Example of why I went to Plex

MSattler

breezytm

My only problem with Emby is the server. It's way too heavy and a resource hog. I really wished it was written in python. I have many applications running on my qnap without any issues but Emby is always crashing or crashing them. It takes plex, running on the same box, 50 seconds sometimes to scan new items to library but takes Emby 5-7 minutes to do the same exact task. Plex, effortlessly load cover arts when browsing. Emby in the other hand is struggling. I have sonar, couchpotato, sickbeard, plex and emby among other apps running on the same box but Emby is the only reason I am now looking at getting a new server. I honestly don't believe I need a new server. 

the-dumb1

I switched from Plex a few weeks ago and I am loving Emby, especially its more expansive metadata editing capabilities. That being said, I have noticed some issues with Emby playback (i.e. some local trailers not playing on Android app at all, or Emby Theater locking up on Xbox One with YouTube trailer playback) but they are relatively minor, although they may dealbreakers for other users.

This.  Metadata editing.  100% of my content cannot be scraped from an online database.  Actors and Studios in particular.  Plex is worthless to me because I can't specify this information.  But Emby provides this capability.

Emby has a lot of issues, but not enough to make me want to go back to Plex.  Ever.

• Like 1

maegibbons

They each have their strengths.

For me the driving force to move to emby from plex was LiveTV full stop.  If plex had live TV and able to record IPTV too then I would probably still favour plex.

But they dont.

And the more I use emby the more I like it.  LiveTV and recording is pretty killer for me.

If you dont need LiveTV then plex currently is probably still the better choice IMHO.

However, by the time plex has live, emby will be even more advanced in all areas.

And I do like the fact that the devs are pretty responsive in the forums.  If they keep, listening, reacting and developing WITH their users emby will improve rapidly.

So for now its emby for me!

Krs

Mark

Jdiesel

And I do like the fact that the devs are pretty responsive in the forums.  If they keep, listening, reacting and developing WITH their users emby will improve rapidly.

IMO this is the biggest reason to use Emby over Plex. Good luck getting any support on the Plex forums let alone a developer to take the time to fix a small bug or add a small feature. If you run the Emby beta software and provide logs and detailed feedback you can often wake up the next morning with a fresh build with your requests incorporated to try out. Not saying this is always the case but it is leaps and bounds better than Plex.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 3

MSattler

IMO this is the biggest reason to use Emby over Plex. Good luck getting any support on the Plex forums let alone a developer to take the time to fix a small bug or add a small feature. If you run the Emby beta software and provide logs and detailed feedback you can often wake up the next morning with a fresh build with your requests incorporated to try out. Not saying this is always the case but it is leaps and bounds better than Plex.

When is the last time a developer has helped anyone on here?  Let's be honest, most of the support given here is from the users, not the dev;s.

When is the last time a developer has helped anyone on here?  Let's be honest, most of the support given here is from the users, not the dev;s.

Good day,

Well that not totally true in away, sure this is open community and community members help each others, but the real help come from the head dev's like Luke and Ebr and others, in away of providing builds fix, as example here the dev builds that sometimes update 2 to 5 times a day in some times.

Also the main/dead dev's always around the community to answer this or that.

Credits as well goes to the very active members, well done to them all as well.

My best

• Like 4

MSattler

Good day,

Well that not totally true in away, sure this is open community and community members help each others, but the real help come from the head dev's like Luke and Ebr and others, in away of providing builds fix, as example here the dev builds that sometimes update 2 to 5 times a day in some times.

Also the main/dead dev's always around the community to answer this or that.

Credits as well goes to the very active members, well done to them all as well.

My best

ROTFL.  Keep on dreaming.   Since a group of very active members left the Emby chat, have you seen how many people are still active in that chat?   0.

Sure, developers provide fixes to solutions, that is their purpose.

Dev builds 2-5 times a day?   Maybe multiple builds a day in general.  And let me ask you, when heavily active members stop testing Dev Builds, what good are they?

Hell, we have Beta builds that are released that didn't even function.

What the users want, and what the developers want to do are totally different.

What we have now is two developers who have effectively caused every non-paid developer to walk away.  If you don't believe me, go look at third party plugins and third party clients.

Now that the non-paid developers have walked walked away, we have two developers who are more interested in developing what they want to do, when they want to do it, than they are in listening to their customers and moving platform along with what the users want.

And of course you will counter that Plex is no different.  With plex I can at least be assured that there are more than 2 developers in play, and the desire of one or two developers will not drive things.

Edited by MSattler

MSattler

but the real help come from the head dev's like Luke and Ebr and others

I just re-read this.   The Main Developers.   I suppose you can call them that since there are no Other developers.    The others have all left.   Hence one of the biggest complaints people have.  There are 2 developers trying to keep up with the server, and every other app out there.

PenkethBoy

Curious - You appear convinced that there are only Luke and Ebr as the main developers - is this a known fact or supposition?

MSattler

Curious - You appear convinced that there are only Luke and Ebr as the main developers - is this a known fact or supposition?

Well I suppose you could look at github, and check the chode check in's.   

They are the two paid developers, so unless they brought someone else on...... why would anyone else want to develop for them.

MSattler

Well I suppose you could look at github, and check the chode check in's.   

They are the two paid developers, so unless they brought someone else on...... why would anyone else want to develop for them.

Contributors to the Roku app:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/graphs/contributors

Contributors to Emby Server:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/graphs/contributors

Koleckai Silvestri

For the server, you can see active contributors here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/graphs/contributors

In the past, most of the clients were created by third-party developers. Roku, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, etc... Today, there are only two clients developed by third-parties. One for Roku and one for Windows UWP.

CBers

Yes, there's only Luke and Eric as the main Emby developers.

Saying that, there are a few other people working on the Emby for Kodi addon, plus a few others developing plugins.

There's also 7illusions that has written the EMBER UWP app.

And Speechles has his Roku app.

MSattler

Yes, there's only Luke and Eric as the main Emby developers.

Saying that, there are a few other people working on the Emby for Kodi addon, plus a few others developing plugins.

There's also 7illusions that has written the EMBER UWP app.

Exactly.  And 7illusions app works splendidly.  Sadly he has to charge for it, so users who go that route pay for Emby, and then pay for his client.  There is apparently no room for third party developers to be paid for out of the money that Emby makes.  

So being that we have two developers who control the platform, who cannot keep up with the development requirements, can we really call it an open media server? =)

PenkethBoy

Thanks guys - have had my suspicions in the past that it was only Luke and Eric with help from a few active plugin devs

Was hoping there were a few others in the background - with Luke and Eric fronting up the public face

explains a few things 

MSattler

Thanks guys - have had my suspicions in the past that it was only Luke and Eric with help from a few active plugin devs

Was hoping there were a few others in the background - with Luke and Eric fronting up the public face

explains a few things 

Look, I'm not trying to throw Luke and Eric under a bus, although it may appear so.  I love Emby and always have, but there are certainly short comings.  They have both gone full time Emby developers which is great.  The problem is there is way to much work for 2 developers in comparison to the things the community wants.  They don't allow any way for the community to vote what should be worked on next.  So they try to make that decision, and sometimes they get wild hairs up their ass on something that the community hasn't even asked for.

Neither of those issues would be a big deal if there were third party developers, or more Emby developers.   But no developer in their right mind is going to develop for free, not on a platform where other developers are making money.  And the third party developers will struggle because a majority of the community is not going to be willing to pay for another client.  

At the same time the third party developer is competing against the Emby Support client.  It makes you wonder why there is such a need to have a client on every platform, when you don't have the development cycles for it.  If someone else creates a client for a platform you are not on, let it be.  Spend your time on fixing the other platforms.   Or......  come up with a monetary system that makes sense where some third party app developers can develop and app and get paid for it through Emby, versus charging users for another app.

It's just frustrating.

Edited by MSattler
  • Like 1

Good day,

Since it open mind thought that we talk about, allow me please to explain some issue from your last reply:

1 - Chat: I talk about active members in the community (click on main forum page down at "Members Online Today", that what I meant about "activity", whom most of them/us helping each others, posting issue, explaining issue ... etc.

For chat issue, we provide a service for whom like to use it, we paying for that as long this community stand, some of our members they start it some chat  services you will find more info at the Clubs sub-forum. Chat is chat, and has nothing to do with Emby support or activity matters for Emby projects.

2 - Dev's team, whatever head dev's, another dev's, not all of them you know about, some dev's mainly talking some part of helping code as part time, many only talking direct with Luke and Ebr, or others dev's as well. In another word, they are more than what you thought.

The way you active here, as will your posts, we know you care about the Emby projects in general, we as well like these threads, always good idea and some fact will light to each others.

Thanks and well done.

My best

• Like 1

MSattler

Good day,

Since it open mind thought that we talk about, allow me please to explain some issue from your last reply:

1 - Chat: I talk about active members in the community (click on main forum page down at "Members Online Today", that what I meant about "activity", whom most of them/us helping each others, posting issue, explaining issue ... etc.

For chat issue, we provide a service for whom like to use it, we paying for that as long this community stand, some of our members they start it some chat  services you will find more info at the Clubs sub-forum. Chat is chat, and has nothing to do with Emby support or activity matters for Emby projects.

2 - Dev's team, whatever head dev's, another dev's, not all of them you know about, some dev's mainly talking some part of helping code as part time, many only talking direct with Luke and Ebr, or others dev's as well. In another word, they are more than what you thought.

The way you active here, as will your posts, we know you care about the Emby projects in general, we as well like these threads, always good idea and some fact will light to each others.

Thanks and well done.

My best

1)  Not sure where you've been, but up until about 6 months ago there would be 5-8 individuals in chat every day.  Regular members, power users, who would be there when random people would drop in and ask questions.  We would help those people work through issues.  Mainly because the forums were not helping them.  This support has ended and we have gone elsewhere.

2)  I don't know all the dev's?  Ok that's fine.  How about statistics?  

Let's see:  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/graphs/contributors

Luke contributed 9216 commits.

The next closest person has 121 commits, and his last commit was April 2014.

Look at the top 100 committers there.  Do you see a trend?  They about all show no activity, and if there is it's for a short period of time, and then they realize resistance is futile.  They cannot make any changes.

And this isn't my opinion, this is fact.  You cannot argue numbers.

BTW out of those 100 committers only 2 have put in commit's this year from what I can tell.  Most of the others where from over a year ago.

Edited by MSattler

MSattler

1)  Not sure where you've been, but up until about 6 months ago there would be 5-8 individuals in chat every day.  Regular members, power users, who would be there when random people would drop in and ask questions.  We would help those people work through issues.  Mainly because the forums were not helping them.  This support has ended and we have gone elsewhere.

2)  I don't know all the dev's?  Ok that's fine.  How about statistics?  

Let's see:  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/graphs/contributors

Luke contributed 9216 commits.

The next closest person has 121 commits, and his last commit was April 2014.

Look at the top 100 committers there.  Do you see a trend?  They about all show no activity, and if there is it's for a short period of time, and then they realize resistance is futile.  They cannot make any changes.

And this isn't my opinion, this is fact.  You cannot argue numbers.

BTW out of those 100 committers only 2 have put in commit's this year from what I can tell.  Most of the others where from over a year ago.

And the third highest has 82 commits vs 9216.  And he has not committed since September.

So maybe I don't know all the dev's, but the evidence in commits disputes your point.

Good day,

Well, I am talking regarding members activity on the community forum, you talk about chat, I talk about dev's personals been with contact with head dev's team, you till me about status issue.

Did great or well working projects need to have 1000 dev's personals behind it or it do not count, I know your point regarding whom left or stay because this or that, but we should be grateful to Luke and Ebr and others dev's team here by keeping this going.

Luke at the moment focus on like tv recording, new devices support and a like because that what most users want. What me and you need still working (personal view), sure thing break here or there, but normally it get fixed in short time.

I think I explain my thought the best I can, and indeed you will stand about your.

We are all looking for the best software usage that fit our need for our media, mine is Emby, best to all.

My best

Jdiesel

Does the number of developers really matter? Ultimately if you are happy with the product is all that matters and there are free options too so you aren't even obligated to pay a cent. Same goes for the development of the software, everyone is free to provide PR as they see fit and if they feel their time should be compensated they are welcome to create their own third party app and charge for it. I don't see the issue as there are lots of options available.

As for the chat. I never really used it much but I recall correctly when you joined it didn't show any of the historic messages. If it showed, say the last 24 hours of messages, I would be more inclined to pop in once in a while. Just my two cents.

Good day,

Yes, you are right.

Regarding chat, as it was explain, it just a services from IPS we thought it be good for whom wanted as it been requested when we start it this community.

Community member start it irc chat, here info:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19916-emby-irc-channel/

My best

MSattler

Does the number of developers really matter? Ultimately if you are happy with the product is all that matters and there are free options too so you aren't even obligated to pay a cent. Same goes for the development of the software, everyone is free to provide PR as they see fit and if they feel their time should be compensated they are welcome to create their own third party app and charge for it. I don't see the issue as there are lots of options available.

As for the chat. I never really used it much but I recall correctly when you joined it didn't show any of the historic messages. If it showed, say the last 24 hours of messages, I would be more inclined to pop in once in a while. Just my two cents.

The number of developers does matter, as it has a direct effect upon the possibility of updating clients on some sort of regular schedule.  Some of the clients end up becoming out dated, because there are not enough developers on hand.

Free options?   I suppose if you want to browse via the web sure or use Kodi with the Plugin.  That is it for free aps. 

The options are not the number of clients, it's the developer's ability to update all apps on a regular basis.  And that is hard to do with 2 developers.  It means some of the clients will always be lagging, not heavily used, and it will mean a drop of users.  Less users is less revenue, and if the revenue get's low enough, then the two paid developers won't be able to develop it full time.

As for the chat, it's been dead for months.  There was a core group of us who used to provide support there, but after frustration levels grew, people have left.

MSattler

Good day,

Well, I am talking regarding members activity on the community forum, you talk about chat, I talk about dev's personals been with contact with head dev's team, you till me about status issue.

Did great or well working projects need to have 1000 dev's personals behind it or it do not count, I know your point regarding whom left or stay because this or that, but we should be grateful to Luke and Ebr and others dev's team here by keeping this going.

Luke at the moment focus on like tv recording, new devices support and a like because that what most users want. What me and you need still working (personal view), sure thing break here or there, but normally it get fixed in short time.

I think I explain my thought the best I can, and indeed you will stand about your.

We are all looking for the best software usage that fit our need for our media, mine is Emby, best to all.

My best

You are the one who wrote there were lot's of developers and that Luke and Eric were just the main ones.   And I am telling you there are TWO developers.   Have you ever developed anything?

Why would developers send their code directly to Luke and Eric?  That completely goes against the purpose of having github there in there first place.  It's there so other developers can check in code.

My feeling is that you are writing your opinion of what you think may be happening.   

I've given you the proof of the committs.

mellomade

Look, I'm not trying to throw Luke and Eric under a bus, although it may appear so.  I love Emby and always have, but there are certainly short comings.  They have both gone full time Emby developers which is great.  The problem is there is way to much work for 2 developers in comparison to the things the community wants.  They don't allow any way for the community to vote what should be worked on next.  So they try to make that decision, and sometimes they get wild hairs up their ass on something that the community hasn't even asked for.

Just because software developers code an 'open-source' application doesn't mean that the project automatically becomes a f**king democracy.  I'm sure the devs are focused on how they can compete with other services like Plex as a matter of priority right now, and competing in that market means having apps for all kinds of devices that just work for the average user.  The majority of apps they have so far work great for that set.  Power users who want to have HD audio bit-streamed and video rendered with madVR are never happy anyway so WTH - plus they make up a small and noisy group that never cease spewing entitled opinions about what priorities should be.

Neither of those issues would be a big deal if there were third party developers, or more Emby developers.   But no developer in their right mind is going to develop for free, not on a platform where other developers are making money.  And the third party developers will struggle because a majority of the community is not going to be willing to pay for another client.

I don't know about this one.  Unpaid third party devs contribute mainly out of a desire to build something they themselves have a need/desire to use.  Money can be a great motivator - but the better products have devs that are personally engaged and interested in making a great product regardless of whether they are paid or not.

Hiring more devs to work on these things doesn't necessarily make something better faster.  Just look at Plex.  In 2010 alone they had over 30 paid devs and third party investors putting over $1.4 million into their coffers.  Emby clearly doesn't have those resources and I would say that the Emby group is doing a much better job overall.

Coming to these forums and threatening to defect somewhere else if things don't go the way you want them to isn't helping anyone.  There are far more constructive ways to get your point across.  Sorry if I am so forthright with these comments but I just don't want to see these forums get all toxic like the ones over at Kodi have.  

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 4