Building Emby.ApiClient.Java

ta264

I was playing around at the weekend looking to get into emby development.  I spotted an odd looking error in my logs and thought I'd take a look as a 'mini-project' to get me started.

After investigating for a bit I guessed that the API call here: 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.ApiClient.Java/blob/518ac44499eb91a7bef599e7bc7c0367debcf140/src/main/java/mediabrowser/apiinteraction/connectionmanager/ValidateAuthenticationResponse.java#L42

is not quite right: I think the address should be /emby and not /mediabrowser.

I wanted to try changing the request, compiling the api and then recompiling the android app with the fixed api to see if the error goes away.  However I can't get the API to build.

I did the following:

> git clone git@github.com:MediaBrowser/Emby.ApiClient.Java.git
> cd Emby.ApiClient.Java
> gradle jar

This fails with the error:

:emby.apiclient.android:compileJava/home/tom/git_working/Emby.ApiClient.Java/android/src/main/java/mediabrowser/apiinteraction/android/profiles/AndroidProfile.java:3: error: package android.os does not exist
import android.os.Build;

I can fix this by copying android.jar from the SDK into the android/libs directory but then I get a new error:

:emby.apiclient.android:compileJava/home/tom/git_working/Emby.ApiClient.Java/android/src/main/java/mediabrowser/apiinteraction/android/profiles/AndroidProfile.java:4: error: package mediabrowser.model.dlna does not exist
import mediabrowser.model.dlna.*;

But I can't figure out how to fix this one.  It looks like the emby.apiclient.android module can't find the classes from the root project?

If you could let me know how to generate apiclient.jar from the Emby.ApiClient.Java repository I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

It is setup as an Eclipse project and you need to have all of the proper SDK and JDK components installed and configured.

However, that url should not be a problem (but I can change it in the project).  What error were you actually trying to correct?

Ah OK.  I tried using gradle on linux and Android Studio on Windows 10 but didn't try eclipse.

Occasionally I get an error like this in the log:

4:21:59.290 [main] DEBUG App - Adding request to queue: https://xxxx/emby/mediabrowser/users/fce8ab3b4c154e2d84b1827801a30be6?format=json
14:21:59.332 [main] ERROR App - VolleyError com.android.volley.ServerError: null 
com.android.volley.ServerError 
com.android.volley.toolbox.BasicNetwork.performRequest(BasicNetwork.java:179) 
com.android.volley.NetworkDispatcher.run(NetworkDispatcher.java:114)

Nothing seems to be broken, I just thought the URL looked suspicious and it would give me a reason to go through all the motions.