Is there a trick or something I'm missing to getting the server to work?

gman326

Sorry for the delay, but I was on vacation and just returned.

Just for testing purposes, try disabling Windows Firewall altogether or any other firewall software (some antivirus include firewall) that you might have on the server to discard that the Firewall isn't the problem, if you have another PC laying around like a laptop try accessing to your server from the Windows Explorer in the other PC using the IP address of your server adding "\\" to the address i.e "\\192.168.1.254" this should display any folder shared from your server.

Thank you.  As I thought I mentioned, I tried disabling the firewall and it didn't help.  I also have WIndows Defender as my only anti-virus, but there are no exclusions in settings. 

Its definitely not a EMBY issue, from everything that is described its a Firewall or basic network connectivity issue

Thank you.  As mentioned, disabling my firewall didn't help and Plex works perfectly with my current network setup.

I'm having a hard time tracking what your network looks like. The 2nd router you turned into a simple access point. Is it in bridge mode? Or is it just extending your network?

If it is in bridge mode, then ping it from the router connected to your modem. If you get a response, then ping the machine the Emby server is on.

Emby is not likely the problem.

Thank you.  I'm not sure how to tell.  It says Operation Mode Access Point in the router settings and I can't access most of the advanced settings within the router.

That was my thinking, is everything on the same network?  Is everything on the LAN in the same IP space?

Thank you.  Everything appears to be on the same network, but I can't access Emby from my tablet or NVIDIA Shield TV on the same wi-fi network or anywhere outside my network using my work laptop or my phone on 4G.  I'm not sure what you mean since I'm not a network pro by any means, but my In-Home and Remote access IPs are different.  My In-Home IP starts with 192 and Remote access IP starts with 173. 

I would keep windows firewall enabled but check to see if there might be any rules blocking mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe

When you try to access from another device in your network, how exactly are you testing?

I would keep windows firewall enabled but check to see if there might be any rules blocking mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe

When you try to access from another device in your network, how exactly are you testing?

Thank you!  There are definitely no rules blocking the server.  There are two incoming rules that allow it and I tried private and public connections and private alone and still nothing.

I am testing through the Android app and through Chrome and the regular browser on my Samsung S7 Edge and Tab S2,  I also tried Emby Connect and manually entering both IP addresses with no luck.

BTW I also uninstalled Emby, removed all traces and even deleted the firewall rules (including my port 80 rules) and registry entries, ran CCleaner and rebooted and still nothing.   

Edited by gman326

moviefan

Okay here is what I would do...

- Put firewall back to disabled and keep it that way until you get connected.  At that point you can re-enable to add security if you wish.

- Please post a screenshot of your dashboard where it says "Running on port..."

- Open a command prompt on the server and run the command netstat -an.  Make sure the port you are expecting is listed in a state of "listening".  Take a screenshot and post back.

- Open a command prompt on a remote system and type the command telnet ip_addr port, replacing ip_addr and port with the ip address and port of  your server.   For example, if you have a server running at ip address of 192.168.1.100 running on the default port of 8096 type the command telnet 192.168.1.100 8096.  Please let us know what happens.

Also, it is unclear to me after reading over this thread if you have tried connecting to the web interface remotely via another computer or just via nVidia Shield.  Can you please confirm?  If you have not, please try.

• Like 1

Okay here is what I would do...

- Put firewall back to disabled and keep it that way until you get connected.  At that point you can re-enable to add security if you wish.

- Please post a screenshot of your dashboard where it says "Running on port..."

- Open a command prompt on the server and run the command netstat -an.  Make sure the port you are expecting is listed in a state of "listening".  Take a screenshot and post back.

- Open a command prompt on a remote system and type the command telnet ip_addr port, replacing ip_addr and port with the ip address and port of  your server.   For example, if you have a server running at ip address of 192.168.1.100 running on the default port of 8096 type the command telnet 192.168.1.100 8096.  Please let us know what happens.

Also, it is unclear to me after reading over this thread if you have tried connecting to the web interface remotely via another computer or just via nVidia Shield.  Can you please confirm?  If you have not, please try.

Thank you!  See attached dashboard screenshot.  

The In-home port shown does not appear to be listed anywhere in the netstat -an output, HOWEVER I was able to find an 8096 port that was established, used it and I can access the server from inside my network and from Kodi.   :D  B)   THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Now the million dollar question is how do I find my remote access port since the ports on my dashboard don't seem to work? :)

post-165529-0-48427800-1478870784_thumb.png

Now the million dollar question is how do I find my remote access port since the ports on my dashboard don't seem to work? :)

8096 is our default port and is what is shown in your screen shot...

8096 is our default port and is what is shown in your screen shot...

Thanks, I'm aware of that, but neither port on my dashboard works and I can't access my "In-home" port that I found above from my phone on 4G.  In other words, my In-home port on the dashboard and the port that actually works starts with 192, but my Remote access port starts with 173, but none of them work remotely.

moviefan

So the problem here is then router configuration.  It sounds like everything is working okay in your home.  4G is not in considered "in-home" even though you may be physically there.  You are still connected to a separate physical network that is outside of your home.  Have you tried in-home WiFi for your phone?  This should probably work.

For external remote access you need to setup your router to forward port 8096 to that 192.168 IP address.

What type of router do you have?

Edited by moviefan

I would suggest that the In-Home Access be changed to"  "LAN Access"  as other users who do not understand networking will think that because they are sitting in their home using there phone or tablet on 4G would still be considered "In-Home"

Remote Access could be changed to "WAN Access" to be consistent

I would suggest that the In-Home Access be changed to"  "LAN Access"  as other users who do not understand networking will think that because they are sitting in their home using there phone or tablet on 4G would still be considered "In-Home"

Remote Access could be changed to "WAN Access" to be consistent

Yes that is a good idea.

Not sure I agree.  If someone doesn't understand the difference between being on their local network on the phone in their house vs the cell network, then they are likely to not understand LAN and WAN either. 

Yea I thought about it more and there was a reason why I used those friendlier terms in the first place. Maybe we could find a way to combine then, like "In-Home (LAN)".

Yea I thought about it more and there was a reason why I used those friendlier terms in the first place. Maybe we could find a way to combine then, like "In-Home (LAN)".

Yeah, I think that kills both birds :).

Guest asrequested

Perhaps "Your Wi-Fi/internet" may be better? Wi-Fi seems to be the common term that people understand. Even when it's a wired connection, I've heard people call it Wi-Fi.

Edited by Doofus

I just think In-Home to be misleading, as you could be sitting in your living room, and not realize that your wifi is turned off on your tablet and connected with 4G and get frustrated that its not working.

LAN and WAN are pretty universal terms for Local Area Network and Wide Area Network

Combing them with what you have now, or simply add a mouse over pop up balloon or large description for each one would solve the issue as well.

I find it amusing what this thread has turned into due to my issue. :lol:   Although I'm admittedly a network/IP n00b, I've always known that if I'm not on wi-fi on my phone, I should be connecting to my remote access port via 4G.   B) I was just trying anything and everything.  My main problem was remote access from any device, which now seems to work sporadically.  On the positive side, I tend to use Emby much more for Kodi purposes from home, so I might survive.  

moviefan

My main problem was remote access from any device, which now seems to work sporadically.

If you can provide more detail on setup/configurations that do work versus don't, we might be able to help point you in the right direction.

Are there certain devices that do work?  Or do devices just work sometimes and not other times?

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 1