed Emby app and reinstalled it. No change

-Replaced Roku 3 4200x with a Roku Ultra 4640R

-Removed Emby app and reinstalled it. No change

-Played with the Roku resolution settings. No change

-In Emby app, changed preferences so that bitrate was higher. Default is 3.2Mbps, played with this setting all the way up to 9Mbps. This made the biggest change for me. I dropped bitrate back to 7Mbps, with OK results.

I am still having occasional issues where Emby either has to buffer the video now or the audio will also occasionally go out of sync. What further things should I try to resolve the issue?

Thank you,

@@butch79

Try using the blue neon night roku app. Make sure to raise the max framerate setting to 61fps. Make sure to also raise the local bitrate to 40Mbps. Also raise the max refframe to 16. The remote bitrate and livetv bitrate change accordingly too to whatever your bandwidth/transcoding-cpu allows. The roku3 is a poor choice for a 4k TV. The roku ultra makes a much better partner.

Without knowing what it is you are playing makes it so that one can only subjectively guess that the video stream is being transcoded if it appears choppy. This is why I suggest trying the blue neon app and seeing how far you get. There is better device detection and support in the app. It also allows you to try to "force directstream" and see if you can force the device to play the media directly. If it can, you may experience issues of no video or audio. In this case you should "use auto-detection" and let the app pick what is the best way to play it. If the app tries to direct play items which have audio or video issues, you can use "force transcoding" on that item. This will allow these items to play at the cost of transcoding them. There should be nothing this app isnt capable of playing one way or another.

If you read through the thread above you will find most of the answers to what the app can do compared to the official app. It is a community driven app, so it isn't meant to replace the official app. The two can be side by side on your homescreen. If you have any questions, or if this app doesn't resolve your issues make sure to "system update" your roku ultra. The early 7.5x firmwares on these new devices was giving poor playback in 4k. These should all have been reverted back to 7.22 in later updates. Make sure when you choose "system update" you get the your system is up to date message.

If still having problems, please come back and give more context to the issue. The roku firmware version, the app version number, the media information of the item attempted to play, any transcoding logs created, and the debug log from the server. Without all of this, its possible an issue can sneak through the cracks so try to be overly verbose.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

DTS-HD pass through is semi-unsupported on roku models (including the ultra - except for the core 5.1 dts stream) but I believe the dts sync bug at the roku firmware level still hasn't been fixed

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100471&start=45

Likely need to switch audio streams to DD/DD+/Stereo or try the "Convert DTS to AC3" option via the blue neon night roku app (if you have DD audio decoding capability) 

Edited by Nisten

joeshmoe1

DTS-HD pass through is semi-unsupported on roku models (including the ultra - except for the core 5.1 dts stream) but I believe the dts sync bug at the roku firmware level still hasn't been fixed

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100471&start=45

Likely need to switch audio streams to DD/DD+/Stereo or try the "Convert DTS to AC3" option via the blue neon night roku app (if you have DD audio decoding capability) 

Thanks Nisten. It didn't work, but at least I know why. Maybe choosing direct play overrides "Convert DTS to AC3"?

Thanks Nisten. It didn't work, but at least I know why. Maybe choosing direct play overrides "Convert DTS to AC3"?

What are your audio settings set to inside the Roku interface? Do you have DD decoding capability ?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Edited by Nisten