60fps content dropping frames (SNL)

AdrianW

AdrianW

Is anyone else having issues with SNL dropping heaps of frames every second in ET with MadVR? (It's direct playing).

It's most likely because it's recorded at 60fps.

I've already set MadVR to only use bicubic resizing for anything over 24fps. Originally I thought it was due to my NUC (D54250WYK, i5, HD5000) not having enough grunt - but the same thing happens on my desktop (i7 2600 + AMD HD7970).

On either machine playing back the same video in MPC-HC with MadVR doesn't drop any frames at all.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I started using these settings when I was experiencing drops. Also, is your gpu refresh rate set 59Hz? And you're using the new LAV filters? They just got updated to edge.

5858c15dd1540_Snapshot_405.jpg

5858c17a20e21_Snapshot_406.jpg

5858c191f32d3_Snapshot_407.jpg

AdrianW

Have you customized the embedded madvr installation?

I just totally removed and re-installed ET and it's still having the same issues on both MadVR stable and edge.

I did notice that with one particular video that the chroma was being upscaled by DXVA when playing in MPC-HC but by Bilinear in ET. Under MadVR settings > trade quality for performance I have both "use DXVA chroma upscaling ..." checkboxes checked. So, it's strange that MPC-HC is doing it where ET is not.

If I uncheck those two options, then MPC-HC also drops frames.

The desktop refresh rate is set to 59Hz - and this content correctly doesn't cause a refresh rate change.

I tried the settings shown in Doofus's post - but they cause more dropped frames than using Bilinear for both. I even tried Nearest Neighbour but that was dropping frames as well.

It appears to be the rendering time (one line up from the bottom of the MadVR stats overlay) that is too high.

nicko84

Hello,

After several tests i've good results with Madvr on ET, BUT with settings below the settings i can use with MPC-HC/Madvr.

On ET/Madvr all is fine with chroma and image upscaling Bilinear settings but not with chroma upscaling Bicubic and image upscaling Lanczos for example : video is jerking.

With same settings on MPC-HC/Madvr (Bicubic and Lanczos) the image is perfect, no jerks, no drops.

I've done these tests with 24 (23.976) and 50 fps videos, and i guess it would be the same with 60fps.

You could try Bilinear settings or just settings below yours and look if you've the same issue with ET/Madvr and 60 fps (but you've done it i think) ?

May be the problem is due to ET video engine and not to Madvr wich is just the render... 

NB : i use HD Graphics 2000

Best Regards

Edited by nicko84

daedalus

i mentioned the performance drop on ET in comparison to MPC here and here again months ago but got ignored

i suspect it has something to do with the constant load that emby theater puts on gpu and cpu even on idle

Edited by daedalus

I'm noticing that ET is not resetting the refresh rate upon stop or exit. My TV reports 1080p/24fps upon stop. When I fully exit the app the refresh reverts but not upon stop and/or exit from playback of 24fps (23.976fps) content.

I will do more testing with the madVR settings and also verify switching with EMC loading MPC-HC as an external player and report back but in the mean time, is there logs to post here?

Edited by Sammy

So.. Here's my settings.

I'm not getting a return to native 60fps when stopping playback. I don't get it until I exit ET completely.

post-110-0-71963900-1482411850_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-63923000-1482411857_thumb.jpg

nicko84

+1

According the problem of return to native refresh rate (23.975 to 50 Mps) when stopping playback on ET/Madvr : sometime it works, sometime not.

I've never this problem with MPC-HC and Madvr (and same settings of Madvr in both cases)

NB : when i quit ET the original refresh rate is coming back to 50 Mps, same issue as Sammy

I use HD Graphics 2000

Edited by nicko84
  • Like 1

Should I change it such that the auto refresh rate change is triggered by full screen enter/exit instead of by Player started/closed?

Edited by Sammy

do you have any video enhancements enabled in the amd drivers? often times they are enabled by default. you could try turning those off.

Do you have any numbers in regards to quantity of frames dropped? If you run MPC with ET already open (to simulate an external player), what do you see there?

AdrianW

Do you have any numbers in regards to quantity of frames dropped? If you run MPC with ET already open (to simulate an external player), what do you see there?

For me playing a 60fps 720p episode of SNL is dropping around 12 frames per second. Playing the same episode in MPC-HC with ET sitting in the background and it doesn't drop any.

can you try mpc as an external player? i want to gauge for any app-related impact that is outside of the video player. thanks !

I will try this but probably not until tomorrow. My TV will report back the input resolution and frame rate if other than the native 60fps. It will say 1080p/24Hz on everything I play in ET even if it is not 23.975fps content. That said I will continue testing. TIA.

AdrianW

can you try mpc as an external player? i want to gauge for any app-related impact that is outside of the video player.

I setup MPC-HC as an external player (I noticed that cursor left and right don't work when entering parameters but at least I could paste the path in).

I used the MPC-HC "/fullscreen" option to cause it to start fullscreen and playback didn't drop any frames.

This isn't an ET issue but I tried using "/start {ms}" MPC command line parameter and MPC failed to start complaining about an unknown parameter.

Edited by AdrianW

daedalus
This isn't an ET issue but I tried using "/start {ms}" MPC command line parameter and MPC failed to start complaining about an unknown parameter.

it is an ET issue i mentioned it here here

it is an ET issue i mentioned it here here

@@daedalus it is actually not an ET issue because the screen instructs that each argument needs to be on a separate line. /start ms are two arguments and need to be separated.

AdrianW

...each argument needs to be on a separate line. /start ms are two arguments and need to be separated.

I just tried with "/start" on one line and "{ms}" on the next and it worked.