More m3u and xmltv mapping confusion...

rholborok

rholborok

My current m3u doesn't have a channel ID listed when I download it. I have to go in and add this in for all the channels I am importing or I can go manually map each channel.

Does the beta version of the server map these on a different field? Thanks

dbowles1975

I've managed to get my m3u playlist to map automatically by adding a tvgid field to the m3u and matching this to the channel id field in the xmltv file. The problem now is that in the guide all of the channels are displayed with the tvgid instead of the channel name / number.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to make everything show up correctly? Thanks. 

taylorbourne

Hopefully @@Luke get's eyes on this thread.. I think we need to break down exactly what Emby is parsing as channel name, and what Emby is using to map to guide data. Personally, my m3u playlist looks like this:

#EXTINF:0 tvg-id="bbcamerica.torula.com" tvg-logo="path.to/logo.png", BBC America
http://path.to:8000/bbc-america/index.m3u8

And here is an example from my XML guide data file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">
<tv source-info-url="http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/" source-info-name="zap2it.com" generator-info-name="zap2xml" generator-info-url="zap2xml@[member="gmail"].com">
	<channel id="bbcamerica.torula.com">
		<display-name>162 BBCA</display-name>
		<display-name>162</display-name>
		<display-name>BBCA</display-name>
	</channel>
	<programme start="20161219120000 -0700" stop="20161219130000 -0700" channel="bbcamerica.torula.com">
			<title lang="en">Star Trek: The Next Generation</title>
			<sub-title lang="en">Symbiosis</sub-title>
			<desc lang="en">A planet has a cure for a plague.</desc>
			<category lang="en">Series</category>
			<episode-num system="dd_progid">EP00003986.0023</episode-num>
			<previously-shown/>
	</programme>
</tv>

This data gets mapped automatically based on the tvg-id property in the m3u playlist. This is great, however the display in Emby definitely leaves me wanting more. This is what my channel list looks like currently. 
58597eb5a5be7_ScreenShot20161220at105516

Notice the channel names have come through as the tvg-id property. I get that there is no tvg-name property to look at, but from what I have seen the tvg-id tends to be an ugly identifier to map guide data, for example "I249.26.tvguide.com". 

..And here on the channel detail screen notice again the ugly channel names, and for some reason that same ugly channel name is repeated twice at the top of the screen.
58597f8e5b6cd_ScreenShot20161220at105752

A run down:

• Is it possible to defer the channel name to what comes after the comma in the first line of the m3u if there is no tvg-name property present rather than grabbing the tvg-id? From what I've noticed, a readable, stylized channel name seems to always be in that location. 
  • Why is the tvg-id being repeated twice on the detail screen? Is this because my m3u list does not contain channel numbers? If this is the case, would it be possible to generate these automatically?
  • Is it possible for Emby to start to save channel information a little more efficiently (especially if channel numbers are generated)? This could be done by tvg-id.

Let me know if it makes more sense to break this out into a separate thread to be tracked better.

UPDATE

----

Ok so I ran a test to see what would happen if I added tvg-name to my m3u playlist, and I'm still not getting a 'pretty' channel name. Is there something I'm missing here?

Edited by taylorbourne

rholborok

How do I get the channels to map if I remove the tvgid field?

I got mine to map by using the channel-id and removing tvg-id.

The I'd had to match schedules direct.

taylorbourne

Ehh in the past I used Kodi to watch IPTV but I'm really trying to get away from using 2 different applications for entertainment. Emby has come a long way in regards to live TV in the past couple months. You just have to understand they have a small dev team, patience is key!