ServerWMC Not Connected

iam4uk

krustyreturns

Ok, so I've tried changing ports, firewall settings etc. Still no luck. Am I the only one? @@krustyreturns any chance you can take a look at this?

Can you still not connect mb3 to swmc?  You have swmc on a difference computer than MB3.  I know this is obvious, but...

In mb3, for the swmc plugin settings you have set the IP to the address of the machine running swmc.  Right?  And the ports numbers match between the swmc plugin and swmc?

scarecrow420

Yes that's it !

To start ServerWMC BEFORE MB Server is running you have to :

First, you run"install.bat" in "C:\Program Files\ServerWMC" to install ServerWMC as a Service (with autostart)

Than you chose to start MB3 Server as a Service too (and not to start it with Windows) AND you modify the MB3 Service from autostart to autostart (delayed).

Thanks for your help !

Also I just want to make sure you found the ServerWMC wiki information about running as a service?  This was added for some power users only so it isnt seamlessly integrated into the application as yet.  You MUST change the config file manually to set RunAsService to true, this is to stop the GUI ServerWMC app from trying to also bind to the port and receive client requests etc.  For anyone who wants to run ServerWMC as a windows service, please make sure you hit up the wiki and go through the required steps to succesfully get ServerWMC running as a serivce

• Like 1

swhitmore

Can you still not connect mb3 to swmc?  You have swmc on a difference computer than MB3.  I know this is obvious, but...

In mb3, for the swmc plugin settings you have set the IP to the address of the machine running swmc.  Right?  And the ports numbers match between the swmc plugin and swmc?

Yeah, every time I try and set the IP and port in the swmc plugin in MBS I get the "Connection Failed" error message.

Edited by swhitmore

krustyreturns

When you installed swmc, you let it open the port when windows threw up the warning, right?

Have you tried just entering the host name rather than the address in the mbs window?

krustyreturns

I would suggest the order shouldnt matter (MB3 should keep attempting to connect to ServerWMC so when it is started, the connection is established).  

If mb3 starts before serverwmc, when it finds swmc is not there, it stops trying.  It will try again, but its a scheduled task and its quite a wait.  If you want to manually make it try again, you just tell it to refresh the guide (scheduled tasks>live tv>refresh guide).  This will get improved eventually, but its on the mb3 side, not the plugin.

Edited by krustyreturns

swhitmore

When you installed swmc, you let it open the port when windows threw up the warning, right?

Have you tried just entering the host name rather than the address in the mbs window?

Hmm, I can't remember. I've tried reinstalling. I see it in the Windows Firewall exception though. I also check, the port 9080 is listening.

swhitmore

have you tried telnet to connect from the client to the host computer over 9080?

Not yet. Good idea though. I'll give that a crack.

AgileHumor

@@swhitmore, Replace the server "MEDIAPC" with your IP address of the local PC.  Even if you get an error, you should stick with the IP address for now.

Can you share the command line output of "ipconfig /all"?  Could ServerWMC be binding to another IP address on the PC?

post-424-0-01208900-1390884419_thumb.png

Edited by AgileHumor

swhitmore

@@swhitmore, Replace the server "MEDIAPC" with your IP address of the local PC.  Even if you get an error, you should stick with the IP address for now.

Can you share the command line output of "ipconfig /all"?  Could ServerWMC be binding to another IP address on the PC?

I can ping the hostname and IP address from the server fine. If I use the IP address, I still get the connection failed and the setting doesn't stick. It goes back to 127.0.0.1

swhitmore

have you tried telnet to connect from the client to the host computer over 9080?

Ok, I have PuTTy installed. How do I test the port?

krustyreturns

with telnet I do:

telnet <ipaddress> <port>

so in my case:

telnet  192.168.1.229  9080

if it connects, telnet won't show an error and swmc will show

<-- client connected, getting request -->

in the bottom of the status tab

hopefully putty is the same

swhitmore

with telnet I do:

telnet <ipaddress> <port>

so in my case:

telnet  192.168.1.229  9080

if it connects, telnet won't show an error and swmc will show

<-- client connected, getting request -->

in the bottom of the status tab

hopefully putty is the same

What telnet client do you use?

krustyreturns

Yeah, sorry.  The bonehead way to do it is:

Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>turn windows features on and off> enable telnet

swhitmore

Ok, thanks guys (I should have known that). I'm able to connect on the localhost, and I get <---Client Connected, waiting for request---> in the SWMC status bar. I can't connect using telnet from any other machine though. I've tried with and without Windows Firewall on on both machines. I don't have any other Firewalls. 

Here is the netstat on the HTPC:

hO6fAxv.png

Edited by swhitmore

krustyreturns

Assuming when telnet failed it said something like "cannot open connection to ..."  then something is blocking the connection on your network.  Since you looked at the software firewalls, how about your router?

If you are using a wireless connection, can you try to get it working wired first?

Edited by krustyreturns

scarecrow420

Also if you have virus scanner or other security software it can also have a firewall or portblocker in it.  For the purposes of trouble shooting, disable any security software and try again.  If it works then you can look at how to configure your security software to allow the ServerWMC application to receive connections

• Like 1

overClocked!

Also I just want to make sure you found the ServerWMC wiki information about running as a service?  This was added for some power users only so it isnt seamlessly integrated into the application as yet.  You MUST change the config file manually to set RunAsService to true, this is to stop the GUI ServerWMC app from trying to also bind to the port and receive client requests etc.  For anyone who wants to run ServerWMC as a windows service, please make sure you hit up the wiki and go through the required steps to succesfully get ServerWMC running as a service

I'd like to add to what scarecrow420, jcain, and niko84 touched on.  There is a way for you to force Windows services to start in a predetermined order by defining service dependencies.  You can force the MediaBrowser service to wait until the ServerWMC_Service has successfully started, thus ensuring it will connect (as long as your configuration is correct).  It involves a very simple registry tweak.  Here's how I do it:

1. First make sure you have configured MediaBrowser Server to run as a service.
  2. Install / configure the ServerWMC plugin and test to make sure Media Browser Server successfully connects to it.
  3. Configure ServerWMC to run as a service in accordance with the instructions on the Wiki page:  http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/ServerWMC#Running_ServerWMC_as_a_service.  Make sure you edit and save that config.xml file, too!
  4. Set the service startup type to Automatic and apply changes.
  5. Open Regedit.exe.
  6. Navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MediaBrowser
  7. Look for the DependOnService value on the right that should already be created and double-click to edit it's value. 
  8. Edit the Multistring value that pops up by adding "ServerWMC_Service" (without the quotation marks) on a new line.
  9. Click OK. 

52e8b7a2e210a_MBService_dep1.png

52e8b85d3d27f_MBService_dep2.png

52e8b8896c9b9_MBService_dep3.png

This will ensure that the MediaBrowser service waits until ServerWMC enters the Started state.  I will say that as of now, I'm still having issues with the MediaBrowser service sometimes not starting automatically when it should on Windows startup.  This is a different issue unrelated to the ServerWMC service dependency.

One thing to note is that if you ever manually stop the ServerWMC service, Windows will warn you that the MediaBrowser service will also be stopped as a part of that action.  This is normal.

Read this Microsoft KB article about delaying the loading of specific services.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

To all Devs, keep up the awesome, awesome work!  This is amazing stuff happening here. 

Edited by overClocked!
  • Like 1

overClocked!

While we're on the subject of services, another thing you might want to do for both the MediaBrowser and ServerWMC_Service is to set their Recovery types in case the services stop all of the sudden.

1. Launch services.mmc.
  2. Locate the service and double-click the name.
  3. Click on the Recovery tab.
  4. Set the First failure, Second failure, an Subsequent failures values to "Restart the Service". 

52e8b91287515_ServerWMC_Recovery1.png

That will make sure they attempt to restart themselves if they croak for some reason (other than stopping manually).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the same ServerWMC issues has found here.  After playing around with the services I was finally able to get ServerWMC to connect.  A few things I've noticed along the way...

MBS Version 3.0.5147.28758

ServerWMC Version 1.0.0.23

Once I changed from localhost to my IP, I was informed under LiveTV that I had to update my version of ServerWMC.  Once updated, it was finally able to connect (making sure of the order of MBS and ServerWMC loading).

Still could not get IE11 to load LiveTV video however.  Kept getting the following errors:

52f4d38925f4e_Capture08.png

52f4d396aa9ef_Capture09.png

So I decided to try Chrome.  And BINGO!  Works perfect.  Just wanted to share because that validates that I have everything set up correctly but there seems to be an issue with interfacing to IE11...  Is this a known issue?  Do others have it working under IE11?  Is there still something else I may have overlooked in my configuration?

• Like 1