How to have Extras with multiple versions of movie?

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Building from previous discussion on multiple versions of the same movie, I've got a new question:

How do I set up Extras when there are multiple versions of the same movie?

I think I've got a pattern of content in the Extras folder being categorized and filed as a Movie by the Server specifically when there are multiple versions of the movie in the parent folder.

For example:

\Pacific Rim (2013)

...Pacific Rim (2013).bluray.iso

...Pacific Rim (2013).bluray.3D.iso

...\Extras

......Pacific Rim Bonus Features.bluray.iso

The Pacific Rim movies are found as separate movies (and I create custom cover art for the 3D version, as explained, to separate them visually in Emby). But the ISO in the Extras folder is being categorized as a Movie as well (and given some garbage metadata). I see this with another movie where I have two versions and the Extras folder has an MKV file that is categorized as a movie.

Per the Wiki, the Extras content is added after the movies are added.

Suggestions?

(I haven't tried to separate the different movies into their own folders yet.)

ShoutingMan

I tried folders with brackets as suggested in the other thread and it worked. This  is not the approach I want to take -- it's more elegant to have all versions of the same movie in the same folder. But this is workable and manageable. If there are other options, please let me know. Thanks.

\Pacific Rim (2013)

...Pacific Rim (2013).bluray.iso

...\Extras

......Pacific Rim Bonus Features.bluray.iso

\Pacific Rim (2013) [3D]

...Pacific Rim (2013).bluray.3D.iso

legallink

Is there a reason you don't put the other versions in the extras folder! That's what I do so that. All movie versions are on one screen.

ShoutingMan

In the first example, if you want them treated as a single movie you need to follow the naming guidelines. Specifically, see the examples with the dashes:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

This was discussed and explained in one of my other threads, earlier. The naming convention is for alternate quality encodings of the same content, that Emby will auto-select the right one to play based on network conditions.

It is not for alternate versions of the same title. It's not for Director's Cut, Anniversay Edition, Theatrical Release, etc of the same film (since it doesn't distinguish between them visually or provide any user interface to choose which one to play).

This question is how to manage extras with multiple versions of the same film.

ShoutingMan

Is there a reason you don't put the other versions in the extras folder! That's what I do so that. All movie versions are on one screen.

I see how that would work. But that means I'd have to scroll and check for extras to see if there is an 3D or Director's Cut. It's easier if the movies are categorized in the library clearly. And, semantically, a "Theatrical Cut" is not an "Extra". It's a movie equal to the "Extended Edition".

What I want is for Emby to hold all versions in the same folder, with extras. And then have a single library entry screen that allows the user to select from the versions, in a Plex-like manner, which one to play.

Until then, there are these workarounds. :)

This was discussed and explained in one of my other threads, earlier. The naming convention is for alternate quality encodings of the same content, that Emby will auto-select the right one to play based on network conditions.

It is not for alternate versions of the same title. It's not for Director's Cut, Anniversay Edition, Theatrical Release, etc of the same film (since it doesn't distinguish between them visually or provide any user interface to choose which one to play).

This question is how to manage extras with multiple versions of the same film.

In that case both of the features are independent. You would have your multiple versions as well as an extras folder.

I had a similar issue when I wanted to add a movie to the specials in a TV Series. For example The Regular Show movie is special (S00E14) for the series.

To do this I used the Symbolic link feature in windows, it allows a virtual folder / file pointing at the original without having to duplicate files and taking up storage space.

It is run from the windows command line using relatively simple commands - http://windows7themes.net/en-us/windows-7-mklink-command-use-to-create-symbolic-links/

Although there are programs out there that have a GUI ie https://sourceforge.net/projects/symlink-creator/

There is the issue if remembering which are the file and which are the links but since it is needed in such low volumes it's easy to track with just a text file or similar.

• Like 1