Huge CPU spike on the server

thejacer87

thejacer87

We have instructions for beta on the website:

https://emby.media/download.html

The stable release is right around the corner so you can also just wait for that. Thanks.

does around the corner mean now? lol. cuz i believe my server just updated to 3.1.0.0... and now i have some other problems :) . also the original file that started this thread still cant be watched on my phone.

so lately some of my kids' shows on the ipad ios app are having trouble with playback. and if/when it can load the show, the playback timer says "live broadcast" instead of the time and allowing me to scroll

Archive.zip

If you look at the media info on the detail screen, does it display a known runtime? if not, then that's why it might show as a live broadcast. Is this brand new content added to the server?

thejacer87

If you look at the media info on the detail screen, does it display a known runtime? if not, then that's why it might show as a live broadcast. Is this brand new content added to the server?

im not sure exactly where to look for the know runtime, but definitely NOT new media. its so weird, it's just a cartoon, not a hug file/bitrate. i tried watching the same episodes on my android phone and didnt work either. tried some other movies on both my android phone and ipad. ipad couldnt play some and the phone would. so possibly my phone can play more files so it doesnt need transcoding. 

i know my cpu is a piece of shit, but rather annoying that for whatever reason it wont play some select files, that were definitely playable before

Hi @@thejacer87, on the detail screen you can see if it has a known runtime or not.

Additionally you can scroll to the bottom and see if it has media info listed or not. If it does not, then try refreshing it from the detail screen using the dot menu -> refresh.

585aee7f51545_Untitled.png

thejacer87

k ya the runtime is missing. is there a way to refresh meta data for all media, seems to be an issue with a lot of files

k ya the runtime is missing. is there a way to refresh meta data for all media, seems to be an issue with a lot of files

Yes, but first can you verify that a single refresh resolves the issue? thanks !

Can you please provide the emby server log from the time of the refresh? probably an issue with your ffmpeg/ffprobe build. thanks.

thejacer87

k that probably makes sense since ive been messing with ffmpeg (just what ive stated in this thread). and that is the right timeline when i noticed this issue.

still have the original issue that this thread was created for: 'Huge CPU spike on the server'

but maybe this all comes down to getting the right ffmpeg in place. although you mentioned earlier that i do have the right version, so i dunno

what is the best way to manage ffmpeg on debian/OMV

Log.txt

Edited by thejacer87

thejacer87

Can you please provide the emby server log from the time of the refresh? probably an issue with your ffmpeg/ffprobe build. thanks.

been a while since you responded, perhaps you didnt get notified bcuz i didnt quote you?

also i tried a fresh ffmpeg/ffprobe from https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/. but it's 3.2 which i think u said was untested. i can't find the 3.1 build anywhere

also, i do have a couple nvidia gpus if that could help alleviate some of the stress on the system

Edited by thejacer87

hi @@thejacer87, based on your log in post #34, that appears to be an issue in the server itself. So that's a little more easily correctable but i'm wondering if you can hop on the beta channel so that we can work together on this.

What distro are you using?

thejacer87

hi @@thejacer87, based on your log in post #34, that appears to be an issue in the server itself. So that's a little more easily correctable but i'm wondering if you can hop on the beta channel so that we can work together on this.

What distro are you using?

OMV (debian), but i am using the emby server from apt and NOT the OMV plugin, as I was having quite a few issues with that.

Just lemme know how/where to get the beta going!! :)

Edited by thejacer87

thejacer87

In that case just follow the instructions on the website to install the beta package

https://emby.media/download.html

It should install over the top of your existing install.

k got it thx. 

here's what i have now: 

the ffmpeg and ffprobe from here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Resources/blob/master/ffmpeg/linux/ffmpeg-git-20160215-64bit-static.7z

and have the beta installed: 

58635791e4ba1_Screenshotfrom201612272210

although i did add the key in the instructions here (OMV uses debian 7) : https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Aemby&package=emby-server-beta

tried and apt-get update and upgrade but maybe the 3.1.263 version isnt in the ppa yet...?

regardless i tried to update the metadata on a file and still bupkiss

Log.txt

thejacer87

i don't see an ffprobe failure in this log. is there a problem?

well fuck me sideways @@Luke, looks like you did it! I refreshed the page immediately and nothing changed. But just went back to that file and the info is there!! im gunna refresh the meta data for all my stuff.

i belive this is the best place for that?

58635d27ed390_Screenshotfrom201612272235

Thanks. it probably just didn't complete before you refreshed the page. Yes you can do it from there. Unfortunately there is currently no way to monitor the progress at this time, so just give it a couple hours.

thejacer87

Thanks. it probably just didn't complete before you refreshed the page. Yes you can do it from there. Unfortunately there is currently no way to monitor the progress at this time, so just give it a couple hours.

lol actually i still had the terminal open from the 

service emby-server start

command. and i can see all the output. eg:  

Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'file:/media/34d8b35f-9587-4b0d-8d5a-a57d92c8ea49/WAC-47/TV/Silicon Valley/Season_02/Silicon_Valley_S02E04_The_Lady.mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
    creation_time   : 2016-04-12 04:49:48
  Duration: 00:28:31.47, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 7302 kb/s
    Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 138.930000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:00:00.000
    Chapter #0:1: start 138.930000, end 547.088000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:02:18.930
    Chapter #0:2: start 547.088000, end 1229.395000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:09:07.088
    Chapter #0:3: start 1229.395000, end 1640.806000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:20:29.395
    Chapter #0:4: start 1640.806000, end 1711.467000
    Metadata:
      title           : 00:27:20.806
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      BPS             : 5790841
      BPS-eng         : 5790841
      DURATION        : 00:28:31.421000000
      DURATION-eng    : 00:28:31.421000000
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 41033
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 41033
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 1238821018
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 1238821018
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP: mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC: 2016-04-12 04:49:48
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2016-04-12 04:49:48
      _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
      _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NU  

thejacer87

So i guess i will check on the original issue that started this thread tomorrow, CPU spike on certain movies, and report back

thejacer87

Thanks for the update.

K @@Luke you beautiful man, i can now watch the movie on my phone that started this thread. the CPU still is pretty high but i think that makes sense since its a big file and its gotta transcode it for the android app. 

is there a guide of some sorts to getting the gpu acceleration going? like i mentioned b4, i have a couple gpus lying around that i could use to help out. i just would need to know what to look for and if i would need some special drivers? or if OMV would even have them?

yes we have experimental gpu options under the Transcoding menu in the server dashboard. but they are just experimental and may require you to bring your own ffmpeg build that supports the features.