Can't get Emby for Kodi to direct play

bozrdnag

hifiaudio2

Man this is so frustrating.  So I dont "think"  there is any possible way that this has to do with my paths in Emby server since the other Shield works fine with settings that are, as far as I can tell, identical to this new Shield. I did a full factory reset on the new Shield, downloaded only Kodi and installed AZ:FA and Emby for Kodi,  and still continuously get the notice that it cannot find the files.  

Is there any way it has to do with my paths if one Shield works?  

Angelblue05

what is the playback mode selected for the shield that works? If it's addon, then that's your answer... It's playing your files via HTTP, bypassing your path issues. What are your paths set as in Emby, do you have any path substitution in place? 

hifiaudio2

Its playing back from SMB...

Here is an example path:

Folder:
G:\Media\Kids Movies
(Optional) Shared network folder:
\\Nanoxia\Media2\Kids Movies

If this folder is shared on your network, supplying the network share path can allow Emby apps on other devices to access media files directly.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

How do you know it's playing back from smb if you can't get the log? :) Did you check the addon settings, as currently the server will say it's Direct playing (even if it's from HTTP as technically, that is correct)

Try the following, on the shield that doesn't work. Go to settings > addons > install from zip > navigate to your content, does Kodi have access?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

The setting to verify is under sync options > playback mode. Depending on that, the playback tab settings will have effect or not.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok keep me posted. If your second shield is using the exact same path, and playback mode, there's no reason why Kodi should be complaining unless Kodi's access to your files is restricted. The install from zip test should let you know.

hifiaudio2

I very quickly looked at it before I got in the car and it does NOT seem like it can see the server. So that must be the issue. I thought about that earlier in this thread....so I'm not sure where to change those permissions. Hmm

CBers

I very quickly looked at it before I got in the car and it does NOT seem like it can see the server. So that must be the issue. I thought about that earlier in this thread....so I'm not sure where to change those permissions. Hmm

Do both Shield's have an Ip on the same subnet ??

For Example, are the both 192.168.1.x ??

Do they have static IP addresses, or are they using DHCP ??

• Like 1

hifiaudio2

Both are on same subnet,  and both use DHCP, although they are always xxx.xxx.x.13 and xxx.xxx.x.76.   

I messed with it last night and got the SMB path to show up on the new Shield in the "install from zip"  section as mentioned above by going to videos -  files -  add source  and adding the smb server name, username, and pw there,  but that still did not help with my issue of Kodi telling me that it cannot find the movies and do I want to stop sync and / or it telling me that a movie I click on cannot be found and do I want to remove it.

When I got home last night and resumed troubleshooting, for a brief moment the new SHield showed the "mediadomain"  domain name by the workgroup in that "install from zip"  area, indicating that it was randomly picking up that that domain was there, but as soon as I clicked on it it went away.  So I dont know how it saw it and then lost it.  Could the fact that I am running a domain at my house be my issue?  I dont WANT to run a domain, but my Emby server is on a Windows server essentials 2012 box, and that HAS to be a domain server.  I may just blow that box out and install Windows 10 on it and get back to a normal workgroup network.  But everything has been working up until this point in the domain.  

CBers

Perhaps give your 2 Shields a STATIC ip address, even if they are the same as they get via DHCP.

Mine have and I don't have an issue using either Kodi (Krypton) or the Emby ATV app.

• Like 1

hifiaudio2

So I set a static IP and everything is working now!!!  I cant believe that was the issue.  As soon as I did that, under the aforementioned "install from zip"  settings,  the mediadomain showed up under the SMB setting, and it took me to a screen to "lock"  the username and password.  Now it all works, thanks!

@@bozrdnag  try a static IP if you haven't

Edited by hifiaudio2
  • Like 2

bozrdnag

So I finally gave this a go and everything went great on the my Windows machine.  I enabled Native Playback in the addon, added the correct paths in Emby's Shared Network Folder field and rebuilt the local Kodi db.  When it was complete I tried to play a handful of movie and shows and they all worked.  Great!

Then I try the Kodi box in the living room.  It is running LibreElec and it kept giving me problems.  When starting to rebuild the db the very first movie it came to it said it couldn't find the path (the path was correct except it didn't have the smb prefix).  I can even go to Kodi's file manager and navigate right to it with no problem.  After trying numerous things I finally just let it rebuild the db anyhow.  When it completed I tried a handful of movies and shows and some work and others don't.  The more I play around I notice the ones that won't play are missing the smb prefix in their path and the ones that will play include it.  For example: //192.168.1.42/Movies/300 versus smb://192.168.1.42/Movies/300.

So I go back to the Windows desktop Kodi to see what it's showing for paths on the problem movies.  I open the movie info screen and it shows the path with smb:.  Literally as I'm looking at it, it changes and the smb: disappears.  Try to play the movie and it fails.  I have no idea whats' going on here or how to fix it.  Everything seems setup right but some stuff has the smb: prefix and others don't.  Everything I find that won't play is missing the smb: prefix.

Angelblue05

Very strange. Can you do me a favor? First enable debug in the addon settings > advanced > debug. Then go to your Emby metadata manager for one of the movies with incorrect paths in Kodi and hit save. Wait a few minutes then post your Kodi log please.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Very odd. Look this is from your log, the slashes are inverted at the beginning.:

u'Path': u'//192.168.1.42/Videos/Movies/Blu-Ray/batteries not included (1987)/batteries not included (1987).mkv'
Edited by Angelblue05

bozrdnag

I don't understand what's going on at all.  On my living room box every TV episode I try works and every movie I try fails.  Yet they are mapped the same way

EDIT - I just noticed something - looking up Batteries Not Included in the metadata manager shows the path with the slashes the other way:

30801665770_d5c9d5edfe_b.jpgUntitled2 by rockdawg2232, on Flickr

What I don't understand is why does it even show the 192.168.1.42 path at all?  Shouldn't it be /mnt/Videos/Movies/etc?  I could have sworn that's what they all used to be.

Edited by bozrdnag
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Can you check your emby metadata manager for that same title, is the path like what I posted or does it look correct, with the proper slashes?

Angelblue05

I don't understand what's going on at all.  On my living room box every TV episode I try works and every movie I try fails.  Yet they are mapped the same way

EDIT - I just noticed something - looking up Batteries Not Included in the metadata manager shows the path with the slashes the other way:

30801665770_d5c9d5edfe_b.jpgUntitled2 by rockdawg2232, on Flickr

What I don't understand is why does it even show the 192.168.1.42 path at all?  Shouldn't it be /mnt/Videos/Movies/etc?  I could have sworn that's what they all used to be.

Not when path substitution is applied. The server still uses the internal path, but provides the path substitution everywhere else. Very odd. I suggest you bring this up on the server forums because that's what is causing your issue with Emby for Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1