60fps content dropping frames (SNL)

AdrianW

Sammy

Back to ET and 60fps content. Again, I know that @@Luke and @@ebr like feedback on fixes so here it is.

I changed madVR Control Panel to make the switch on ET Player going full screen and exiting when leaving full screen. I tried several different video files and pressed the "TV Info" button on my remote and am happy to report that ET/madVR is making the frame rate switches as it should. The problem I am having is that some of my files are mis-tagged in the metadata (I think). These are  copy freely network TV Shows that I get automatically so as to not have to watch commercials.. They have apparently been assigned the wrong frame rate when re-encoding them. This is not a fault of Emby or madVR. I assume madVR has no way to detect the jerky-ness because based on the meta data provided it thinks everything is okay. I have Smooth Motion set to on if there will be judder but of course it isn't doing anything. I know this is a long shot but is there any way to force this with a toggle or something? Otherwise, how to change the metadata tag in the *.mkv itself?

Thanks.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

Force what with a toggle? Am i correct in understanding that now you are seeing full performance?

Sammy

It is working as expected, switching frame rate as indicated in the metadata in the associated file. What I'm wondering, and maybe this is for @@madshi himself, is it possible to force smooth motion even when madVR thinks there's no judder because the frame rate in the metadata matches the refresh rate of the output through the GPU to the screen. I realize that this is an odd and probably isolated case/request but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Edited by Sammy

AdrianW

I'm still having to use MPC-HC as an external player for 60fps and even some 30fps stuff - ET still drops a *lot* of frames.

AdrianW

Did you try Sammy's suggestions?

I think Sammy's problem was different to mine - he was having problems with his TV not switching to the correct frame rate.

Mine switches correctly (or with 60 fps content the TV just stays at 60 fps).

My problem is just dropping frames in ET but not in MPC-HC (same content, same frame rate, same MadVR settings).

nicko84

Hello,

+1 again with 50fps

No way to use MadVr with ET and 50fps so i use EVR+ or MPC-HC which is dealing good with 50fps and MadVR (same settings).

All is fine with 23.976fps and ET+MadVR

My TV switch to the correct frame rate.

• Like 1

I think Sammy's problem was different to mine - he was having problems with his TV not switching to the correct frame rate.

Mine switches correctly (or with 60 fps content the TV just stays at 60 fps).

My problem is just dropping frames in ET but not in MPC-HC (same content, same frame rate, same MadVR settings).

You are correct.

I'm still having issues with judder on 23.976fps playback. It is nearly unwatchable. As a matter of fact, we switched over to Blue Neon on Roku to watch stuff until I have time to sort it out.

I need to test these files using MPC-HC and verify playback there. If it is good then there's an issue with the ET video player.

Can Ctrl J be used to display current statistics? Sorry, just thought of it but am at work so I cannot try it.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this as it is similar but maybe not exactly the same as what Adrian is reporting. Either way, I'll test and grab a log for both the server and the transcoder and post them when I get the chance to test it.

• 4 weeks later...
AdrianW

Now ET (at least on my D54250WYK NUC) is dropping frames on 24Hz H265 720p content, and again MPC-HC can play the same content with no issues.

shaithis

Sme problem here, cpu (Xeon 1230v2) and gpu (GTX980) are twiddling their thumbs, yet video is juddering like crazy. Play in an external player and silky smooth.

It seems to be problem after problem lately, can't remember the last time I went to watch something through Emby and it just worked properly :(

But at least I can easily roll back to a working version....oh wait, I cant....

• Like 1

Sme problem here, cpu (Xeon 1230v2) and gpu (GTX980) are twiddling their thumbs, yet video is juddering like crazy. Play in an external player and silky smooth.

It seems to be problem after problem lately, can't remember the last time I went to watch something through Emby and it just worked properly :(

But at least I can easily roll back to a working version....oh wait, I cant....

You could just disable Madvr for now and it will be fine.

AdrianW

You could just disable Madvr for now and it will be fine.

Can you expand on that? I'm using MPC-HC with madVR with no issues.

Is there a conflict between madVR and ET? And how long is "for now" ?

Right now the only thing I can think of is that the use a Windows Forms window might be causing some drawing overhead. If we were to remove that and just use lower level windows api's then I would imagine we'd be doing the same thing that MPC is doing.

AdrianW

If we were to remove that and just use lower level windows api's then I would imagine we'd be doing the same thing that MPC is doing.

Please consider trying that.

When I bring up the MadVR overlay in ET, I can see that it's dropping multiple frames per second - but towards the top is says "1 frame drop every xx hours", so it thinks it can keep up, but it just isn't.

AdrianW

For now I'm using MPC-HC as an external player, but I've noticed that it's no longer switching frame rates when playback starts. 

I have the appropriate options set in the MadVR config (under "display modes"). Does something in ET conflict with the MadVR method of switching refresh rates?

Even when running MPC-HC standalone, I can no longer get it to switch refresh rates. I have that option set in ET and when using ET's player, the refresh rate does switch correctly.

OT - my son noticed that styled subtitles (e.g. .ass) display properly in MPC-HC but just as plain text in ET's player - so that's another reason to stick to an external player.

daedalus

OT - my son noticed that styled subtitles (e.g. .ass) display properly in MPC-HC but just as plain text in ET's player - so that's another reason to stick to an external player.

+1

here i get flickering styled ass subs and a crash after a couple seconds with madVR

great work one of your forced updates fked it up again

daedalus

and why it magically doesn't work anymore ?

styled ass subs worked before in ET and still work with MPC

Edited by daedalus

AdrianW

I checked this today - and ass subs are working correctly (both internal and external).

daedalus

i tracked it down a bit

this only happens if there are effects like fading and its madvr thats crashing not ET

simple styles like fonts/color work normal