Bit Stream to External Player

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Hi, I currently need to use an external player on the Shield and i'm struggling to bitstream DD+ AC3 audio to my compatible avr. i've tried mx player and archos but i can't find settings on either app that give me anything other than PCM.

Does anyone have this working and can share their setup? thanks

Have you at least confirmed the content is direct streaming from Emby Server without any transcoding or remuxing?

Spaceboy

Have you at least confirmed the content is direct streaming from Emby Server without any transcoding or remuxing?

so it turns out that most media is direct streaming and bit streaming the audio to my avr. the problem is limited to live and recorded tv. this should have AC3 DD Stereo audio but its only being received as PCM by my avr. I can't see any settings for it in mediaportal or the emby plugin

RanmaCanada

You should be using SPMC as your external player.  It is a fork of Kodi that is designed especially for Android.  Grab it, use it and you will be happy.  Period.

Spaceboy

thanks but that isnt the issue here. i did try spmc and i may end up replacing kodi on my shield with it but it didnt solve this problem and i dont really like the way it launches and closes through the kodi menu.

this is a specific to how mediaportal and the android app are combining as DD 5.1 is reported in the web browser and ET.

Sounds like Archos is just deciding to pass the stream decoded to your AVR in this instance.  Since it is a stereo track, I doubt there would be much difference.  There is nothing very special about DD stereo.

Spaceboy

yeah sorry i didnt have archos set up correctly... unfortunately now i have a different problem.

its the same audio sync problem i had with dvblink on android. live tv, all channels with two audio tracks, the second track plays anywhere between 0.5 and 1.5 second ahead of the video when audio is bitstreamed to the avr. the delay can even vary on the same channel

recorded tv is absolutely fine but live and in progress recordings display the problem i described.

what could be causing this?

Sounds like a problem at the source since completely different playback engines are exhibiting the same thing.

Your AVR may have an adjustment for it but that would probably be a bigger pain than the one we have.