Huge CPU spike on the server

thejacer87

thejacer87

Hey all, 

Just a little weirdness I've been experiencing lately. Perhaps it's always been like this, and I just noticed it becuase I was having playback issues (ie no playback) with a new movie in my library. It's a big file, full Blu-Ray 13+GB. When I try to watch it on my Android (no playback), or through the web interface (unwatchably laggy). But, when I watch it on my main TV through my RaspberryPi with openelec(Kodi) using the Emby for Kodi addon, its flawless. I also noticed that the CPU spikes to 85-100% usage on the first 2, whereas the CPU during the kodi playback is less than 35% CPU.

Granted the server is just extra parts I Franeksteined, the CPU is an AMD Athlon 7550. I suspect that the pi is picking up the transcoding slack or perhaps not transcoding at all? I'm not super knowledgeable about that stuff. I dunno if I should maybe turn transcoding off? I guess that would mean I couldn't watch stuff on the Android app.

Any help would be appreciated, I can provide any details logs that you need, just lemme know how to get them to you. :)

Thanks.

edit: just an FYI, the computer I was watching with the web app, was NOT the same computer acting as the emby server.

Edited by thejacer87

Thanks ! Can you also provide the ffmpeg logs from these playback sessions? they would in the same folder. Thanks.

In the transcode log it has to burn in subtitles and that's just as far as your machine can go. the reason they're burning in is because web browsers do not support that subtitle format. To improve the performance you can either turn off the subtitles, or consider acquiring text-based subtitles that won't require burn in.

In the remux log there's no video transcoding, it's stream copying the original video as-is and simply converting the audio. Is there a problem there? that one looks fine to me. The reason that can't direct play is due to the audio format.

thejacer87

In the transcode log it has to burn in subtitles and that's just as far as your machine can go. the reason they're burning in is because web browsers do not support that subtitle format. To improve the performance you can either turn off the subtitles, or consider acquiring text-based subtitles that won't require burn in.

In the remux log there's no video transcoding, it's stream copying the original video as-is and simply converting the audio. Is there a problem there? that one looks fine to me. The reason that can't direct play is due to the audio format.

Turning off subtitles fixed the web player playback, but the android app still just keeps spinning the loading icon...

thejacer87

Hi @@thejacer87, can you provide the transcoding log from that android attempt? Thanks  !

those logs had me trying to watch on the web and my phone, but ill do it again, one sec

thejacer87

Ok, is there an issue? that log is looking pretty good to me.

ya the android app doesn't play the movie... just sits there loading forever... like i said in the original post, its the biggest file i have tried to play thus far, so maybe its just to much for the CPU to serve up to my phone for some reason??

I get the spinning circle with the android (tv) app when I use the static ffmpeg build 3.2 & 3.2.1 from https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ even though transcoding seems fine - same as you. Not sure which version your build is equivalent to but google tells me it is from mid-october so this might be the same problem.

The last version that worked for me and which I currently use is 3.1.5 64bit

Edited by xenu

I get the spinning circle with the android (tv) app when I use the static ffmpeg build 3.2 & 3.2.1 from https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ even though transcoding seems fine - same as you. Not sure which version your build is equivalent to but google tells me it is from mid-october so this might be the same problem.

The last version that worked for me and which I currently use is 3.1.5 64bit

Hi, yes, please use ffmpeg 3.1 at the highest. We have not yet tested 3.2 so that would be at your own risk. Thanks.

thejacer87
 ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version N-81972-g8063978-static http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

is this 3.1 or 3.2??

thejacer87

so i removed the ffmpeg that i had, and replaced it with whatever debian ships with:

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
$ ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version 0.8.18-6:0.8.18-0+deb7u1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
  built on Oct  4 2016 17:59:06 with gcc 4.7.2
The ffmpeg program is only provided for script compatibility and will be removed
in a future release. It has been deprecated in the Libav project to allow for
incompatible command line syntax improvements in its replacement called avconv
(see Changelog for details). Please use avconv instead.
ffmpeg 0.8.18-6:0.8.18-0+deb7u1
libavutil    51. 22. 3 / 51. 22. 3
libavcodec   53. 35. 0 / 53. 35. 0
libavformat  53. 21. 1 / 53. 21. 1
libavdevice  53.  2. 0 / 53.  2. 0
libavfilter   2. 15. 0 /  2. 15. 0
libswscale    2.  1. 0 /  2.  1. 0
libpostproc  52.  0. 0 / 52.  0. 0

web app play back doesnt work and for the android app i get "Playback error - There was an error processing the request. Please try again later."

progress? i dunno lol

here is the server log, i had no transcode logs, only remux... dont think that helps at all

Logs.zip

ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version N-81972-g8063978-static http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

is this 3.1 or 3.2??

You're fine. It's not 3.2.

so i removed the ffmpeg that i had, and replaced it with whatever debian ships with:

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
$ ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version 0.8.18-6:0.8.18-0+deb7u1, Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the Libav developers
  built on Oct  4 2016 17:59:06 with gcc 4.7.2
The ffmpeg program is only provided for script compatibility and will be removed
in a future release. It has been deprecated in the Libav project to allow for
incompatible command line syntax improvements in its replacement called avconv
(see Changelog for details). Please use avconv instead.
ffmpeg 0.8.18-6:0.8.18-0+deb7u1
libavutil    51. 22. 3 / 51. 22. 3
libavcodec   53. 35. 0 / 53. 35. 0
libavformat  53. 21. 1 / 53. 21. 1
libavdevice  53.  2. 0 / 53.  2. 0
libavfilter   2. 15. 0 /  2. 15. 0
libswscale    2.  1. 0 /  2.  1. 0
libpostproc  52.  0. 0 / 52.  0. 0

web app play back doesnt work and for the android app i get "Playback error - There was an error processing the request. Please try again later."

progress? i dunno lol

here is the server log, i had no transcode logs, only remux... dont think that helps at all

Because that's libav, which is not ffmpeg.

thejacer87

Because that's libav, which is not ffmpeg.

well that makes sense lol. can someone kindly point me to the source code to 3.1, or tell me how do download on debian. i cant figure out where to find it on http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ or http://ffmpeg.org/

edit: also, what does ffmpeg acutally do. cuz im currently watching other videos on my phone and kodi right now, with libav(apparently). 

Edited by thejacer87

You were fine with the one you originally had. I see you were still having an issue which I will look at soon and get a response to you about that.

thejacer87

You were fine with the one you originally had. I see you were still having an issue which I will look at soon and get a response to you about that.

any updates? :)

thejacer87

@@thejacer87, would you like to try the beta server? That would provide a helpful data point. thanks !

is there any easy way to upgrade through the GUI? or a debian guide?