Is there a trick or something I'm missing to getting the server to work?

gman326

Trust me, I tried each and every connectivity suggestion in the wiki  (e.g., open port 8096 in my firewall and port forwarding etc.) and I can't access my Emby server internally or externally (except for on my Windows 10 server desktop itself).

Emby (and Plex) worked well for me for quite a while, but then I moved.  Now in my new place, I have 4 floors, so I have two routers (one FiOS ONT in the garage on the first floor and one Netgear on the 4th floor and I have perfect wi-fi and ethernet coverage) and I know I had a double NAT issue, but I resolved that by resetting the Netgear router as a proper access point.  Once I did that, my Plex issues went away immediately, but I've never been able to access Emby internally or externally.   :(

I also tried uninstalling and deleting everything from my Emby Server (except for the movies of course) a couple times and started fresh, but it still doesn't work.  I loved Emby when it worked, if I could only get it to work properly with my Kodi setup again.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Logos302

Well the first question I have is does the web client work? if not no point in trying to get kodi to work :).  You said you opened the firewall, just for clarification are you talking about the router or the windows firewall (IF the windows firewall is on, try disabling it).  OR if you have a third party firewall again try disabling that.  

As for Kodi once the web client works kodi should also then start working as they use the same port if I remember correctly.  

Thank you. The web client works fine as far as scraping movie and music information and I can access everything on the server desktop fine, I just can't access the server on my phone, tablet, laptop, work laptop etc.

BTW I was referring to both router and Windows firewall and I tried with no firewall with no success.

Edited by gman326

Logos302

Ok have you tried Emby Theater?  I don't know kodi that well but I always found it to be a pain.  (I'm not suggesting you switch just as a test to narrow down where the problem is).  The other thing that might help is a log file from kodi and emby server at the same time to see if the connection is being made.

this might help as well https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Edited by Logos302

Happy2Play

So are you saying you can only using the local server machine?  If so then the machine is blocking all other access.

Ok have you tried Emby Theater?  I don't know kodi that well but I always found it to be a pain.  (I'm not suggesting you switch just as a test to narrow down where the problem is).  The other thing that might help is a log file from kodi and emby server at the same time to see if the connection is being made.

this might help as well https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

I never tried Emby Theater until last night, but unfortunately it doesn't appear that it can be installed on my NVIDIA Shield TV.

There is no connection being made at all between Kodi on the Shield TV and server on my desktop, the Emby server actually never gets recognized from Kodi, so I'm not sure of the point of the two logs.  Although I'm willing to try anything if people think it will work.

FYI that was the Connectivity wiki I was referring to in the OP.

Thanks again!

So are you saying you can only using the local server machine?  If so then the machine is blocking all other access.

That is correct.  Any thoughts, tips or advice on how or why my machine is blocking all other access and most importantly how to stop the blocking?  :)  

You need to check your firewall rules for anything related to MediaBrowserServer.exe.  Also, make sure the network connection on the server machine is a "Private" one and not Public.

You need to check your firewall rules for anything related to MediaBrowserServer.exe.  Also, make sure the network connection on the server machine is a "Private" one and not Public.

I checked the firewall rules, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.  They both say to allow connections though.

Network connection on server is definitely private.  

Is there anything special I need to do in Media Sharing?  I don't recall having to back when Emby worked perfectly, but I'll try anything.

Edited by gman326

Guest asrequested

I checked the firewall rules, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. They both say to allow connections though.

Network connection on server is definitely private.

Is there anything special I need to do in Media Sharing? I don't recall having to back when Emby worked perfectly, but I'll try anything.

Your firewall will have a list of allowed applications. Ebr is referring to that, not if your ports are forwarded. Dig into your firewall settings and look for MediaBrowser.

Your firewall will have a list of allowed applications. Ebr is referring to that, not if your ports are forwarded. Dig into your firewall settings and look for MediaBrowser.

Thank you.  I understand.  I saw two entries for MediaBrowserServer.exe in my firewall and they both were showing to allow connections.  I just didn't know what else I should be specifically looking for in those settings.

mjktg99

Make sure the uplink to your NG router coming from the FIOS ONT is plugged into a LAN port on the Netgear, not the WAN Port.

JeremyFr79

Make sure the uplink to your NG router coming from the FIOS ONT is plugged into a LAN port on the Netgear, not the WAN Port.

Or just go out an buy a proper AP, there are good one's in the 100-200 price range these days that will blow the WiFi performance of Netgear out of the water!

What were the results of our Connection Troubleshooter? Specifically, what tests succeeded and which ones failed?

Thank you.  Unfortunately none of the tests succeeded.  I opened port 80, 89, 8096 and 8920 in my firewall.  I tried connecting directly using the IP addresses.  I tried connecting using Emby Connect.  I ran my antivirus.  I tried port forwarding.  I tried canyouseeme.org and the connection timed out.  I opened a web browser on my phone not connected to wi-fi.  Etc. Etc. 

Do you happen to have a switch, laying around? You could test with that and rule out any router involvement.

Thank you.  I do.  Probably a couple.  FYI my desktop is actually connected via wi-fi.  

Thank you.  I tried both ports with no change.

Or just go out an buy a proper AP, there are good one's in the 100-200 price range these days that will blow the WiFi performance of Netgear out of the water!

Thank you.  I have a Nighthawk R6900 on the 4th floor and get 152/159 speeds around all floors of my house (including the desktop server that's on the 4th foor) except the first floor where I get around 100/100.  FYI FiOS max is 150/150 and I mostly only use the FiOS router for ethernet connections (including my NVIDIA Shield TV). 

Edited by gman326

So the server is connected only by Wi-Fi? If so, I wonder if that might be an issue.

Correct.  There's no ethernet port near my desktop and powerlines got awful speeds.

Guest asrequested

This is where my knowledge base, falters. Luke, might there be an issue with the server being on Wi-Fi?

Edited by Doofus

Did you try the windows troubleshooter?

In Windows search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, then select Identify and repair network problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Did you try the windows troubleshooter?

In Windows search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, then select Identify and repair network problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you.  I just ran it and it says there are no problems.  As mentioned in the OP my Plex server works fine on the same desktop, but I prefer Emby. 

Edited by gman326

Just for testing purposes, try disabling Windows Firewall altogether or any other firewall software (some antivirus include firewall) that you might have on the server to discard that the Firewall isn't the problem, if you have another PC laying around like a laptop try accessing to your server from the Windows Explorer in the other PC using the IP address of your server adding "\\" to the address i.e "\\192.168.1.254" this should display any folder shared from your server.

the-dumb1

I'm having a hard time tracking what your network looks like. The 2nd router you turned into a simple access point. Is it in bridge mode? Or is it just extending your network?

If it is in bridge mode, then ping it from the router connected to your modem. If you get a response, then ping the machine the Emby server is on.

Emby is not likely the problem.

Happy2Play

That was my thinking, is everything on the same network?  Is everything on the LAN in the same IP space?