Audio Out of Sync

rblu19

blade005

Hi, I certainly don't want to hijack this topic but I'm having what seems to be the same problem so maybe someone can see a common issue.

Everything was working fine until recently the audio and video are way out of sync. For me, what I can tell is that the video is playing at a slower speed than the audio. It only takes a few seconds to tell it's way out of sync until about 15-20 seconds in it's so out of sync that the audio starts skipping.

I swore it was also a problem with my PC as well. I've completely wiped and re-installed Windows 7 to have a fresh install, even went to Windows 10, even upgraded the video card. All settings are default since I've completely wiped the PC - Emby is it's only function so it's the only thing installed (except for Chrome browser).

I've got another PC in the house with the same exact setup that is perfectly fine. I can't figure out why one works and the other doesn't.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 960. Core2Duo 3.16GHz w/ 4GB memory and a ATI Radeon HD 4500 video card (with updated drivers) which I would think should be good enough... mostly since video's play fine in VLC.

Emby Theater 2.5.28

Emby Server 3.0.8500.0

This doesn't get a lot of use so I can't pinpoint when it started, but I believe was a few weeks ago.

I attached a theater log. Hells Kitchen plays like crap and out of sync, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia plays fine.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Seeing quite similar issues since ET 2.5.28 as reported here.  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41187-et-desktop-2528-mpeg2video-synch-issue/&do=findComment&comment=383776

Mine seems to be an issue only with MPEG2VIDEO on a Win10 64-bit machine. Win7 64-bit machine seems to be fine with ET 28 and 29. The fix I had working with 28 is now an issue with 29 on Win10 machine. LAV filters installed with 29 still have synch issue as you reported. 20 seconds in and video is behind audio and gets worse. Replacing with 64-bit LAV filters from github on 29 just gets me a spinning circle on any video type I attempt to play. 32-Bit github LAV filters play, but they have the same synch issue. No AVR pass thru here. Just straight PC audio. All other Emby apps play just fine. Only ET Desktop exhibits this behavior.

casminkey

For what it's worth, I ended up piecing together another machine. It's about half the specs as the one having the problem but playing everything fine. Must have been something up with that machine as previously suggested, at least in my case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

blade005

For what it's worth, I ended up piecing together another machine. It's about half the specs as the one having the problem but playing everything fine. Must have been something up with that machine as previously suggested, at least in my case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Glad you got a system up and going.

I think this audio sync issue has something to do with how Emby Theater Player and the LAV filters interact since update to 2.5.28 and .29

I have a HTPC system that has both Win7 and Win10 installed. A clean install of ET 2.5.29 on Win7 and setting the Video Renderer to EVR provides a playback of MPEG2VIDEO without any issues. The same clean install of ET 2.5.29 on Win10 on the same machine and I can't find a combination of settings that will play MPEG2VIDEO without audio synch issue. The same Win10 machine on ET 2.5.27 and Video Renderer set to EVR played MPEG2VIDEO just fine.

I increased the stream analysis duration in .29. In general I would not suggest altering the bundled components.

Glad you got a system up and going.

I think this audio sync issue has something to do with how Emby Theater Player and the LAV filters interact since update to 2.5.28 and .29

I have a HTPC system that has both Win7 and Win10 installed. A clean install of ET 2.5.29 on Win7 and setting the Video Renderer to EVR provides a playback of MPEG2VIDEO without any issues. The same clean install of ET 2.5.29 on Win10 on the same machine and I can't find a combination of settings that will play MPEG2VIDEO without audio synch issue. The same Win10 machine on ET 2.5.27 and Video Renderer set to EVR played MPEG2VIDEO just fine.

Ok, I reinstalled the server, and it started working again. My suspicion had been correct - if using EVR+, in general it works (well, occasionally there would be a hiccup that would lead me back to here, but generally 99% is not only good enough, it's probably better than I had any right to except on those specs), when I started this thread EVR+ wasn't working at all, and I was using EVR (madvr gave unusable lag, I think I remember finding out from a previous problem that my pc just isn't strong enough to handle it).

The problem now is that EVR+ stopped working again. When I try to play a movie with EVR+ now (it worked until I started installing plugins again), it does the same thing it did when this thread was started (screenshot attached), which holds at that screen until I exit out of the film, which was why I switched to EVR.

To sum it all up, while I never make any absolute promises on anything, if I can get EVR+ working again, I'm reasonably certain that'll fix my problem. I just have no idea what changed (I uninstalled all of the plugins, so if it was a conflict there it should have been fixed).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them (also, on a different note, is there some way to backup watched status, special feature descriptions, that sort of thing? I reinstall server when I have to, but reentering all of that can be a bit of a pain).

Also, since operating systems were brought up, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, for whatever that's worth.

post-2105-0-83589600-1479087196_thumb.png

Guest asrequested

Ok, I reinstalled the server, and it started working again. My suspicion had been correct - if using EVR+, in general it works (well, occasionally there would be a hiccup that would lead me back to here, but generally 99% is not only good enough, it's probably better than I had any right to except on those specs), when I started this thread EVR+ wasn't working at all, and I was using EVR (madvr gave unusable lag, I think I remember finding out from a previous problem that my pc just isn't strong enough to handle it).

The problem now is that EVR+ stopped working again. When I try to play a movie with EVR+ now (it worked until I started installing plugins again), it does the same thing it did when this thread was started (screenshot attached), which holds at that screen until I exit out of the film, which was why I switched to EVR.

To sum it all up, while I never make any absolute promises on anything, if I can get EVR+ working again, I'm reasonably certain that'll fix my problem. I just have no idea what changed (I uninstalled all of the plugins, so if it was a conflict there it should have been fixed).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them (also, on a different note, is there some way to backup watched status, special feature descriptions, that sort of thing? I reinstall server when I have to, but reentering all of that can be a bit of a pain).

Also, since operating systems were brought up, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, for whatever that's worth.

The only way the server would affect playback is if its transcoding or direct streaming. 

As for your plugins and screenshot, do you have cinema mode enabled in ET? 

A sample file would also really help, here. 

blade005

I increased the stream analysis duration in .29. In general I would not suggest altering the bundled components.

Luke,

No desire to alter bundle. Only worked with 28. 29 does not work with LAV filters that did work in 28. Clean install of 29 with bundled LAV and audio synch is off with MPEG2VIDEO (Higher Bitrate) files. Just can't find a setting combo to settle it down.

The only way the server would affect playback is if its transcoding or direct streaming. 

As for your plugins and screenshot, do you have cinema mode enabled in ET? 

A sample file would also really help, here. 

Ok, how would I capture this sample, or is it just a bit of raw video file?

Really, the problem is pretty much now a bit of video lag at this point, just enough to be too noticeable, it's pretty much settled at video following audio. As I've said before, it's probably just that my computer is too underpowered to play it without any sort of compensation (e.g. a video processing setting or something of that nature), but that the problem comes down to that compensation has ceased to work, while it used to in the past.

Guest asrequested

How big is the file, huge? You need software like VideRedo to slice off a piece. I'd like a piece just to rule out a few things. If the file direct plays, your computer doesn't require much power to play it, but if it's direct streaming, that could be an issue.

I also want to dig into its properties, and check a few things.

Edited by Doofus

How would I tell if it's direct play or direct streaming? (And what steps might I do to change it to direct play if it is streaming? It's worked in the past, so if it is currently streaming that may be the issue).

Guest asrequested

How would I tell if it's direct play or direct streaming? (And what steps might I do to change it to direct play if it is streaming? It's worked in the past, so if it is currently streaming that may be the issue).

The easiest way is play something and look in the dashboard. It'll either say Direct play, Direct stream or transcoding. But this may also be a container muxing issue. I've had some files that have a issues like this, that when I remuxed them, it's fixed it. And because you're transcoding your audio to flac, I'm not sure if that is either directly or indirectly causing an issue. That's why I asked for a sample.

582a686ecb159_Snapshot_356.jpg     582a68ad4e803_Snapshot_217.jpg   582a690340090_Snapshot_214.jpg

Guest asrequested

Fair enough. Before and after samples, or would flac only do the trick?

And it does look like it's direct play.

If it's direct playing, then it could be your receiver, the file container/muxing or GPU/hardware glitch. If you can't share a sample, and you're confident enough, you could try using reclock. If it were me, I'd test remuxing it, first. You can use mkvtoolnix

Guest asrequested

Fair enough. Before and after samples, or would flac only do the trick?

And it does look like it's direct play.

If you can share a sample, a large enough section (to reproduce the error) of any file this happens with would be good.

Well, I feel like an idiot. It turns out that the display resolution got screwed somehow. My projector is 1080p, my tv is 720p, the resolution usually switches depending on which display I'm using but for some reason got stuck on 1080p, even on the tv. Changing the resolution to 720p fixed everything, and it even switched back to 1080p when I switched to the projector (and back to 720p when I used the tv). So yeah, hardware glitch turned out to be it. I apologize for getting everyone to spend so much time on such a simple matter, but thank you for it all the same.

Guest asrequested

Well, I feel like an idiot. It turns out that the display resolution got screwed somehow. My projector is 1080p, my tv is 720p, the resolution usually switches depending on which display I'm using but for some reason got stuck on 1080p, even on the tv. Changing the resolution to 720p fixed everything, and it even switched back to 1080p when I switched to the projector (and back to 720p when I used the tv). So yeah, hardware glitch turned out to be it. I apologize for getting everyone to spend so much time on such a simple matter, but thank you for it all the same.

No need to apologize, I kinda like helping with ET (where I can)  :) As Luke said, well done!

• 5 months later...
casminkey

Thanks, i saw a thread today how it improves video performance. I think the issue I reported in this topic was completely local to the machine. I replaced it and has been fine ever since.

Excited to see the improvements, especially with Live TV - which I understand isn't addressed yet, but on the list. Looking forward to testing it out  :)