Samsung UN40H5203 Undefined Render Type 2 Error

nick.becker65

nick.becker65

Hello all,

Ran across this error message "undefined render type 2" when trying to play some files on my samsung UN40H5203 this week.  The files were HEVC codec and they play just fine on my amazon fire tv on my other tv.  I can play normal H264 files on the samsung tv with no issues.  My server is up to date at version 3.1.2.0 and my samsung tv is up to date on the stable version at 2.1.3.  I thought the samsung tvs were capable of files that used the H265 codec.  Where should I start?  Thanks.

post-147112-0-94233500-1483204458_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick.becker65

This is cmcg's app and the H5203 model is lower down in the range. As it only looks at year and not specific model, this may be part if the problem. I can't recall if any of the orsay models supported hevc. If they don't, then yes, it should transcode and we can fix this. I think I remember having this problem some time back with my old TV.

FrostByte

This is cmcg's app and the H5203 model is lower down in the range. As it only looks at year and not specific model, this may be part if the problem. I can't recall if any of the orsay models supported hevc. If they don't, then yes, it should transcode and we can fix this. I think I remember having this problem some time back with my old TV.

Yes, the upper end 2014 models support H265 and so did my old SEK2000 EvoKit with the 2014 hub.

Both FHD and UHD 2014 upper end models do that is

Edited by FrostByte

SamES

I had a version some time ago that would fallback to transcoding if there was ever a render error while trying to directplay.  I think it would display a brief user message if this was the case.

We could implement this if we wanted to.  It would help support some of the lower end models without breaking higher end models.  We would need to decide how to host this if that were the case.  Does the current beta just become the 'only' version hosted.  No more stable and beta?  If so, do we leave the beta code as is, or do we disable the live TV, guide, etc as cmcg suggested?  It's annoying that Samsung doesn't seem to have a better way of determining whether a particular codec is supported automatically at runtime other then detecting render errors.

FrostByte

Well, as a temporary solution nick could set his Evolution Kit setting to SEK-1000 :)  I think that would fool the app into think it's a F series which basically that's what the manual looks like it supports.  That way it would transcode his files.

Another quick option is in Main.js check for model "H52" in columns 5-7 and force assign this.modelYear == "F"

Your solution would solve all other not yet identified problems though where something was allowed to Direct Stream when the TV didn't actually support it

My 2c.  Comment out the Live TV and keep the code there in case someone wants to pick the project up full time in the future.  Then just have one version.  No need for a beta and a stable if you're just making minor playback and bug tweaks.  Then just have a couple people test your patches before going public

• Like 3

SamES

These are good suggestions.  I'll look at this when I get from family holidays in a week from now. The SEK option is a good quick fix.

nick.becker65

So what should I try to force it to transcode to the samsung tv?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
x88dually

My Sam UN28H4500 has the same error, yet my 1 or 2 year older Sam UN60ES8000 doesn't.

I'd be willing to test things out.

Edited by x88dually

FrostByte

My Sam UN28H4500 has the same error, yet my 1 or 2 year older Sam UN60ES8000 doesn't.

I'd be willing to test things out.

Your ES8000 is probably transcoding the file like your H4500 should.  Until someone can go in and make the changes for what Samsung considers "entry level" 2014 sets you could always set the Evolution Kit setting to SEK1000.  This will fool the app into letting your TV use the correct transcoding parameters.

FrostByte

You don't need an Evo kit to change the setting because the code doesn't actually check to see if you have one.  All it does is make the app use a different rule set for transcoding.  Your tv is falling into the wrong code along with the 2014 Premium sets and allowing HEVC to passthrough and then the tv gives you an Error because it can't play HEVC like the Premium sets can

Edit: or you can wait :) , but the problem with that is there is no full time developer for the Orsay app currently.  So it may, or may not, be awhile.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

so on the H4500, how an where do i change settings ?

Within the app bring up the menu and go to

Settings

then up and over to TV Settings

then scroll down to Evolution Kit and change to SEK-1000

That should get you by until someone can fix the code.  I believe SamES has it checked out now, but not sure when he will have the chance to look at it.

FrostByte

Whats weird though, is through dlna the same files work, but not in emby app.

Is it being transcoded?

x88dually

frostbyte, i'm in tv settings of emby app. There is no evo kit listed,

only

max biterate

enable dolby dig playback

enable dts playback

enable aac transcode to dolby

item paging

clock offset

Thats all

FrostByte

Ahh, okay I forgot to ask what version you were using.  You will need to update to 2.2 in order to see that option.  It says it's beta, but that is only because no one moved it over before the last developer left

FrostByte

2.2 is actually more stable than the stable version :)

Edit: if you're going to load 2.2 then I would try your file first before changing the Evokit setting.  It's possible this was fixed, but I can't remember.  If it still doesn't work then changing that setting should do it until a fix is made

Edited by FrostByte