Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

updated my pi3b to 3.0.12, all files play with a lot of stuttering.

reverted back to 3.0.11, play's much smoother.

what changed?

Have you configured video settings in the app?

Thor.2

I reverted back to emby for Kodi on Libreelec and moved the Live TV over to TVHeadEnd. Ill watch out for a better version that is better suited for the RPi but at this time it is now were near stable enough to consider using full time. I didn't realize how poor it was working until I reverted back the other day.

precator

I have emby theater installed but no videos play when I start them? Anyone know what could be wrong?

GrotShot

Luke,

I also reported this on the 1st May but got no reply:

"Armhf.deb 3.0.12 installed on Pi 4 running Raspbian Buster with screen resolution of 4k60:

• Under Video settings, no hardware acceleration option for RPI / RPI copy back as there is on Windows ET. Video playback stutters badly on Auto along with every other option.
  • Under Audio settings, 5.1 speaker layout selected and AC3 & DTS pass through enabled. No audio pass through to amp when either of these audio tracks are playing."

sybold

yes I tried multiple options, even the lowest setting stutters.

charlied573

Any more thought on a more distribution-agnostic package?  Went looking at this again when the Fedora 32 update busted embycon, and I see it's still Debian specific

EDIT:  Nevermind, needed an excuse to try out Mint again anyway.  The mini system in the living room is the perfect spot for it.

Works fine as long as you're not using anything other than a Debian-based distro

Edited by charlied573

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 7:15 AM, GrotShot said:

Luke,

I also reported this on the 1st May but got no reply:

"Armhf.deb 3.0.12 installed on Pi 4 running Raspbian Buster with screen resolution of 4k60:

• Under Video settings, no hardware acceleration option for RPI / RPI copy back as there is on Windows ET. Video playback stutters badly on Auto along with every other option.
  • Under Audio settings, 5.1 speaker layout selected and AC3 & DTS pass through enabled. No audio pass through to amp when either of these audio tracks are playing."

Had you tried the previous version?

GrotShot
On 6/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, Luke said:

Had you tried the previous version?

Yes I had, with 3.0.11 I couldn't get as far with playback as with .12

HodgeN

Noticed with 3.0.12 on Ubuntu, audio seems to only output in stereo for any videos with multi-channel audio.  Surround sound channels don't work.  Pass-through settings also don't seem to have any effect.  Reverting to 3.0.11 has normal functionality. 

On 6/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, HodgeN said:

Noticed with 3.0.12 on Ubuntu, audio seems to only output in stereo for any videos with multi-channel audio.  Surround sound channels don't work.  Pass-through settings also don't seem to have any effect.  Reverting to 3.0.11 has normal functionality. 

The builds in the first post are updated to resolve this. Thanks.

HodgeN
On 6/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, Luke said:

Fantastic. Thank you!

GrotShot
On 6/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, Luke said:

Not sure what has been updated but installing the arm_hf.deb package again sees no change to the issues on the Raspberry Pi 4.

• Like 1

fogpuppy

I skimmed this thread as best I could but ... it's getting kind of long.  Luke you may have graduated to the point where you need it's own forum for this ;-)

I'm running Ubuntu 18 and using an "Air mouse" that has a few keys on it like a remote control.  Specifically a Rii mini i25.  The keys are standard Linux keys like Play/Pause, page up/down, etc.  Some of them work (volume, page up/down, menu, back) but some just don't work at all.  and (of course) they are the important ones like Play/Pause, FF, Rewind.  Its kind of a common issue with Linux apps and Media keyboards  Basically the default Ubuntu default media player (Totem) works fine with these keys as does VLC.  I think to gain access to these keys you have to comply with MPRIS DBUS sepc for Ubuntu to just route these thru to the app.  Otherwise it put up the "Nope" Circle with a slash which indicates nothing listening for these keys.

Thoughts on MPRIS support?  Or ideas for a work around?

fogpuppy

When I start emby-theater on unbuntu I get this.  Maybe this is "normal" but it doesn't look normal ...

bbair@bbair-ife-demo:~$ emby-theater
(electron) The default value of app.allowRendererProcessReuse is deprecated, it is currently "false".  It will change to be "true" in Electron 9.  For more information please check https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397
Initializing cec-client...

{
  cecExePath: 'cec-client',
  cecEmitter: EventEmitter {
    _events: [Object: null prototype] {},
    _eventsCount: 0,
    _maxListeners: undefined
  }
}
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:37551
starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000
Message from: 192.168.7.64:7359
ServerDiscovery message received
Server discovery json: {"Address":"http://192.168.7.64:8096","Id":"0c659c7dfd2d4daa8d221a16d39cb76e","Name":"bbair-ife-demo"}
cec-client exited with code 1
timer expired 1 servers received
[
  {
    Address: 'http://192.168.7.64:8096',
    Id: '0c659c7dfd2d4daa8d221a16d39cb76e',
    Name: 'bbair-ife-demo',
    EndpointAddress: '192.168.7.64'
  }
]Does this indicate some sort of problem I should be fixing .....

I've updated the build in the first post with the latest RPI image, so it now has all of the updates that the .deb version had.

wedgekc

It seems from reading posts over the past couple months, the latest version has issues with using client side hardware acceleration (verified using stats for nerds and intel_gpu_top). I have a mini pc running Ubuntu 20.04 with a N4200 Celeron cpu.  Theater without hardware acceleration is unusable as I have a lot of HEVC video.   However, if I downgrade to 3.0.11  videos play fine using hardware acceleration.  Is there any way to enable hardware acceleration in the latest x86 client version?

14 hours ago, wedgekc said:

It seems from reading posts over the past couple months, the latest version has issues with using client side hardware acceleration (verified using stats for nerds and intel_gpu_top). I have a mini pc running Ubuntu 20.04 with a N4200 Celeron cpu.  Theater without hardware acceleration is unusable as I have a lot of HEVC video.   However, if I downgrade to 3.0.11  videos play fine using hardware acceleration.  Is there any way to enable hardware acceleration in the latest x86 client version?

How have you configured video settings in the app?

wedgekc
10 hours ago, Luke said:

How have you configured video settings in the app?

The "Hardware acceleration mode" is set to auto, however I did try changing the setting to "Auto (copy back)" and "Unset (for mpv.conf)" for 3.0.12 but nothing worked. Every other option appears to be for gpus other than intel or for Windows.

All of the previous settings enable hardware acceleration in version 3.0.11 though and took advantage of the Intel gpu. I should note other programs like VLC and MPV work with hardware acceleration.

fredflix

Hey @Luke, any chance you could build an AppImage for ET?
Once you get an appimage rolling, you pretty much won't need to build for any other platform ever again since an appimage works on all linux platforms.

9 hours ago, fredflix said:

Hey @Luke, any chance you could build an AppImage for ET?
Once you get an appimage rolling, you pretty much won't need to build for any other platform ever again since an appimage works on all linux platforms.

Hi, yes we're looking into a snap package.

fredflix
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes we're looking into a snap package.

That's great! Especially that Ubuntu now ships with Snap.

Eclisse72

Hello

Sorry for the newbie question: I've burned the image for Raspberry but after boot I get a logon form, using my normal emby user and password it doesn't work. Is there any default user to enter before configuring server connection ?

Thanks

Paolo 

10 hours ago, Eclisse72 said:

Hello

Sorry for the newbie question: I've burned the image for Raspberry but after boot I get a logon form, using my normal emby user and password it doesn't work. Is there any default user to enter before configuring server connection ?

Thanks

Paolo 

Hi there, what do you mean by doesn't work?

pXius

Using the latest deb install (x64), on Pop_OS (pretty much ubuntu), I can't play any video files. Just get a spinning wheel with the error message on screen "Couldnt load Plugin".

Any ideas? 

Edited by pXius

On 7/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, pXius said:

Using the latest deb install (x64), on Pop_OS (pretty much ubuntu), I can't play any video files. Just get a spinning wheel with the error message on screen "Couldnt load Plugin".

Any ideas? 

Hi, we haven't tested Pop_OS yet but we'll try to look at that. Thanks.