client hangs connecting to server

GhostRider

GhostRider

Hi

I rebuilt my PC over the week-end to add new, larger disks. I have reinstalled MB3 server but I am having problems with the client connecting to the server: it hangs at the welcome back screen with the dots moving across.

After the first hang I  deinstalled the MB3 server software completely and reinstalled a fresh and all worked well until this evening when it hangs again. Only change since it was working was the addition of some extra movie folders.

Server details

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

MB3 server version: 3.0.5151.18923

Running as a service with logon via admin account and password

No server plugins

Client details

Windows 8.1 64 bit with Windows Media Center

Media Browser Classic: 3.0.108.0 B1-7.1

Chocolate Theme.

Steps to check configuration

Logon to server, run dashboard. From dashboard I can see the client listed as an active connection but the client screen just shows the welcome back and moving dots.

From the server dashboard I can browse the movie collection OK.

Checked could map network drives to the movie and ImagesByName shares - all mapped and viewable OK

Checked servicews as running OK.

Not sure what is preventing the client from connecting. Any help appreciated as I am stumped for fixing this.

Logs attached for server and client. I can see "Async thread threw the following exception" error message in the client log.

Edited by GhostRider

GhostRider

Hi,

Only plug-in installed in MBC is chocolate. I have uninstalled this but get the same error.

I tried a new, fresh client install on another windows PC and it also hangs at the welcome  back screen.

Is it possibe to download the previous version of the server software to test?

GhostRider

Hi

Many thanks for looking into this. It was the full MBC log. Attached is the current log after:

1) Booting server

2) Booting client PC

3) Logon and Start Windows Media Center

4) Start MediaBrowser

MediaBrowser hangs until I close the window at the welcome back screen with the six dots continuously  moving across.

Attached is the new MBC log file.

MBClassic-2012014714c6a349a3941c683401bf8e5b1991d.log

Okay, I think you must have the same problem we've seen in a few other isolated cases where Windows has stored an old version of a dll and you are finding that instead of the proper one.

Un-install MBC and delete all dlls from the ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic folder.

Then scour your machine for 'MediaBrowser.Model.dll' and delete any you find.

Then re-install MBC.

GhostRider

Hi

I have deinstalled MBC, deleted programdata\mediabrowser-classic folder when searched for and removed all files begining with mediabrowser - there were lots of such files in various appdata and window cache folders.

I just downloaded the client installer and I cannot get the installer to run :(

Attached is the log file - not sure what this means - is there a problem with the source server or an issue with the .Net installation on my client PC?

MBC_intall.txt

Edited by GhostRider

GhostRider

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I cleared the ClickOnce cache from a command window using: rundll32 %windir%\system32\dfshim.dll ClearOnlineAppCache. I was then able to reinstall the MBC client - good news.

Alas the MBC client still hung connecting to the server at the Welcome Screen.

I then disabled Windows firewall on both client and server - MBC still hung.

Finally - I deinstalled the server software and then reinstalled it.

Success the MBC client now connects.

Looking in the Server log file I could see that it could not read some of the IBN people folders. Just a few of the many such folders. On examining the properties of these few folders they were owned by system rather than the userid that runs the service.

Not sure where that permission got set, I have a current small test movie and IBN folder setup. I will next try moving over the main movie and tv folders. I think I will delete the original IBN folder and let it start from fresh again.

Wish me luck with adding the main movies back in :-)

Edited by GhostRider

GhostRider

Hi

I think I will need some more help please.

Yesterday I deinstalled and then reinstalled Mediabrowser server, added a test IBN and test movies folder with one movie in it. All worked fine.

Today rebooted server and client and all worked fine viewing the test movie folder.

I then from the dash board I pointed the server at the real movies folder and changed to the main IBN folder and now the client hangs as before at the welcome screen.

I am out of ideas to try and resolve this. Anybody have any suggestions? Should I post a new server log?

Many thanks

Edited by GhostRider

GhostRider

Just tried the obvious next test and from the dashboard pointed the server back to the test movie folder and test IBN folder - client still hangs at welcome back screen.

Summary of tests to produce problem.

1) Deinstalled Media Browser Server, setup test movie folder and test IBN folder. Reinstalled server and configured during install to point at these folders - MBC client works fine.

2) From Media Browser Server remove test movie folder and point library at main movie folder, point test IBN to main IBN folder - MBC client hangs at welcome back screen.

3) From Media Browser Server remove main movie folder and point back to test movie folder, point IBN back to test IBN folder - MBC client hangs at welcome back screen.

All folders are UNC shares and setup from network drop down list.

I am at a loss what to try next.

GhostRider

Hi

Apologies for the typo. Server version is 3.0.5131.18923.

I now see a new version is available - I'll install that and see if it helps.

GhostRider

OK i updated the server to version: 3.0.5135.31685

Unfortunately the MBC client still hangs at the Welcome back screen.

Any suggestions of things to try?

I'm sure it is the same problem.  Something is out of sync in your installation.  Have you searched your entire machine for "MediaBrowser.Model.dll"?

GhostRider

Hi

Thanks for the help.

Yes I did a cleanout of MediaBrowser.Model.dll including cleaning the clickonce cache.

I just re-checked on the client PC there is only one copy in c:\programdata\MediaBrowserClassic

On the server PC there was one copy in C:\users\Userid\appdata\roaming\mediabroswer-server\system and one in ...\system.old.

I deleted the system.old folder and retried MBC but is still hangs at the Welcome back screen.

Any ideas?

Post another MBC log but I suspect it is the same issue.

The server and MBC are on the same machine?

GhostRider

Hi

The server and client are on separate PCs connected via a small home LAN.

On the client I deinstalled MBC, cleared the ClickOnce cache, ran the Microsoft .Net repair tool, then reinstalled the client.

MBC stills hangs at the welcome back screen. Copy of the debug log attached.

Any ideas how to fix this?

MBClassic-2312014b74432f6946d4747ae5c43e2c9925d08.log

I really don't.  It is the same problem.  It appears you have a dll that is for the wrong version but I don't know how as you said you have searched the machine.

Do you have a different machine you can try and install MBC on to test?

GhostRider

Hi,

Yes I had tried a different PC as well. It had never had MBC installed before and it also hung at the Welcome screen.

The good news is I have made some progress. I have been checking the server configs again and switched from default use default library to one named after the userid. This was set to use default before.

Things are working OK at the moment. I have added a few extra movies and a few TV series and MBC is working OK on the client PC.

Don't know if it worth checking out if there is a bug involved with the new version and use default library.

I'll keep on adding more items in and check MBC keeps working.

GhostRider

Hi

Latest update.

1) Friday all was well, server had Movies and Documentary libraries added to named user account rather than default. Stayed up watching movies until 2am.

2) Saturday morning - decided to add the last library: TV shows - result MBC client hangs again at welcome back screen.

Seems that the MBC client does not like changes on the server side.

3) Deinstalled MBC client - cleaned up one clickonce cache, installed latest MBC beta release

4) All is well again. :)

CBers

Sounds like there's an issue somewhere in your TV Shows library.

Check the server log for the time you added it and see if there were any error messages.

Edited by CBers