Audio Out of Sync

rblu19

In the last few days, the audio on my movies stopped being in sync, at least on the high definition ones (the standard def ones seem fine). I'd change settings to see if it changes anything, but through all of that trial and error if the audio wasn't a second fast it was a second slow.

Logs from a movie test attached (I know it's probably all server, but I figured I'd add theater just in case it adds anything). I know it's probably something simple (it always is), but I can't seem to find it on my own.

Thank you for your help.

Server - ver. 3.1.214.0 beta
Theater - ver. 2.5.28

server-63614342526.txt

theater-63614391135.txt

Sorry it's taking so long, it's been a long day. For the record, while I've played around with the settings a bit (to no avail), when the problem started I was still using settings I had been using for awhile.

I gave the test one more shot, and in addition to the settings screenshots, logs of the test are also attached, for whatever they may be worth.

post-2105-0-33761800-1478931720_thumb.png

post-2105-0-77049000-1478931731_thumb.png

server-63614501887.txt

theater-63614504517.txt

Yes. The pc connects to the monitor through the avr. I mean, I'm open to the idea that my pc isn't fast enough (I'm running this on a nettop, and the movies used for the test are Blu-ray rips), but if that's the case there has to be some combination of settings that overcomes that obstacle, because I've been playing them fine for years.

Guest asrequested

Yes. The pc connects to the monitor through the avr. I mean, I'm open to the idea that my pc isn't fast enough (I'm running this on a nettop, and the movies used for the test are Blu-ray rips), but if that's the case there has to be some combination of settings that overcomes that obstacle, because I've been playing them fine for years.

When you say 'nettop', do you mean a netbook? And are the movies folder rips or transcoded?

Nettop is to desktop what netbook is to laptop. Folders are straight rips, makemkv, convert to flac (untouched blu-ray audio never worked with theater on my setup, converting to flac has done the trick since 2013), and add to library.

Like I said, before this problem, all of those rips played perfectly. I got a clean install of theater, if that's something that's going to be suggested. No luck, unfortunately. Some movies seem to work at least part of the time, so like I said I'm sure the main problem is that my pc is too slow. Like I also said, though, it worked in the past, so I figured I'd try my luck here to see if anyone can figure out what changed.

Guest asrequested

So you aren't able to play the original audio? It would help if you could give more detail on what will and won't play, the circumstances and what exactly happens. Possibly share a sample?

casminkey

Hi, I certainly don't want to hijack this topic but I'm having what seems to be the same problem so maybe someone can see a common issue.

Everything was working fine until recently the audio and video are way out of sync. For me, what I can tell is that the video is playing at a slower speed than the audio. It only takes a few seconds to tell it's way out of sync until about 15-20 seconds in it's so out of sync that the audio starts skipping.

I swore it was also a problem with my PC as well. I've completely wiped and re-installed Windows 7 to have a fresh install, even went to Windows 10, even upgraded the video card. All settings are default since I've completely wiped the PC - Emby is it's only function so it's the only thing installed (except for Chrome browser).

I've got another PC in the house with the same exact setup that is perfectly fine. I can't figure out why one works and the other doesn't.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 960. Core2Duo 3.16GHz w/ 4GB memory and a ATI Radeon HD 4500 video card (with updated drivers) which I would think should be good enough... mostly since video's play fine in VLC.

Emby Theater 2.5.28

Emby Server 3.0.8500.0

This doesn't get a lot of use so I can't pinpoint when it started, but I believe was a few weeks ago.

I attached a theater log. Hells Kitchen plays like crap and out of sync, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia plays fine.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

theater-63614559286.txt

Guest asrequested

Hi, I certainly don't want to hijack this topic but I'm having what seems to be the same problem so maybe someone can see a common issue.

Everything was working fine until recently the audio and video are way out of sync. For me, what I can tell is that the video is playing at a slower speed than the audio. It only takes a few seconds to tell it's way out of sync until about 15-20 seconds in it's so out of sync that the audio starts skipping.

I swore it was also a problem with my PC as well. I've completely wiped and re-installed Windows 7 to have a fresh install, even went to Windows 10, even upgraded the video card. All settings are default since I've completely wiped the PC - Emby is it's only function so it's the only thing installed (except for Chrome browser).

I've got another PC in the house with the same exact setup that is perfectly fine. I can't figure out why one works and the other doesn't.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 960. Core2Duo 3.16GHz w/ 4GB memory and a ATI Radeon HD 4500 video card (with updated drivers) which I would think should be good enough... mostly since video's play fine in VLC.

Emby Theater 2.5.28

Emby Server 3.0.8500.0

This doesn't get a lot of use so I can't pinpoint when it started, but I believe was a few weeks ago.

I attached a theater log. Hells Kitchen plays like crap and out of sync, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia plays fine.

Nothing stands out in the log. If the files play well in one machine and not the other, that would imply that there's an issue with that machine. What refresh rates do you have each computer set to in the GPU driver settings?

casminkey

Oddly enough this was somehow set to 29Hz... but when i changed to 59 and 60Hz, no change.

On the PC that's working fine, it's set to 60Hz, for what it's worth.

Is there a way to test to see if an update to Emby Theather has any effect? Can I get an older version to install from somewhere to test? As mentioned, this started a few weeks ago i believe.

casminkey

Nothing stands out in the log. If the files play well in one machine and not the other, that would imply that there's an issue with that machine. What refresh rates do you have each computer set to in the GPU driver settings?

I would agree for the most part. But why would the file play fine in VLC but not in Emby Theater?

The one difference this machine has to the one playing everything fine is that this one is connected to a receiver before hitting the TV, which sounds a lot like the original posters setup. Which also started thinking there was an issue with the HDMI pass through on the receiver... but again, plays fine in VLC.

I will see if I can go directly to the TV and take the receiver out of the mix for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Well, If you wanted to try, you can delete the LAV filters, download LAV from here and replace what you deleted. But there maybe a hardware issue in your computer, that is causing the GPU to drop frames, or something like that. If you use the MadVR filter, open the settings from the tray icon, uncheck the box in the picture below and press ctrl + j. You can look and see if it's dropping or repeating frames.

5827b4b05e949_Snapshot_355.jpg

casminkey

Well, If you wanted to try, you can delete the LAV filters, download LAV from here and replace what you deleted. But there maybe a hardware issue in your computer, that is causing the GPU to drop frames, or something like that. If you use the MadVR filter, open the settings from the tray icon, uncheck the box in the picture below and press ctrl + j. You can look and see if it's dropping or repeating frames.

5827b4b05e949_Snapshot_355.jpg

Stupid Question... are the LAV filters required? For the most part, I usually only install Emby Theater. No codecs packs or anything. At some point today I did install some codec pack, not sure which one, so maybe I do have them now. But generally Emby Theater and Chrome browser is literally the only thing installed.

Guest asrequested

Also, I'm not sure if this will have any effect, but in the directshowplayer.xml file, use this value.

<NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>1700</NetworkStreamAnalysisDuration>

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Stupid Question... are the LAV filters required? For the most part, I usually only install Emby Theater. No codecs packs or anything. At some point today I did install some codec pack, not sure which one, so maybe I do have them now. But generally Emby Theater and Chrome browser is literally the only thing installed.

LAV is installed as part of ET. Nothing will play if it isn't there

I would agree for the most part. But why would the file play fine in VLC but not in Emby Theater?

The one difference this machine has to the one playing everything fine is that this one is connected to a receiver before hitting the TV, which sounds a lot like the original posters setup. Which also started thinking there was an issue with the HDMI pass through on the receiver... but again, plays fine in VLC.

I will see if I can go directly to the TV and take the receiver out of the mix for now.

If VLC plays correctly but not Emby Theater, in my experience it's usually been something to do with a setting somewhere being different - one using some sort of hardware acceleration that the other doesn't that sort of thing.

Emby Theater 2.5.28

Emby Server 3.0.8500.0

Welcome to the thread, casminkey. I'm not entirely sure the fix will be the same, my tv seems to play fine so I'm not sure this thread is applicable to your situation.
The examples I'm talking about are Blu-ray rips with audio converted by makemkv to flac (because DTS-HD MA just played as dvd quality dts and Dolby TrueHD didn't play at all).

Now, since my computer is a nettop it's probably occuring to at least one person reading this thread that my computer may just not be powerful enough on its own to play those rips, especially since the problem is only present on lossless audio, full 1080p with a lossy soundtrack works fine, and you may be right. But with certain setting changes I've always been able to play a full Blu-ray rip with lossless audio fine, and my purpose for this thread was to see if anyone could figure out which changes might those be this time.

On another note, EVR+ isn't working for me either, and I remember EVR+ being the main one I used for awhile for some reason, a period of time where everything was definitely in sync). When I try to start a movie with EVR+, it loads to the overlay (progress bar and such on bottom) and a black screen where the movie should be, and then after about a second it boots me back to the info screen (basically the same as If I had pressed stop, if that makes any sense).

Now, I've run another test and included the server and theater logs from it, hopefully that should shed some light on the subject. I used two movies, 'The Alphabet Killer' and 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' - the former having a Dolby Digital 5.1 track, with the latter having a FLAC 7.1 track (FLAC 5.1 also has trouble, in case the 7.1 jumps to anyone's mind as a culprit).

Started up Alphabet Killer, skipped around a bit to make sure everything was in sync, watched a full conversation to make sure everything stayed in sync throughout the course of a scene, it did.

Then I started up Batman v Superman. Did the same thing, skipped around a bit, ended up on Bruce exiting his car to the party (the part where Clark asks who that is - it hasn't always been off, but it's been off enough to be a good test moment for me, plus since both clark and the guy behind him are on camera for their entire exchange, the fact that Clark's audio starts before we cut to him is always a good benchmark to check for). Also checked a bit on the hearing scene, which is another consistant trouble scene (any scene can be and has been a trouble scene, these are just the ones I keep reverting to). The Senator's speech starts in synch, but eventually (usually about the time she stops to look at the jar), the audio starts to drift a bit, and when she starts back up, her mouth is about a word or two behind the audio.

I should also note, to rule out other programs as culprits as much as possible, Batman v Superman was fully in sync the entire way through when I initially loaded it on the computer back in July. It is the exact same file, FLAC and all.

server-63614559845.txt

theater-63614566105.txt

Guest asrequested

If VLC plays correctly but not Emby Theater, in my experience it's usually been something to do with a setting somewhere being different - one using some sort of hardware acceleration that the other doesn't that sort of thing.

Welcome to the thread, casminkey. I'm not entirely sure the fix will be the same, my tv seems to play fine so I'm not sure this thread is applicable to your situation.
The examples I'm talking about are Blu-ray rips with audio converted by makemkv to flac (because DTS-HD MA just played as dvd quality dts and Dolby TrueHD didn't play at all).

Now, since my computer is a nettop it's probably occuring to at least one person reading this thread that my computer may just not be powerful enough on its own to play those rips, especially since the problem is only present on lossless audio, full 1080p with a lossy soundtrack works fine, and you may be right. But with certain setting changes I've always been able to play a full Blu-ray rip with lossless audio fine, and my purpose for this thread was to see if anyone could figure out which changes might those be this time.

On another note, EVR+ isn't working for me either, and I remember EVR+ being the main one I used for awhile for some reason, a period of time where everything was definitely in sync). When I try to start a movie with EVR+, it loads to the overlay (progress bar and such on bottom) and a black screen where the movie should be, and then after about a second it boots me back to the info screen (basically the same as If I had pressed stop, if that makes any sense).

Now, I've run another test and included the server and theater logs from it, hopefully that should shed some light on the subject. I used two movies, 'The Alphabet Killer' and 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' - the former having a Dolby Digital 5.1 track, with the latter having a FLAC 7.1 track (FLAC 5.1 also has trouble, in case the 7.1 jumps to anyone's mind as a culprit).

Started up Alphabet Killer, skipped around a bit to make sure everything was in sync, watched a full conversation to make sure everything stayed in sync throughout the course of a scene, it did.

Then I started up Batman v Superman. Did the same thing, skipped around a bit, ended up on Bruce exiting his car to the party (the part where Clark asks who that is - it hasn't always been off, but it's been off enough to be a good test moment for me, plus since both clark and the guy behind him are on camera for their entire exchange, the fact that Clark's audio starts before we cut to him is always a good benchmark to check for). Also checked a bit on the hearing scene, which is another consistant trouble scene (any scene can be and has been a trouble scene, these are just the ones I keep reverting to). The Senator's speech starts in synch, but eventually (usually about the time she stops to look at the jar), the audio starts to drift a bit, and when she starts back up, her mouth is about a word or two behind the audio.

I should also note, to rule out other programs as culprits as much as possible, Batman v Superman was fully in sync the entire way through when I initially loaded it on the computer back in July. It is the exact same file, FLAC and all.

Well, if the file is direct playing, your nettop shouldn't have an issue. But as you've converted the audio, I'm wondering if the server is transcoding if for playback. Are there any transcode logs? Looking at the log, the server may be remuxing (direct streaming). 

Edited by Doofus

I thought the same thing too, that was a problem I had in the past (I think part of the reason for EVR+ being my main is that it had some role in fixing it). No transcode log, though - prior to running my test I cleared out both log folders, the server log I added was the entirety of my server folder from a minute before starting my test until and slightly after the ending of said test. No transcode log to speak of. As I said earlier, Emby Theater played FLAC perfectly (and without any transcoding, I might add) before the problem, so I'm curious what might have changed.

Guest asrequested

I thought the same thing too, that was a problem I had in the past (I think part of the reason for EVR+ being my main is that it had some role in fixing it). No transcode log, though - prior to running my test I cleared out both log folders, the server log I added was the entirety of my server folder from a minute before starting my test until and slightly after the ending of said test. No transcode log to speak of. As I said earlier, Emby Theater played FLAC perfectly (and without any transcoding, I might add) before the problem, so I'm curious what might have changed.

OK, so I'd like to get my hands on a sample.