Example of why I went to Plex

MSattler

lifespeed

Just want to chime in here that I have largely been happy with Emby, having seen it grow over about the past 18 months.  There have been frustrations and bugs.  I use Emby Theater and Android client, will start with the TV antenna and live TV shortly.  I do agree that Emby Theater and Live TV should be high priorities.

I hope the revenue stream continues to support the two devs, and they are able to keep up with demand.

• Like 2

MSattler

Coming to these forums and threatening to defect somewhere else if things don't go the way you want them to isn't helping anyone.  There are far more constructive ways to get your point across.  Sorry if I am so forthright with these comments but I just don't want to see these forums get all toxic like the ones over at Kodi have.  

Merry Christmas everyone!

Apparently you have not been here long.

Seems you didn't see the fight where the Emby dev's at first would not acknowledge about the data collection of clients that was happening.  And then when it was pointed out via their own logs, that they were collecting data, they refused to give us an option to not collect the data, because they deemed it not being important.  It was never even documented anywhere on the site.

The only reason we got the eventual option was because I came up with a script to circumvent the data collection, and people bitched about a lack of option.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  You sure as hell don't get anywhere in the world by silently rolling over and letting the rest of the world impose their ways upon you.  We are users, and we paid for this app.   If it was a free app, I'd agree with you, but it's not.

Emby certainly has come a long way on limited funding, but it started with many more dev's than we have left now.  When the "company" consists of two developers and no one else, it can be worrisome.  And again, Emby app updates will never be as fast as Plex, they will always be behind, because of the limited number of developers.

MSattler

Just want to chime in here that I have largely been happy with Emby, having seen it grow over about the past 18 months.  There have been frustrations and bugs.  I use Emby Theater and Android client, will start with the TV antenna and live TV shortly.  I do agree that Emby Theater and Live TV should be high priorities.

I hope the revenue stream continues to support the two devs, and they are able to keep up with demand.

There exactly is the problem.  You are better off using whichever app is currently the most updated and supported.  Right now that is the ATV/GTV app on Android.   Emby Theater support is behind.  The thing is next week, the best app could be Roku, or the Samsung Smart TV app.  It all depends on what they are currently working on.  So the best client for Emby is almost a game of hot potatoes.

Granted. ATV usually will be more in the forefront because you have primarily one developer working on it.

Merry Xmas.

• Like 1

Heckler

I'm not a coder, and I don't have a spare system I can setup as a dev rig to test new stuff... But I do have some experience in software development and game level/map design... albeit from almost a decade ago. If I am able to upgrade my gaming system next year I could retask some of the old components towards a dev rig for some testing... Might have to ask for a few odds and sods that people have laying around spare to complete it... But I don't see why I couldn't pitch in a few hours each week to test new builds... if I am pointed in the right direction on what specifically needs testing. A second server setup as a test rig and pointed at my networked media is doable.

If anyone is able to show me the ropes on a few simple things, I'd have a pop at coding something... I used to run a PHPBB forum for a car club and managed to keep that running ok and upgraded with a few mods and such... I've kinda been itching to learn how to do themes, as the subdued theme that I love using has been left unattended for so long and cheesegeezer doesn't seem to be interested in media centre clients/themes any more... Not seen a post from him in some time.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

@@Heckler you can run two instances of emby on the same pc - using the portable version - just need to change the standard http ports to something else - this is what i do on one pc and they both run fine - just dont point them at the same data so the metadata does not get confused - or you could turn it off for one of the servers

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
DHIONET

BUENAS TARDES EMBY, 

DESDE AYER LO ESTOY PROBANDO Y POR RATOS ME CAPTA LA ATENCIÓN

Y PARECIERA QUE DAJARE PLEX PREMIUN PORQUE YO PAGO E IRME A EMBY

PERO HAY ALGO QUE ME DETIENE, YO JAMAS PUDE CONFIGURAR MI REMOTO DE PLEX

ASI QUE COMO TENÍAN ELLOS RETRANSMISIÓN, PODIA RETRANSMITIR LAS PELICULAS

CON MI CUENTA CORREO ELECTRONICO ASOSIADA A PLEX, Y PODIA VER MIS SERIES Y

MIS PELICULAS NO A LA ALTA CALIDAD COMO ES DIRECTO AL SERVIDOR COMO ES RETRANSMISION

ES SOLO HD A 2 MBITS, PERO AL MENOS LO VISUALIZABA DE AFUERA DE MI RED LOCAL, PERO USTEDES

NO TIENEN RETRANSMISION Y PUES DESDE MI CELULAR FUERA DE MI RED NO PUEDO VISUALIZAR PORQUE

IMAGINO QUE TENGO QUE HACER UN TEMA DE CONFIGURACION, SI MI PUDIESEN AYUDAR YO TENGO MI SERVIDOR 

T-251A QNAP, ES UNA NAS, SI ME AYUDASES, DEJARIA PLEX Y LES PAGARIA POR UN PREMIUN EN EMBY, PORQUE ME GUSTA,

PERO SI NO PUEDO VER POR FUERA DE MI RED LOCAL, ME DESANIMA.

SI ME AYUDASEN CUENTEN CON UN SUSCRIPTOR NUEVO E INTEGRANTE A LA FAMILIA EMBY

BENDICIONES

EDDY ESPINOZA GONZALES