"Next Up" erratic

T800

Started watching 24 with my Fiancee a couple of months ago.

We had 5 seasons and it never showed up on "Next Up". It was the only show doing this so I added it to favorites whenever we watch it from the amazon fire so it was easy to find. After finishing season 5 we decided to watch the rest so I added them to the library.

For the 1st time after adding season 6 it appeared in "Next Up"

If seasons 1-5 are marked as played, season 6 appears in "Next Up", if I mark the 1st episode as played, it's still in "Next Up", if I mark episode 2 as played it disappears and continues with this behavior for the whole season.

Marking the 2nd episode as watched totally removes it.

If I mark seasons 5 and 6 as unplayed, episode 1 from the 6th season is "Next Up", not season 5.

Any idea's? 

Edited by T800

I haven't seen this but when something is marked watched it will not be in next up. Maybe you just need to refresh the page if this is the web app.

I've tried all sorts. I've refreshed the web page every time I try it. It's definitely not that. I've got every episode from Season 1 to Season 9. After episode 2 of season 6 it disappears from "Next Up"

Apologies for the pic heavy post.

Here's what it looks like now for 24, no "Next Up":

58355816d0e1c_ScreenShot20161123at074216

Season 6 screen, played up to episode 12:

583558c69b59d_ScreenShot20161123at074246

Last episode played:

5835586d96561_ScreenShot20161123at074257

Next episode, unplayed:

583558fc6bd53_ScreenShot20161123at074304

Starting again.

When I've unplayed them all in season 6, except episode 1:

58355912a1b5f_ScreenShot20161123at074344

As you can see there's a "Next Up" for episode 2:

583575d7d4dd5_ScreenShot20161123at074352

After I mark episode 2 as played then refreshed the screen, "Next Up' gone:

583575f9a3e33_ScreenShot20161123at074413

Season 6:

5835761875923_ScreenShot20161123at074424

When I set episodes as played/unplayed the .nfo's are being adjusted as you would expect.

blade005

What about other series?

@@Luke,

I am seeing this erratic NEXT UP behavior in Emby 3.1.234 beta. It only happens in my DVR Library. All NEXT UP listings seemed to have been wiped clean after the update. I have re-scanned the library, run clean database, but they won't populate back as they were yesterday before the update. Verified that the library is there, all of the files show up and populate the LATEST section, but none will show in NEXT UP. This is only for my DVR Library. A separate TV Collection library is working just fine.

It seems like it is forgetting or re-setting any previous watched status indicators in a series, so nothing shows up in NEXT UP until you start viewing shows in series again. Tested this by going into a series that has multiple episodes that should be in the NEXT UP section. If I mark the episode that is next as PLAYED and then go back to the DVR Library, then the next episode in the series will be populated in the NEXT UP section. But, it should have remembered the played status of the series and already had the next episode queued up in NEXT UP tab.

It's as if I went into my Netflix or Hulu watched history and just cleared it all out. I would have to start watching shows again in order to rebuild the watch history and get it to populate as expected with Next Up or suggestions.

For me, this is in my DVR Library only. One in which I typically record, populate in Emby library, watch (mark as played) and then delete. Adding the next episode the next week typically has put this item in my NEXT UP queue. That is what seems to be missing.

Happy2Play

Look at your last screenshot and the episode names.  Why are they different?

Do the seasons have season numbers? It is probably due to a metadata anomaly with this series.

Sorry Luke, yes they all have season numbers.

Another thing to note is on my main HTPC running Kodi via the Emby add-on, is 24 is always in TV Shows In-Progress like it should be.

• 6 months later...
Heckler

Revisiting an old topic, but it came up in my searches regarding a very similar problem I was having with 2 shows that wouldn't show any next up within the show or season folders in the webUI, nor would these shows ever populate in the next up page.

It's something that's been an issue for a while now, but I cannot pin point exactly when this bug was introduced... But I can say with 100% certainty what now caused it.

If you have ANY and I do mean any episode that is not numbered correctly, it screws up anything that comes after it... Emby never used to be this sensitive because some of these shows have been included in my collection for many, many years... For example, some have been DVD rips of the Simpsons that I took from my own collection and are still in avi formats from 15 or more years ago. but one of those seasons had an incorrectly named file missing a single '0' in the season part... nothing after that episode would ever show as a next up.

Also with Family Guy, it was down to the incorrect naming of the Stewie the untold story special... which was placed after S3 and before S4... Everything from S04E01 onwards wold never show up next up.

In both cases, fixing the filename and doing a full refresh of them fixed the issue... But it took me a very long time to discover what was causing the issue in the first place.  It's a problem that has plagued me for months and I've looked into it on and of for at least 6-8 months.

As said... I don't know 'which' version of emby introduced this issue... But I can state with 100% certainty that it never caused a problem until whatever changes were made to make it more sensitive and picky... Another case of changes introducing unintended and as far as I can tell... unknown consequences.

tl:dr  Any file that is not named perfectly WILL cause the next up feature to stop functioning for that show once that mislabeled show episode is reached.

Edited by Heckler

Heckler

@@Heckler - check the SORT Title fields of the episodes and see if there's anything in there.

If so, remove it.

I had an issue with next episodes not showing up and it was due to that.

More up to date thread here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48401-next-up-skipping-episodes/

I don't use sort fields on tv shows/episodes, only on a few specific movies that I need in a certain order.. Such as movie that form part of a series but have vastly different names that place them all over the shop... or films with identical titles (such as remakes/reboots) that I want chronologically.

CBers

I don't use sort fields on tv shows/episodes, only on a few specific movies that I need in a certain order.. Such as movie that form part of a series but have vastly different names that place them all over the shop... or films with identical titles (such as remakes/reboots) that I want chronologically.

You might not use them, but they got messed up a few releases back and data started appearing in the fields.

• Like 1

You might not use them, but they got messed up a few releases back and data started appearing in the fields.

Only in select situations, but yes, it is possible that this happened.

Heckler

I'm well aware that things got messed up... I've said more than enough on the subject.  :)

I actually had to reinstall everything from scratch which has caused massive issues with metadata... I ended up refreshing all TV shows that were mid seasons as the way it added and stored meadata had changed under the new install. But the problems were related to season/episode numbering... I double checked and no sort date in them.  I did find a couple of shows that i use sorting on though... so I get various shows like star trek, stargate in the correct order. But that's not affecting anything either.

I'd also like to say... that the reason for the complete reinstall was caused by the infinite update loop issue that's still not fixed after more than a year... that clusterf*ck has caused me so many problems that i honestly think that the devs simply don't have a f*cking clue what's causing it or how to fix it... Because more than a year later and it's still a problem.

I have to manually download each new release and side load it after making a complete backup... So I can actually revert properly if I see useless UI changes that continue to make the user experience worse.

Oh look at that... I guess I did have more to say on the subject.  :)

On the plus side... it means I now have a growing repository of past releases... seeing as you can't grab old versions if you hate those very changes that make it worse.

Edited by Heckler