Radio shows as Music: seasons are listed as separate shows

masp

I'm trying to create a library of radio shows (eg. Hitchhiker's Guide, The Triffids, Doctor Who, etc.).  I'm choosing the "Music" category, but that doesn't seem to fit very well because these shows are organized like this:

Show_1 -> Season_1 -> {Episode_1, Episode_2, ...}

Show_1 -> Season_2 -> {Episode_1, Episode_2, ...}

but in the resulting library they are nested at the show level, rather than at the season level:

Show_1_Season_1 -> {Episode_1, Episode_2, ...}

Show_1_Season_2 -> {Episode_1, Episode_2, ...}

In other words, every season of a given show is listed separately as if it was a distinct show.

I've tried importing as "TV" but that ends up as an empty library, since the files are all mp3.

I guess maybe there should be a separate "Radio Show" category which inherits the same (show -> season -> episode) structure as "TV" but handles playback and metadata of audio files like "Music"?

Mike

Ah, I seem to have spoken too soon: adding as unset/mixed did the trick re. getting the structure right, but when I click through to any season of any show, I get an empty list.  (Both web client and apple tv client.)  This is all radio (mp3) shows.  So my folder structure is:

Show_1 -> Season_1 -> {Episode_1, Episode_2, ...}

but I'm seeing:

Show_1 -> Season_1 -> {}

Curiously, I have another folder containing radio shows which each consist of a single monolithic episode: I tried adding that folder (also as unset/mixed), and that worked: it translated this folder structure:

Show_1 -> Monolithic_episode

into:

Show_1 -> Monolithic_episode

as expected (ie. each show drills down to a single episode, without an intermediate "season" layer), and those episodes do show up and can be played.  So it seems to be the TV-style folder structure (seasons and episodes) which is confusing the server.

Edited by masp

Hi @@Luke I tried this again from scratch but same result: seasons nicely nested beneath shows, but no episodes.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Mike

I'm wrong: they're not mp3 they're m4a (I'm using a mac).  But so are the audio files that are correctly displayed and played when they're directly beneath the show level (ie. without an intervening season layer), so it's not the audio format per se...