MBPlus - Gauging Interest

keef

MBPlus Interest  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in this plug-in?

I've got a small group going right now.  If that goes well, I can try to expand it a little bit but I've hit the forum max on a private conversation right now.

Still work to be done but it is coming along.

• Like 1

Are there any folks out there who use MBC for music that would like to join the alpha group?

Do you have to be on the dev server??

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

No, but you need to be on the brand new beta of MBC I just put up.

AgileHumor

EBR, would it be possible to create a single click "Play Watched Favorite TV on Shuffle".  Basically this is background TV, so it can't include unwatched episodes.  In my case, it would play random episodes of Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and That 70s Show.

Also, having a Netflix like "Play Next Episode after 10 seconds" showing 3 random episodes...and then defaulting to one if none selected.

The playing watched TV thing seems a bit obscure and I'm not really sure how to fit that in here anywhere but we'll see.

On your second request, all MBPlus channels basically operate this way.

Pelon

I always have the beta version of MBC/MBT/Server. So when I get home and start MBC, it will ask me for an upgrade. I do have a music collection, so I could easly test this.

xXSagaiaXx

I didn't have this with MB2 but I really like to give this a try.

Would there be an option to edit or create channels and/or create channels for movies as well.

S.

Edited by xXSagaiaXx

BATTLE DONKEY

Are there any folks out there who use MBC for music that would like to join the alpha group?

I have been setting up my music and I'm on both beta versions of the server and MBClassic if u need anymore testers

xXSagaiaXx

I would love to help test. I just started a couple of weeks ago setting up my music

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm on beta Dev is a bit too cutting edge for me!! PM me if you still want me to test.

cheers

lee

xXSagaiaXx

Yes, ebr I'd like to join the alpha group to test the music. I have a test machine up and I am converting my music to the proper naming convention daily.

Thanks,

S.

AgileHumor

The playing watched TV thing seems a bit obscure and I'm not really sure how to fit that in here anywhere but we'll see.

Thanks Sir!

I guess it's the difference of foreground TV (where your paying attention) and background TV while you clean/work/file taxes/etc.  The latter you don't want to watch new TV that requires your attention that unwatched episodes will require.

Just a thought.

I miss the days the TV played something, regardless of me doing anything to keep it playing, while cleaning on Saturday for a few hours.

Edited by AgileHumor

seanbuff

@@ebr, you're awesome! I love how flexible this is.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

AgileHumor

Now,I'm just brainstorming...but it would be great to play favorite + watched TV (both boxes checked) using my home automation setup triggered by a simple HTTP get request to MBS.

More details here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6271-simple-http-api-call-to-play-favorite-tv-random-tv-movies/

If there is ever a way to call this feature to start playing from an external device via a REST command...please let me know.

And the last major piece of functionality to be tested by my alpha group (I haven't released it to them yet - hopefully tomorrow):

53449c8d012ef_mbpcustom4.png

• 2 weeks later...
Tolerant

Here's where it could get even more interesting...

- All Action Movies with Tom Cruise in them (I guess that just eliminates "Jerry MaGuire" ;))

- All Movies with genres you choose

I see why some people might want that, but if I want to see all the movies with Tom Cruise in them, i just go to People and Tom Cruise, presto a list of movies with Tom Cruise. Having a whole channel I had to setup in advance for a specific person almost seems insane but maybe that is because i have seen them already. If I suddenly had another 2500 movies I had NOT watched, then maybe the addon would be interesting for me. Same goes for Genres, the ability is already there, it just becomes a matter of do I want this stuff on my main page or do I mind a couple clicks to get it. 

MB3-Server is already suggesting movies for me, however once marked as watched it no longer suggests anything unless it is not watched. So I can almost envision a way this addon could be useful to me, if it had a setting to use watched movies weighted against unwatched. But the same could be said about MB3-Server, it could simply have that option as well and then I would get suggestions again.. sure I have seen them, but that is what "rewatchability" is all about.

Anyways.. good luck with the plugin, it looks like it will get a fair amount of traffic even if it is premium. ;)

The custom channels can be much more than just a person - that was just a simple example but, notice I said Action movies with Tom Cruise and it could have been three different actors as well and also only ones with a tomato score over 50%, etc.  There are a lot of possibilities with custom channels.  Also, these special custom channels will one day be replaced by the server's upcoming smart playlist capabilities - but that doesn't exist yet and, when it does, it will fold right into this interface.

But, you are right that a lot of what MBPlus does is just putting things up front.  It basically is making it really easy to get to the things you are most likely to want to get to.  It works really well with TV.  If you watch several series via MB at the same time, MB Plus will put these right in front of you with all the next episodes queued right up.

MBPlus also will allow an unprecedented level of customization to your interface in MBC.  You can tailor it to be pretty much exactly what you want.

This add-on definitely won't be for everyone.  I originally built it for myself because it made it so easy to watch what I want to each evening.  It will be free during beta testing so you can try it out if you wish.

A public beta will be coming very soon.

DigiTM

Great job.  Just wondering the reason for Random Channel to have Only Watched Episodes?  Wouldn't this be Unwatched Episodes?  So you have a stack of unwatched TV shows/episodes but don't know what to watch, so you select Random and voila.

Also noticed in TV Genre there is no image.