Multiple hosts + "roaming"

kphil80

Hello Emby team and community,

I saw a lot of people here who are trying to search a workaround for syncing emby servers.

Let me describe a concept like I would implement this and maybe will do in a private fork.

Maybe this could be a feature for the premium users if you decide to develop this.

Every Emby server has a field in the settings in which you can optionally enter a master emby instance by ip:port plus emby-connect authentication.

With this option there is no hard conflict managing required, because always the master of this instance is the one who is in the right.

Another way to do this would be to set a master in emby-connect for a group of instances. 

I saw there is already a plugin for saving and restoring the server configuration... so this part shouldn't be hard to implement. The basics are there.

For the mediafiles there is the option to use the CloudSync or FolderSync plugin.. so there are the basics done too. 

Or am I wrong?

Now the cool resulting feature of this...the "roaming". This feature should be implemented in the clients.

If the client find's one instance from his emby-connect binded server mesh in the local network it should choose this one to get the media.

If not the app should provide the media from a remote server.

This scenario is great if you have a dedicated server hosted by a company and want to achieve all emby functions are available in the lan. (dlna)

Another big deal is that all data is available "offline" when you lose your internet connection because of reason. Plus you have a second backup of all. (But this is not really a benefit because you can sync your database with CloudSync or FolderSync)

Best regards,

Phil