Shield 3.3 Update

MSattler

MSattler

So got the Shield 3.3 update.  Am watching a movie with TrueHD, and with the internal player it now comes across as PCM.

Is it save to say that the player is now decoding the DTS-HD soundtrack and not just the core?  

A movie with TrueHD just plays Dolby Digital.  

I'll have to do some more testing with Archos and MXPlayer as well.

Thanks,

Marcus

• Like 1

fantaxp7

This isn't in anyway related but I wanted to hijack one of Sattler's threads  ;)

This update fixed my on going issue with live tv and certain sports stations that had a slight judder. Now they are smooth as silk. 

Could not be happier  :D

• Like 3

MSattler

This isn't in anyway related but I wanted to hijack one of Sattler's threads  ;)

This update fixed my on going issue with live tv and certain sports stations that had a slight judder. Now they are smooth as silk. 

Could not be happier  :D

So interesting thing @@ebr

I tried to use an external player and it let me use Archos without any issue.  I wanted to test MXPlayer though.  So I uninstalled Archos, and now when I set Emby to use an external player it tells me I need to use a third player player.  I get an option to reset Emby to use the internal player, or click ok.

it would be nice bitstream at least for me, i have atmos and DTS-X setup and PCM is no good enough for me, even plex now support bitstream Atmos

CBers

I tried to use an external player and it let me use Archos without any issue. I wanted to test MXPlayer though. So I uninstalled Archos, and now when I set Emby to use an external player it tells me I need to use a third player player. I get an option to reset Emby to use the internal player, or click ok.

Weird.

I tried to use an external player and it let me use Archos without any issue.  I wanted to test MXPlayer though.  So I uninstalled Archos, and now when I set Emby to use an external player it tells me I need to use a third player player.  I get an option to reset Emby to use the internal player, or click ok.

The player options are determined by the OS.  If MX isn't there, then that means it isn't advertising itself as being able to play the item we're asking it to.  You could try re-installing it.

MSattler

The player options are determined by the OS.  If MX isn't there, then that means it isn't advertising itself as being able to play the item we're asking it to.  You could try re-installing it.

Tried that, no dice.

CBers

Tried that, no dice.

Something strange going on there, as I have MX PLAYER installed and when I set the option to use an external player and play something, I get MX PLAYER listed, along with Kodi, ES Media Player and Video Player.

Have you enabled the "Pass Direct Path" option?

If you do, try turning it off.

• Like 1

MSattler

Something strange going on there, as I have MX PLAYER installed and when I set the option to use an external player and play something, I get MX PLAYER listed, along with Kodi, ES Media Player and Video Player.

Have you enabled the "Pass Direct Path" option?

If you do, try turning it off.

Did a factory reset and it appears to let me choose MXPlayer again.

So MXPlayer does not playback at all with HW decoding.  SW and HW+ decoding work well but still only stereo output.

DTS-HD output via Archos still seems to work like before.  I did notice that saving the playback state/resume point on the network is an option.  I disabled it, and am wondering where it stores it locally.  @@ebr, maybe there is still hope for supporting Archos with emby and Resuming.

• Like 1

MSattler

Went back and tried the built in player post factory reset and it appears True-HD and DTS-HD hit the receiver as PCM now.  So..... how does one know if we are getting true-hd audio or just the core?  Just the core could come across as PCM as well right?

MSattler

You have the Bitstream option turned on?

I don't believe so, I will check tonight.  Plex did the same as well, just playing everything in PCM.

MSattler

You have the Bitstream option turned on?

So did some testing tonight.

Shield with Plex - TrueHD Audio works, DTS-HD Audio works.   I did disable passthrough, reboot, enabled passthrough, and rebooted.  Using the internal player.

Shield with Emby - I get either Stereo, or PCM, or Dolby Digital.

So what are the chances that Emby will be passing TrueHD and DTS-HD out soon via the shield?

At this point it is tempting to purchase a plex pass.  Even better, being that it's a shield I don't even need Plex Pass unless I want to add local users and such.

One thing I really like about Plex that I miss in Emby:  For the ATV/FTV app, when I go to audio settings, Emby does not just list what audio is being used.  It just says Surround 7.1, surround 5.1, Surround 5.1.  It would be nice if it could say TrueHD, DTS, etc etc.

Also, in Emby when going into my movies Library, and then going to the alphabet shortcuts, the letters are displayed but it seems like the bottom of the letters are cut off.

Thanks,

Marcus

• Like 1

CBers

Also, in Emby when going into my movies Library, and then going to the alphabet shortcuts, the letters are displayed but it seems like the bottom of the letters are cut off.

It's been like that for ages.

• Like 1

For the ATV/FTV app, when I go to audio settings, Emby does not just list what audio is being used.  It just says Surround 7.1, surround 5.1, Surround 5.1.  It would be nice if it could say TrueHD, DTS, etc etc.

Where are you talking about?  I don't think the word "Surround" appears anywhere in our app.  Everywhere it is going to tell you the actual audio codec.

MSattler

Where are you talking about?  I don't think the word "Surround" appears anywhere in our app.  Everywhere it is going to tell you the actual audio codec.

During playback on ATV on Shield, if I hit down, go over to the audio selection, it says Surround 7.1 or Surround 5.1.  

I can take a picture of it tonight.

During playback on ATV on Shield, if I hit down, go over to the audio selection, it says Surround 7.1 or Surround 5.1.  

That is actually due to a feature that we have and they don't.

Open that media file in an mkv editor (or whatever format it is) and I think you'll see that those are the actual labels applied to those audio tracks.  That is so that one could be labeled something like "Director's commentary".

MSattler

Open that media file in an mkv editor (or whatever format it is) and I think you'll see that those are the actual labels applied to those audio tracks.  That is so that one could be labeled something like "Director's commentary".

So it's a feature for me to see "Director's commentary", and for that reason it can't say TrueHD or DTS-HD?

It seems like not a ton of thought was given to this.  Because most of my movies tend to have German and English audio.   I don't get "7.1 Surround - ENG", 5.1 Surround - ENG 5.1 Surround - GER", I get "Surround 5.1", "Surround 5.1", "Surround 7.1".

So in the end you are still making me guess what codec that audio is, and what language it is.

Would it be that difficult to have it list TrueHD 7.1 Eng, TrueHD 5.1Eng, TrueHD 5.1 Ger, Director's commentary".

It just is frustrating sometimes as we move the world to support a minor request with not a ton of user backing, but when there is something all of the users want, it goes into the eventually pile.

I think for now for home use I'm just going to switch to Plex.  My remote family members can still use Emby, I love it for that.  Don't get me wrong, Plex has it's own issues with it's awful Local User setup, and lack of gpu transcoding.   But for direct playback with HD Audio passthrough, Plex works better for me.

• Like 1

CBers

I've never seen that, just English DTS or English AC3 with associated bit-rate.

You don't even see that if there's only 1 audio track.

MSattler

Sweet Christmas!

• Like 1

If the tracks don't have a label defined we will create one from the data.  If there is one defined, we will use it.  The thinking being - you went to the trouble to specifically label this track so we should honor it.

We do examine the label to see if it includes the language and add that if it isn't there though (this is a recent server enhancement and may require you to refresh items).

• Like 1

MSattler

If the tracks don't have a label defined we will create one from the data.  If there is one defined, we will use it.  The thinking being - you went to the trouble to specifically label this track so we should honor it.

We do examine the label to see if it includes the language and add that if it isn't there though (this is a recent server enhancement and may require you to refresh items).

Refresh Items?  Run a scan?  Or re-import the entire library?

MSattler

It won't require a refresh but we will have to update the app

It's all good.  Still using Plex nightly to watch movies since True-HD and DTS-HD pass through with no issue on Plex.  If you guys ever figure out passthrough for True-HD and DTS-HD on the shield, I'll go back to using the Emby app.   I would imagine if Plex can do it, Emby should be able to do it.   While I sometimes get PCM with Emby, I have no way of knowing if it's True-HD converted to PCM or just the core.

Anyways thanks for your help and long silences on this.

Cheers!

• Like 2

this the reason i dont use emby app on the shield, the lack of HD Audio, this should be a high priority, on 2016 downgrade audio is absurd to me , they focus on less important things

anyways

• Like 1