Emby Server running under .NET Core

Luke

gstuartj

Fantastic! Thank you, Luke and the rest of the team. Looking forward to seeing the performance differences between .Net Core and Mono.

It does seem to be lighter on memory consumption, but at this point the focus is more on making sure everything is functionally equivalent.

Thanks. And you can run this on Windows as well, it just doesn't currently have windows-specific features like the tray icon or windows service.

Update attached. It's running very well under the Microsoft runtime right now, in my testing at least.

Guest plexman

Im having the following error while trying to run the app in .NET under Ubuntu 16.04.

.NET version:

1.0.0-preview2-1-003177

Microsoft .NET Core Shared Framework Host

Version  : 1.1.0
  Build    : 928f77c4bc3f49d892459992fb6e1d5542cb5e86

Error while running dotnet Emby.Server.dll:

Error: assembly specified in the dependencies manifest was not found -- package: 'Microsoft.Extensions.PlatformAbstractions', version: '1.0.0', path: 'lib/netstandard1.3/Microsoft.Extensions.PlatformAbstractions.dll'

I tried running dotnet publish to solve the problem of dependencies but I got the following error:

'/root/emby-server' does not contain a project.json file

Regards.

aenima99x

I'm still having the same issue, either in ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10.

I'm also running into the same issue on Ubuntu 16.10

Guest plexman

On windows it starts up ok from the command line for me. I have not tried ubuntu yet.

Ok maybe it's my problem, I'm just installing the netcore command line version, trying to run it and it doesnt work (error above). If I need to have something else installed or do anything other than installing the command line SDK let me know so I can test it.

You need to go to the .net core website that I linked to earlier and first install the .net core runtime

Guest plexman

I've tried both with the same problem. And with both installed too. The problem is the missing dll, when I go to the folder lib/netstandard1.3 it only has two dll's. And there is not the one required. This with the default installation of either the SDK or the runtime.

Guest plexman

Ok, here are the results of my tests:

• Windows 10 x64:

With the recommended download of .NET Core by Micorosft (found here), if you run directly the "dotnet Emby.Server.dll" as Luke said it doesn't work because of Sqlite 3. It throws this error because of missing sqlite3.sll:

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': No se puede encontrar el módulo especificado. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
   at SQLitePCL.SQLite3Provider_sqlite3.NativeMethods.sqlite3_libversion_number()
   at SQLitePCL.SQLite3Provider_sqlite3.SQLitePCL.ISQLite3Provider.sqlite3_libversion_number()
   at Emby.Server.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\dev\Emby.dev\src\Emby.Server\Program.cs:line 69

So, you go to Sqlite downloads page and download the "Precompiled Binaries for Windows". Inside you have the "sqlite3.dll" that you need to put in the folder of your server (In luke's attachment case, the folder "PublishOutput"). Unzip the .dll file and put it in the server's folder. Now the server it's going to startup correctly. The server startups great with the initial wizard working, but, the server detects an update. Then if you try to load something it doesn't work anymore, refreshing the page redirects you to the "Select server" page and doesn't allow you to connect the server anymore because the server needs an update (screenshot attached). I've tried disabling the automatic updates but instantly as I press "Save settings" it redirects to me to the "Select server" .This is all I can report until I'll have time for more testing. As the server starts, it creates a log file (obviously attached down  ;) ).

• Ubuntu 16.04

Installed .NET Core with Microsoft's recommendation here, same problem as before if you run "dotnet Emby.Server.dll" it crashs because of sqlite3.dll with this error:

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found.
 (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
   at SQLitePCL.SQLite3Provider_sqlite3.NativeMethods.sqlite3_libversion_number()
   at SQLitePCL.SQLite3Provider_sqlite3.SQLitePCL.ISQLite3Provider.sqlite3_libversion_number()
   at Emby.Server.Program.Main(String[] args)
Abortado

If you put the same "sqlite3.dll" that I said before, it throws again the error above, I suppose that it's because it's not a Windows system and sqlite3 should be installed differently, I don't have time to investigate further now, but this weekend I will try it and post it. (As the server doesn't start, no log is created).

post-121704-0-55125500-1481567269_thumb.png

server-63617167727.txt

For windows, here is what you need to do with sqlite:

- download precompiled sqlite, either x86 or x64, create either an x86 or x64 subfolder and drop sqlite3.dll in there. If you're not sure, doing both is fine.

Also I've updated the build in the first post. The server was reporting it's version as 1.0.0, which is why other Emby apps were rejecting it as being too old. So that's now corrected.