client hangs connecting to server

GhostRider

GhostRider

Hi

The TV Series library displays fine in the dashboard on the server side. Somehow the MBC client does not like it when I add new folders on the server.

I have completed creating a new TV series set of files ready to copy across onto the server. I will do that on Sunday and see how the latest MBC software updates work out. If it goes and hangs again I'll have a close look in the server logs.

• Like 1

GhostRider

Still having a torrid time, but I think I may have identified why :o

I copy my DVDs and then use meta<browser/> to pick and select the backdrops etc on an old PC. Then copy the whole folder over onto the server disks.

I suspect that my meta<browser/> settings to use MB2/MB3 compatibility is the cause problem. There is an option to use XBMC settings in meta<browser/>. This seems to match better the MB3 file naming convention.

Two quick questions please:

1) For MB3 should there be a folder.jpg or a poster.jpg?

2) Does MB3 read a .nfo file format or do I need the details in the movie.xml file?

Many thanks

Edited by GhostRider

We will find either image name but will not read .nfo files.

You might try just putting your content in and letting MB do the metadata fetching...

GhostRider

Good news all looks to be working perfectly now. Couple of days now with no client hang at the welcome screen.

Cannot be 100% sure what fixed it as I  changed so many things.

I did try letting MB3 server fetch the metadata which when I noticed it used a different naming convention to what meta<browser/> was using. I tried meta<browser/> saving in XBMC style with a .xml file. This worked as well.

I have switched back to the older sub-folder style for tv series rather than naming each art item xxx-season1 xxx-season2 style in the top level folder. Just looks so much neater in Windows Explorer.

I have now locked MB3 from updating the metadata and all the above methods for storing the metadata are read OK by the MB3 server/client combo.

I use meta<browser/> in part because I used to use it for getting metadata in to Windows Media Center and in part as it is easy to select which items to download. I like to get the logo, poster etc to have the same font / colour look and feel and sometimes have to hunt around to get a matching set.

The new MBC Chocolate theme is amazing, does all I could ask for. Just been experimenting with trailers for the first time. Added a trailer in the format xxx-trailer to the movie folder and a trailer icon magically appeared in MBC, and I was well impressed that after playing the trailer it auto started the movie file.

Many thanks for all the help and guidance in getting my config up and working.

Sent a supporter's contrib, did it twice as first had a fixed amount. Maybe worth adding the value drop down found in dashboard help section to the donate on the first page ;)

Sent a supporter's contrib, did it twice as first had a fixed amount. Maybe worth adding the value drop down found in dashboard help section to the donate on the first page ;)

Yes, we should have the same interface in both places (or have the first screen just direct you to the other page).  Not sure why it is different.  Thanks and I'm glad you got it going.