Offset transcoding - Separate Transcoding Server

Bobba86

I'm going to look into this - it's actually extremely easy to copy the temp .ts files back into a reusable permanent file.

ffmpeg.exe" -i "input.m3u8" -codec copy output.mp4

I just did this on a test transcode - and it worked perfectly (audio sync is slightly out - but video plays perfectly)

As each transcode gets a unique filename, then with a bit of logic and post processing this might be a reasonable idea ..

I'm going to move this to another thread.

• 3 months later...

I certainly love this idea.  My DS418 isn't fast enough to do all the conversions etc so I wrote a script on my DS418 to transfer those files to be converted to my pc at the end of the night.  My PC has a script that converts all the TS files to MP4 and then deletes the TS file.  Then those are uploaded back to Emby.  I wish there was a way to tag which videos are recorded from which user then I could transfer those to their folders.  Which at this point I do manually.  Some sort of move feature would be cool too.  I was trying this on My RPI too but the 4s are not that fast as I had hoped to transcode.

Edited by msloat

10 hours ago, msloat said:

I certainly love this idea.  My DS418 isn't fast enough to do all the conversions etc so I wrote a script on my DS418 to transfer those files to be converted to my pc at the end of the night.  My PC has a script that converts all the TS files to MP4 and then deletes the TS file.  Then those are uploaded back to Emby.  I wish there was a way to tag which videos are recorded from which user then I could transfer those to their folders.  Which at this point I do manually.  Some sort of move feature would be cool too.  I was trying this on My RPI too but the 4s are not that fast as I had hoped to transcode.

Hi.  Why not just use that PC as. your server?

• 6 months later...
xtrachrispyduck

I'm personally interested in this because I host Emby on a Kubernetes cluster of Raspberry Pi 4's. Each is easily capable of handling a single job, but two or more puts a lot of strain on them. I played around with https://github.com/munnerz/kube-plex when I used Plex and I may adapt that to work for Emby as a short-term solution, but it adds a lot of overhead to starting transcode jobs.