Using Emby / Emby Apps Offline

Josh Finlay

Josh Finlay

Hi,

We are working on a project for a client at the moment where they want to have a "media server on wheels" for want of a better expression.

The scenario:

Client is going on holidays for a month and has kids.

The kids all have iPads

So we've setup a laptop with a 4TB disk in it, full of all their media. It is installed under the seat and is powered off the car. It runs Debian Linux and we've configured it to broadcast a wireless hotspot that the iPads connect to.

They then want to be able to view their media on their iPads, however this requires an emby subscription, which is no big deal.. money isn't really a factor here.

However there will be NO internet connection whatsoever. 

So if I am correct, internet access is required to validate the emby key, am I right? If this is the case, how will the devices ever be able to stream if they dont have internet access in order to validate their emby subscription? Or rather, how will the server validate the emby subscription?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Josh Finlay

Josh Finlay

For those interested, managed to get around this issue entirely.

Built the system as described above and used the web player on the iPads to play the content. Simply added a shortcut to the Emby webUI on the iPad home screen. 

Works perfectly and the client is extremely impressed.

Yet another +1 to Emby. It also looks like said client will be getting us to upgrade their home Plex server to Emby upon returning from vacation.. I'll insist on a lifetime premier license so they can take advantage of the apps :)

Edited by Josh Finlay

Thanks! And as far as the apps go we are looking at increasing the validation grace period to make this type of situation easier. They would still need occasional internet access to validate but it would be more like once per month rather than every few days.