Live TV Pauses every 5~10 seconds

pm314

I am running Emby Server on Ubuntu with HDHomerun Prime for LiveTV.  I've been using this setup for quite some time and never had a problem with any channels until around release 3.0.81 which I think introduced rewind/ffwd etc.  Since then any channel I stream to the web client (Chromium or Chrome) starts out okay then after some time it starts to pause for a few seconds roughly every 5 seconds.

I've tried bringing it down to 720p/1mb , 480p/1mb  (I used to have no problems with 1080p) and it increases the initial amount of time before the problem occurs but it still occurs.

I can tell by watching the time status bar at the bottom of the screen that it is starting to catch up and when it reaches (for example) 1:06/1:06 it will pause for a few seconds.

This only happens on the web client. I can stream to android and chromecast with no issues at all and, using the HDHomerun Config GUI I am able to stream to VLC with no issues.

I've tried playing with #CPUs, CPU throttling, moving back ~1 minute in playback etc. All have some impact on how long it takes before the problem starts but it starts eventually.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help. I've been playing around with this occasionally for weeks but just had time this morning to try to troubleshoot it more.  The server log shows some errors but I'm not sure if they are meaningful or not.

ffmpeg-transcode-bcdfec2e-2645-41e6-9f49-ae21c03c0369.txt

server-63615745425.txt

It looks like your server is just not quite able to transcode fast enough for a continuous stream.  We may need an option to bypass the trick play features for these situations.

That would be great. Its a pretty cool feature set to have, but to be honest, I dont think I will use it much.

Of course, it could be a good excuse for an upgrade... :)

Do you happen to know if all of your channels are mpeg2 or do you have some that are h264? If you don't know that's OK. You're getting roughly 32fps transcoding from a 60fps source. It seems unlikely that the transcoding method would make a big enough difference to get you to 60fps.

Its Comcast so I believe mpeg2 (I'm not home now to check). I've never had any issues with this setup before until 3.0.81 and now it's only live TV to the web client. I don't doubt that it's my computer (its old and just parts I threw together). Are there other settings I could adjust to test this out? I reduced the transcoding settings (I don't remember which one.."very fast"?) to terrible quality and it still seems to occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any fixes/enhancements coming that would help those of us with older hardware out?  I had reported that Chromecast had been working (as of World Series anyway) but now it has the same problem.

Just need to decide if I upgrade hardware, wait for fix or move to different software.

Thats great, thanks! Any idea on timing?  I remember being able to set my server to beta updates through the dashboard but cant find that setting anymore. I would be happy to test this whenever it  goes to beta.

Can I update my repositories to point to beta?