PAL DVD Files not scaling correctly. Emby Theater Desktop.

hardlock

hardlock

Hello Everyone.

I'm very new to Emby and still in the process of setting everything up. So far I'm impressed etc.. However I have come across a rather large fault. I'm from the UK, and many of you will know that PAL DVD have slightly better resolution than NTSC versions. Eg we don't use 480p, but 576i.

I'm currently in the process of Ripping my DVD collection and when I play it through Emby, it's not playing full screen. but in a kind of letterbox mode. Any other player displays the file correctly. Eg VLC, Media players etc...Even when I playback though my phone or tablet it is correctly scaled. Just not on the Theater Desktop Program. I have tried the windows 10 theatre App, and this scales correctly, but this has issues with passing AC3 and DTS sound, and converts everything back to stereo with a 15 second delay. So onto a no winner there either.

This is what I am seeing on a 1080p Monitor.

584d8cf04f6cc_emby.jpg

Upsetting isnt it. Sad face :(

Everything in the video settings is set to default.

My Graphics card is an AMD Radeon r9 290.
Processor is i7 930 @4.2 Ghz
12GB Ram

And all the usual storage and additions.

Using DVI to the monitor. 

Please help :)

Hi, in video settings, try setting the video renderer to EVR or EVR+ and see if either makes a difference. thanks.

hardlock

Using EVR+ scales the image up, however it's doing a very basic/raw upscale with no type of Anti-aliasing. So the image has loads of horrid pixels everywhere. It actually looks like it's been scaled down, then x4 to make it 1080p.

Look at the edge of his hand.

I don't think the JPEG compression has really helped show the issue.

584da172c517c_emby2.jpg

hardlock

My monitor has two HDMI ports. I use a DVI to HDMI cable. The digital video signal from DVI and HDMI are identical, and you can transmit audio over DVI to HDMI. My HDMI cable is duplicated to my Elgato Capture card. This is used for gameplay recording in games without a CPU overhead. Recorded on a separate laptop, then sent back to the HDD on the computer ready for editing later. It's also very good for capturing footage from Canon DSLR cameras at a higher bitrate than they can record at.

I think I have narrowed it down to the AMD Crimson drivers. I have just loaded the program on an intel and another Nvidia based system, and it is working correctly. So there is an incompatibility issues with AMD drivers.

Guest asrequested

Just as long as you aren't using 4k. It would be helpful if you resolve your issue and let us know. Others may have the same issue

• 2 weeks later...
hardlock

Ok I have done various testing and I cannot get this to work on any AMD graphics based computer in my household. Intel ones are fine. But as soon as you try to watch any content that is lower than 1080p, it scales with pixels everywhere. And MADVR doesnt work at all.

This is confirmed not to work on AMD Radeon r9 290x
And AMD APU with inbuilt AMD Radeon Cores. A10

I have also trawled through the Emby forums and google, and I found other users that had the same issue. With older version of theatre. However the solution given in the post is no longer an option.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/7586-videos-are-very-pixelated/

Basically the XML file does not have this option.

So I'm very stuck.

hardlock

Update for you. I have managed to get correct scaling and playback with Madvr, after messing with some settings.

I have to use DXVAcopy3back as the acceleration mode and then use Madvr. However after this I found that when I used full screen it would crash. After hunting around I found that some users had this issue with windows 10 anniversary too.

If you open up the Madvr Settings, and go to the rendering tree, and general settings. Enable Direct3D 11 for presentation and Vsync. It all seems to work Nicely.

However I have found it's uses a bit of GPU power and CPU. Alot more than normal, but nothing my computer cannot handle. I will test the lower spec APU later after Xmas.

Seasonal Greetings

:)