Server now very slow

bozrdnag

bozrdnag

I'vs had Emby Server running in a Docker container for months and everything was fine.  The other day I accidentally deleted all the config folders (/cache, /config, /data, etc.) while Emby was running.  I quickly realized what I had down and restarted Emby Server.  As expected, I was greeted with the set up wizard.  So I begrudgingly went through and set everything back up.  Libraries, Users, Settings, Plugins, everything.  My problem is that ever since then the performance has been miserably slow.  While scanning in my media, the WebGUI response was horrible.  I would click on something and I would get the spinning circle for 20-30 seconds before the next page would start to load.  Once the media scan was complete, the WebGUI and everything is still slow.  I tried doing a People scan and that ran for to two days before I cancelled it.  Over the last 24 hours it only progressed 0.02%.

I normally use Emby for Kodi and watch my media locally via Kodi.  Over half the time I try to play something it times out trying to start the video.  If I keep trying it will eventually play but the next video will do the same things.  Everything is just slow.  I've rebooted the server and Emby Server numerous times and it hasn't helped.  What the heck is going on and how can I correct this?

I have attached a log after a restart and me just going from home to movies and stuff with it taking a long time to load each screen.

EDIT:  Log now attahced.

server-63614311121.txt

Edited by bozrdnag

Hi, we're sorry about this. Did you forget to attach the log?

While you wait for us to review the log, a good thing to try is removing all plugins and seeing if the issue persists with just the core server.

bozrdnag

I set up an entirely new container with a fresh install of 3.0.8500.0 with no plugins.  I scanned in all my media last night and I started it refreshing People (BTW, why doesn't it get that info on a library scan?  Why the need to do it separately?).  While refreshing People the WebGUi is very slow to respond.  For example, if I am at the Home page and click on Movies it takes 1:18 for all the Resume and Latest titles and artwork to appear.  From there, when I click on the Movies tab at the top it takes 1:53 for the first 100 movies to appear.  If I stop the People refresh things become responsive like I would expect.  Performance is similar if there is a Library Scan going on instead of a People refresh.  Also, it has been doing a People refresh for over 12 hours and is only 9.3% complete this is with ~1500 movies and 91 Series.

I am running this on an Unraid server with a Xeon 8 core processor with 32GB of RAM.  I do have a few other containers running also like NZBGet and Sonarr but with everything running (including Emby during the People refresh), Unraid is reporting 3% avg CPU load and hovering at about 12-15% RAM usage.  So I really don't see this being a hardware issue.

I've attached a log.

server-63614332800.txt

Edited by bozrdnag

we do get people information during the library scan but that is limited to names and images. if you want biographies and other information then that's what comes during the people refresh operation. if you don't care about that then you can always disable the task altogether.

bozrdnag

I finally decided to cancel the People refresh after 13+ hours and that didn't not improve the slowness this time.  I tried navigating to multiple different views and all were very slow.  So I restarted the container and all is good again.  I really don't get what is going on here.  I've never noticed performance like this before.  It all started when I accidentally nuked the data files for my original Emby Server container.  The only other difference was that when I nuked it I was running 3.0.8300.0 not 3.0.8400.0 or 3.0.8500.0.  Could it be an issue that was introduced with one of those builds?

Edited by bozrdnag

yes it's because you nuked the database. it's mostly a one-time operation and then subsequent runs are very fast.

I didn't get any images.  That's why I was doing the refresh.

How did you determine that you didn't get any images?

Also for the next release the people refresh will be much faster and lighter. Until then you can either disable it or just get through it.

bozrdnag

How did you determine that you didn't get any images?

When I go into a movie there are no photos for any of the cast.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bozrdnag

Also for the next release the people refresh will be much faster and lighter. Until then you can either disable it or just get through it.

My problem isn't just with People refresh. Everything is just slow sometimes. The initial library scan seemed somewhat normal at around 7 hours. But I tried one again last night after adding a couple of movies and it ran for over 13 hours before I cancelled it and it was only at 38%. I also ran a Clean Library which only used to take a minute or two. It took 2 and a half hours to complete.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Based on your logs it seems the people refresh is affecting the rest of the server so I think you'll see a difference. Also, the clean database operation will generally not have much work to do, so most of the time will be very quick.

bozrdnag

One more point.  I just enabled Collections for movies and it seems like it is building them.  Now everything is slow.  WebGUi and Roku both really slow loading any content or images.  It's like whenever there is a process running the system slows way down.  Shouldn't they be more like background processes that don't affect the overall performance very much?

I would suggest removing all plugins again until this is fully resolved, except for the backup plugin at least.

I notice your log has playback activity. Does this occur without playing anything, and if so, can you provide a log of that session? thanks.

bozrdnag

Yes.  If the server is doing nothing navigation is really snappy.  It seems like if the server is doing anything at all it starts slowing down and it seems like the longer it goes on the slower it gets.  Here is a log after a reboot.  With nothing happening on the server navigating to different areas is almost instantaneous.  I then started a library scan and it now takes 14.5 seconds for the Movies node of the Movies section to load.  Navigating to other areas is till pretty fast but I predict they all get slower as the scan goes on.  

server-63614486266.txt

Edited by bozrdnag