High Memory usage

mediacowboy

PenkethBoy

Same library settings on both or different?

I have them looking at different libraries - hence different ram values

they were both scanning at the time i posted - they then dropped back to approx 130mb and 350mb respectively once idle

they are also "new" databases - i.e. i recently deleted them to take advantage of the new db format with quicker access and smaller size etc - small chance it might be related if you have not done this

mediacowboy

So I am still doing early test but I believe I have figured out why I was getting high memory usage. I had both the dev server and the stable server in my roaming folder location. I found a old 250 GB Laptop hard drive laying around and decide to connect it to my computer via eSata hard dock. I have installed the dev server on it and am now importing my libraries. At this time I am using 1502240 K on the stable while streaming to google chrome and having the dashboard open. I then have the dev server using 692616 K. I have the home screen and dashboard open to monitor progress. I will update my findings as I test more.

At this time I do not have plugin installed but I am waiting for a library import to finish and I will restart emby dev to get them installed and start the configuration process.

Edited by mediacowboy

tobias-tobin

Hello,

I am currently troubleshooting why my internet upload bandwidth has dropped from ~20Mbps to ~.01Mbps.  This is not Emby's fault, I know.  But, in my troubleshooting I noticed that the media server process was using 97% of my 16GB of RAM.  I just rebooted the server and the RAM usage is rapidly climbing.  It has already pass 2GB and the only use of  the server is a client downstairs doing direct play.

I will keep watching and if it eats up all the RAM again I will collect logs and submit them but I just thought I would mention this since this has never happened before and I saw this thread. 

mediacowboy

Hello,

I am currently troubleshooting why my internet upload bandwidth has dropped from ~20Mbps to ~.01Mbps. This is not Emby's fault, I know. But, in my troubleshooting I noticed that the media server process was using 97% of my 16GB of RAM. I just rebooted the server and the RAM usage is rapidly climbing. It has already pass 2GB and the only use of the server is a client downstairs doing direct play.

I will keep watching and if it eats up all the RAM again I will collect logs and submit them but I just thought I would mention this since this has never happened before and I saw this thread.

I can't help with the ram but how old is your cable modem? I have had this happen to me before and the modem and went bad.

tobias-tobin

Hi Mediacowboy,

I think the ram issue might not be an issue.  I has stopped climbing and actually gone down some.

The modem is probably a year old.  It is the one from Xfinity - a Cisco device.  So when yours went out was there anything additional you noticed that I could look for?  I've checked the PWR levels and SNR and they seem ok.  It is really frustrating me.  I called them twice tonight and it was horrible.  

mediacowboy

Hi Mediacowboy,

I think the ram issue might not be an issue.  I has stopped climbing and actually gone down some.

The modem is probably a year old.  It is the one from Xfinity - a Cisco device.  So when yours went out was there anything additional you noticed that I could look for?  I've checked the PWR levels and SNR and they seem ok.  It is really frustrating me.  I called them twice tonight and it was horrible.  

I just noticed I wasn't getting my speeds. Nothing really indicated it was the modem. I have Suddenlink and I hate calling them so I feel your pain. Is it only your upload that has hit the tank or both?

tobias-tobin

In a sense both.  I just did a speed test to using Comcast's version of it.  I got 130Mbps down (right on) and .1 up.  130 or 120Mbps is my usual down on speedtests.  Today it has been anywhere from 3 to 130.  I ran a second speedtest on Comcast and this time my down was 3.8Mbps yes, 3.8 and it errored on my up measurement.

I thought maybe something on my network is going bonkers.  One time everything went crazy and it was a bad switch (that took a long time to figure out).  The extreme amount of variation in my down, and my consistent nearly non-existent up makes me think something has gone bad.  Maybe it is my router?  I put the Comcast Modem into gateway mode and then use the router for my network management.  It is a Netgear R7000 running Tomato by Shibby.

I know this is way off topic so I will not continue this here but I did want to show you this.  This is in my event log on my Comcast Modem/Router and it just repeats and repeats:

[Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:43:41 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:36:03 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:34:08 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:28:39 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:28:38 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:26:49 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:26:48 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:14:17 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:14:16

Critical

I very much appreciate your help on both topics and will communicate with Comcast about a new modem/router device.  This is so frustrating.  And yeah, I hate dealing with them on the phone.  It is almost always a surreal experience.

My RAM is under control so I think it was a one off issue.  I would guess.

mediacowboy

In a sense both.  I just did a speed test to using Comcast's version of it.  I got 130Mbps down (right on) and .1 up.  130 or 120Mbps is my usual down on speedtests.  Today it has been anywhere from 3 to 130.  I ran a second speedtest on Comcast and this time my down was 3.8Mbps yes, 3.8 and it errored on my up measurement.

I thought maybe something on my network is going bonkers.  One time everything went crazy and it was a bad switch (that took a long time to figure out).  The extreme amount of variation in my down, and my consistent nearly non-existent up makes me think something has gone bad.  Maybe it is my router?  I put the Comcast Modem into gateway mode and then use the router for my network management.  It is a Netgear R7000 running Tomato by Shibby.

I know this is way off topic so I will not continue this here but I did want to show you this.  This is in my event log on my Comcast Modem/Router and it just repeats and repeats:

[Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:43:41 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:36:03 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:34:08 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:28:39 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:28:38 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:26:49 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:26:48 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:14:17 Critical [Docsis][555]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 2017/1/2 18:14:16

Critical

I very much appreciate your help on both topics and will communicate with Comcast about a new modem/router device.  This is so frustrating.  And yeah, I hate dealing with them on the phone.  It is almost always a surreal experience.

My RAM is under control so I think it was a one off issue.  I would guess.

Ill send you a pm about your internet issue so we can keep this thread on topic.