Can't get Emby for Kodi to direct play

bozrdnag

bozrdnag

I decided to try and set up direct play and I can't get it to work.  I edited my libraries and added my path to the Shared Network Folder field (\\192.168.1.42\Videos\TV Shows for example) and then went in to the Kodi for Emby addon and turned off "Play from HTTP instead of SMB".  BUt I just get an error when I try to play a show in Kodi.  I've attached my log Kodi.

kodi.log

Angelblue05

Are you sure they are applied correctly? What does the path look like in the metadata manager? In the add-on, it returns as mnt/Videos/TV Shows.

bozrdnag

Well maybe I'm doing it wrong then.  I am running Emby Server in a docker container and in the initial setup the network path \\192.168.1.42\ was mapped to mnt.  I thought the Shared Network Folder field should be the full network path.

The metadata shows the path as /mnt/Videos/TV Shows/3rd Rock from the Sun/3rd Rock from the Sun - s01e01 - Brains and Eggs - DVD Rip.mkv

bozrdnag

Well I should correct my last post a bit.  I am actually running the Emby Server docker on the same system as my file server so all the media is local to it.  So it's actually /mnt/user (not \\192.168.1.42) that's mapped to /mnt.

Angelblue05

I dont really know what all of this means :) My server is running windows 10. Well something in your paths subs or redirection is causing the network path not to be applied correctly. Once it reflects a proper network path, content should start playing in Emby for Kodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiaudio2

I am having a similar issue.  Here is a link to my log.  

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23503792/

I have two Nvidia shield units set up.  One can play all movies, and the other has been uninstalled for a long time until today.  I updated all software on the Shield and am running Kodi 16.1 with AZ:FA Dormer  and the latest Emby beta.   I cant get Emby to playback anything on that unit.  THe other one plays back everything fine.  Both are set in Network credentials to be The server name "Nanoxia"  for the path and then the correct administrator login and PW.   When it runs the initial scan it tells me that it doesnt find a certain movie at smb://IP address\media\movies.... etc  and asks if i want to stop syncing.  It will find all of the movies and artwork though,  just wont play anything.

hifiaudio2

The logfile shows a bunch of backslashes in my network paths and I see them set up in Emby as forward slashes...  not sure what is up there....

hifiaudio2

Actually nevermind on that last part... I am on 2.3.19 instead of .09  so I am ahead of what is even listed.  I am getting the "file is no longer available,  do you want to remove it"  message.  Again, my other SHield plays everything fine....  I tried deinstalling and reinstalling Kodi to see if that helped, but it didnt.  I use manual login,  would Emby Connect login help?

Angelblue05

No? Check your paths. Kodi is unable to locate your files with the path provided with Emby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiaudio2

But the paths work to let Kodi on my OTHER Nvidia Shield play them.   Maybe this could have something to do with permissions of the new IP address of the new SHield?  Not sure what to change there though.   THe Emby server is actually on a domain,  if that changes anything.   But again, one Shield works fine and for all I can tell it has the same settings as the one I am trying to set up.

hifiaudio2

Well I tried to create a backup and it tells me that it has an error when creating the back up and to check the log so then I try to check the log and it tells me that the log uploader has an error. This is on the Shield that otherwise works correctly. The log uploader did the same thing a week ago or so before I was given and emby for Kodi Alpha to fix another issue that also let the log uploader start working. Now it seems to not be working again

Edited by hifiaudio2

bozrdnag

Are you sure they are applied correctly? What does the path look like in the metadata manager? In the add-on, it returns as mnt/Videos/TV Shows.

Thinking about this more, whay would that matter?  This feature used to be called Path Substitution and that's what I want to do.  My Emby Server sees the paths like /mnt/Videos/TV Shows but I want the other machines to have the paths be \\192.168.1.42\Videos\TV Shows.  Isn't that exactly what the Shared Network Folder field should do?

Angelblue05

Yes it is, and for some reason it's not being applied. Make sure there's no space in front of the path or something. I'm just telling you, the add-on still sees your path as /mnt/ not \\ipaddress and that's why direct play isn't working according to your Kodi log.

Edit: It's not really my place to help you troubleshoot your server setup. I suggest you post in your server forum thread as I have no idea why the shared network path is not being applied. Once you see it reflected in the metadata manager, then you'll know the add-on can see that path as well.

Edited by Angelblue05

bozrdnag

OK.  Thanks.  One last question... When the path is entered in the Shared Network Folder Field for the server, do I need to reset the db in Emby for Kodi or will it do it automatically?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

If you are using add-on playback (which I believe you are with your logs you posted), then you don't need to do a reset (the paths are retrieved in real time). If you are using native playback, then you'd need to do a reset as the paths to your files are inserted in the Kodi database and they need to be updated.

bozrdnag

If you are using native playback, then you'd need to do a reset as the paths to your files are inserted in the Kodi database and they need to be updated.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do.  Maybe I used the wrong lingo calling it direct play.

Angelblue05

Well I tried to create a backup and it tells me that it has an error when creating the back up and to check the log so then I try to check the log and it tells me that the log uploader has an error. This is on the Shield that otherwise works correctly. The log uploader did the same thing a week ago or so before I was given and emby for Kodi Alpha to fix another issue that also let the log uploader start working. Now it seems to not be working again

So it's something with Shield causing this issue. CBers has the exact same issue with the backup. I have yet to figure out why it's giving trouble, it's a fairly straight forward process which copies the database files and puts them in the backup folder.

Log uploader has nothing to do with the Emby for Kodi add-on. If it's not working, I'm pretty confident in saying it has nothing to do with the Emby add-on. Are you not able to access your shield files in a manual way?

Angelblue05

That is exactly what I'm trying to do.  Maybe I used the wrong lingo calling it direct play.

perhaps. Addon and native playback are both capable of directly playing your file. Addon can also direct play from HTTP and transcode while native cannot because Kodi is fully in charge of playback.

bozrdnag

I do have one more question.  In the plugin I see "Play from HTTP instead of SMB" under Video Playback settings and "Playback Mode" under Sync Options setttings.  Am I correct that I would need to set the first to disabled and the later to Native (Direct Paths)? 

Angelblue05

If you decide to go with Native playback mode, then none of the playback settings have any effect on playback as Kodi is fully in charge then. You are thinking way to complex. :) The native playback mode, the add-on inserts direct paths to your content (network paths from Emby at the time of the import). Make sure your paths are correctly set in Emby prior to resetting your database to change the playback mode in Emby for Kodi. Otherwise if it's not, then you'll need to reset again to fix paths.

our wiki: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-for-kodi-settings

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

bozrdnag

Well my ignorance on the subject probably also explains why I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for all your help. I'll try it again when I get some time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk