Play series random

sscheib

sscheib

Hello,

I have noticed, that playing a series in random order will result in playing the same few episodes in the beginning, until it gets random.

This applies for every series I tested it with.

Would be nice if the randomness could actually improved, so that it will be actually random, starting from the first episode.

Thanks for the report. It is a random query. I apologize that you've seen this behavior multiple times but it may happen once in a while.

sscheib

Actually its reproducable every single time, but only once per day per series.

Briefly explained:

- Playing "2.Broke.Girls" randomly on day 1 -> remember first few episodes

- Playing "2.Broke.Girls" randomly on day 2 -> same episodes again

- Playing "2.Broke.Girls" randomly on day 3 -> same episodes again

etc

After the first few "unrandom" episodes it begins to be "random" (not seeing any patterns at least)

I have done some testing and I did not see this. Yes out of many attempts there were some occurrences where the first episode of the series was chosen but it was not something that was happening every single time.

sscheib

This is very strange, as I really can reproduce this, day in day out.

Is there a way to increase the randomness (via some environment variable from mono itself maybe?) or is this happening due to weak entropy on my side?

Just out of interest:

How do you create the randomness? Some self written class or simply using the class "Random"?.

In case you use "Random":

I don't want to criticise you - don't get me wrong - but Random is known for its weak randomness. I'd highly suggest using RNGCryptoServiceProvider, which would deliver way more randomness, as it uses the OS entropy and much more indicators to create random numbers. Random is only using the the CPU clock and some seed to generate the randomness afaik.

Edited by sscheib

• 3 months later...
sscheib

@@Luke

Weeks later I realize why you where not able to reproduce this issue.

Basically the problem is, that I start playing series around the same time every day (around 8PM'ish) and it seems like that the time is a taken into the randomness - or whatever you want to call it - and so it ends up playing the same first episode in around 80% of the time.

It is really freaking annoying (now even more with the gone next episode button).

Could you please take a look at that? Thank you very much.

sscheib

My girlfriend does that (as you said).

I always click the three dots in the overview of all series and select "shuffle".

But we both have the same behaviour .. 

i basically just want to know your sqlite version which is printed early in the log. we are using the sqlite random() function to order results randomly.

sscheib

Well just ask me for that then instead of letting me do garbage if you only want to know a specific info :).

I guess you already noticed, that I'm not newbie regarding Linux and in case I don't understand what you need exactly I'm perfectly fine to ask you again.

My installed SQLite versions are:

libembysqlite3-0:amd64: 3.16.0+2-1.1
libmono-sqlite4.0-cil: 4.6.2.7-0xamarin3
libsqlite3-0:amd64: 3.16.2-1

I cannot reproduce this, sorry. We are using the database random() function, it might be incorporating date and time.