Nvidia Shield Poor Playback

media-junkie

media-junkie

I've been wanting to replace my main HTPC with a smaller more power efficient device. I purchased a Nvidia Shield and got it all setup.  Installed the Emby app, connected to my server and started to test play several files.  I was very disappointed to see that every minute or two the playback would seem to just hang for a second or two and then pick back up where it left off.  The Shield is connected to my LAN via 1 gig Ethernet.   The NAS that stores my media is a enterprise class device.  When monitoring the Emby server I see when playback first starts it is transcoding but then quickly changes to direct play.  Nothing changes during these hangs.  The Shield should be more than powerful enough to handle the playback of 1080p content... so the question is why is it behaving this way?  The two types of files I've been testing are 1080p mp4's and mkv's.  Some have Dolby Surround other have DTS and some are just AAC or AC3.  Seems to be the same with all of them.  The same files play butter smooth on my current HTPC which is powered by a Intel Core i3 and an Nvidia 950 connect to the same LAN using Emby Theater.  They also play perfectly on 3 other i3 NUCs in my house using Emby Theater. Any thoughts or suggestions on resolving this would be greatly appreciated. 

Try enabing an external player - Archos Media Player + Archos Codec Pack or MXPlayer or SPMC (there are others). I like Archos personally as it plays everything with the codec pack installed and has a nice interface. If it plays well with one of these you know it is not your server or network.

Edited by Heuer

CBers

@@media-junkie

I assume you're using the Emby ATV app and not the normal Emby Android app.

If ATV, what BITRATE do you have set in the app?

I have a similar set up to you and I get pretty much everything Direct Streamed.

Might be worth posting the server log and any transcoding type logs.

You could also send a report from with the app so that @@ebr gets it direct. If you do that, post back here with the time and Emby user in use.

media-junkie

Thanks for the suggestions.  I"m pretty sure I have Emby for ATV but I'll double check.  I'll also tinker with external players and see if that makes any difference and report back.  I'll also try and get server logs... never done that before, where are they located?

• 1 month later...