Suggested Additions to the Main Site...

ebr

Great.  Are you familiar with WP?  You are correct, that is what it is.

If you are, I will set you up with an Author ID and you can start to create an example of the client description pages.  I don't think the main "Clients" page that is there should have more on it but, rather, each section could link to a "More Details" page for that client.

The plug-ins part is a lot more complex because there are so many and keeping it up to date will be very difficult.  So we have to think about that a bit.  It may be that it only has the plug-ins that the plug-in creators are willing to provide and maintain up-to-date info for.  Also, in this vein, a donate button would be okay, but I don't want actual plug-in registration done through the public site because we end up with people buying something without even having MB installed and then they want a refund and it gets into a big mess (been there, done that).

can we make a copy of the site so that he can work on that, and then we can review the changes there?

can we make a copy of the site so that he can work on that, and then we can review the changes there?

He would just add new pages that are not referenced anywhere first.  Then we can tie it in when we're ready.

Ok. I do think we need some design drafting. Ebr just made changes. Wayne wants to make some. I want to make some. There needs to be a vision. I don't have to make changes personally but I do want to be involved in the discussion, so if someone like Wayne were to step up and help with the implementation, it would be a tremendous elp.

Basically what I want to do is reduce the amount of text, add more headings for content separation, add more platform icons, reduce the number of top level menu options. And in the download page you should be able to see all or most of the apps from a glance without having to scroll too far down. Along with headings and images for context and separation. And i want to give the vibe that we're a community that loves and you should join us.

Koleckai Silvestri

Great.  Are you familiar with WP?  You are correct, that is what it is.

If you are, I will set you up with an Author ID and you can start to create an example of the client description pages.  I don't think the main "Clients" page that is there should have more on it but, rather, each section could link to a "More Details" page for that client.

The plug-ins part is a lot more complex because there are so many and keeping it up to date will be very difficult.  So we have to think about that a bit.  It may be that it only has the plug-ins that the plug-in creators are willing to provide and maintain up-to-date info for.  Also, in this vein, a donate button would be okay, but I don't want actual plug-in registration done through the public site because we end up with people buying something without even having MB installed and then they want a refund and it gets into a big mess (been there, done that).

Message sent to you.

Yeah, understand about purchasing plugins (and even clients). That should remain where it is.

Koleckai Silvestri

1. The main site should have a plugins page that is organized by server and clients. It should give a description of each, a link to the developer's profile and a donation button (even for premium plugins). Donations should go to the developer of the plugin so each button would link to their paypal account.

2. Clients page should include a screenshot from each client. The images stored at Github will do. For clients that cost money, it should be stated on the page as well. 

3. Let's get all those OS icons across the bottom of the home page as well. Let people know right off the bat, this isn't just a Windows thing anymore.

4. Above the tiles on the homepage, there needs to be a text blurb telling me what MediaBrowser is. What is the "Next Level"?

5. Get a mention of LiveTV somewhere.

It appears you're using Wordpress with a custom skin correct?

• Like 1

All those things are on the radar but it is just a matter of time and resources.  

Would you like to take it on...?

I would like to do some work on the website myself. Nothing major, just making it a little more graphical. I've been planning on it once the linux and OS X servers are released because the site will need to be updated anyway at that time.

I'd like to re-do the home page again to add more/better information and use a still modern but different design.  I think the "Start Screen" was cool for a while but it has grown tired and makes us look too Windows-centric.

That sounds good to me.  You and Wayne could parcel it out and work together taking direction from me and Luke.

Ok. I do think we need some design drafting. Ebr just made changes. Wayne wants to make some. I want to make some. There needs to be a vision. I don't have to make changes personally but I do want to be involved in the discussion, so if someone like Wayne were to step up and help with the implementation, it would be a tremendous elp.

Basically what I want to do is reduce the amount of text, add more headings for content separation, add more platform icons, reduce the number of top level menu options. And in the download page you should be able to see all or most of the apps from a glance without having to scroll too far down. Along with headings and images for context and separation. And i want to give the vibe that we're a community that loves and you should join us.

Just an FYI - With your push to get information out to the masses, it may make more sense to be a little text heavy with your page design for SEO purposes. If you go too heavy in the graphics department without enough relevant information on the page in a text format (that doesn't rely on the graphics to make sense in context) your search engine rankings will possibly suffer. Meta data no longer seems to cut it for SEO, so it's really about the "content" of the page and in a search engine's "eyes", content is text, not graphics.