Emby Theater Transcoding DCA DTS Codec To Stereo

Scott310

Scott310

Hey Guys,

I am not sure if this just started happening or maybe I didn't notice it before, but my server seems to be transcoding the audio to stereo on any file that uses the DCA codec when played through emby theater on Xbox.  When I check the server dashboard it says that it is direct playing but it shows the little line underneath that usually indicates transcoding.  If I load the file into handbrake and recode it to AC3 the surround doesn't transcode. I would Hate to have to go through my entire collection recoding anything that has the DCA codec.

Thanks in advance for your help guys...

Scott310

Both XB1 apps have always transcoded DCA to AC3 for me.  I don't believe DCA is supported internally on mkv files yet, but hopefully I'm wrong and someone has a fix :)

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/apps/mkv-support

I thought so too. I thought I must be going crazy because a large portion of my collection is coded in DCA.  I almost wanted to throw up at the thought of having to recode the majority of my collection.  But I have been pulling up random files coded in DCA and they all play in stereo...

FrostByte

I just noticed it was converting to stereo also after looking at the logs.  You would think it could at least convert them to AC3 5.1 if the input is 5.1  That doesn't sound right

Edit: added log.  Hopefully someone else knows how to make it at least convert to AC3 5.1 if DCA isn't supported

http://pastebin.com/NWCnLHNe

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

See the link in post #2. We will always take advantage of whatever the platform supports.

Yeah, but why is it converting to AC3 stereo 2.0 and not AC3 5.1 (preferably at 640kbps) if the input is 6 channels? 

Scott310

When I used Plex On Xbox one, If I remember correctly, it transcoded all 5.1 tracks that the xbox couldn't handle into AC3 5.1

FrostByte

Well, I did provide a log.  Do you want to provide everything else Scott310? :)  If not, I can

Edited by FrostByte

Scott310

I believe we have given Luke everything he is asking for.  Does he want us to make a new post?  I thought my original post was pretty clear.  The only thing missing was the logs which we have attached.

• 2 weeks later...
FrostByte

DTS causes the app to crash in the new version just loaded today from the Store.  I posted a log in your other thread

FrostByte

After today's update transcoding DTS to AC3 seems to be working for me the way it was several releases ago and DTS is now transcoding/remuxing to AC3 5.1 through HDMI cable when Xbox is setup to bitstream AC3

http://pastebin.com/w3zvpBYr

Fixes:

App transcodes DTS 5.1 to AC3 stereo

Playing DTS causes a black screen of death

Transcoded DTS stops playback 10 - 15 seconds into movie

Thanks

Edited by FrostByte