Server - Photos Library / Database; Better geodata handling

Sludge Vohaul

Sludge Vohaul

Idea

During import the longitude and latitude (if present) is stored amongst other metadata in the DB. This is nice, but of little use. What one needs is the according address.

Motivation

It would be nice, to be able to filter the Photos Library by location one day. 

Proposal

The DB schema should be extended by the following tables:

- id

- the photoid

- longitude (there might be a datatype for both already?)

- latitude 

- cityid
- street
- streetnumber
- county (whatever, additional freetext)
- distance from home (*)

City:
- id
- locationid
- name
- zipcode

- id
- cityid
- name

The location, city, country information would be retrieved from a configurable webservice (something like a dropdown box with available services), which would provide the information during the import of a photo.

Additional thoughts
Import of photos will slow down a lot, which is IMO acceptable.
Import when offline will have to be handled (manual rescan of the library by user, or something)
Service timeouts must result in a user notification ("Things failed. Try again later")
Would make reports possible like "show all cities/countries on a worldmap where I've ever taken any pictures" 
In case this gets implemented, the usage of the webservices might explode. One would have to check the terms of use.

(*) One could introduce a configuration setting where the user could optionally enter the lang/lat of his home. This would enable photo searches like "Show me the pictures taken more than X km away from home". Would of course require some "home coordinates have changed, recalculate" button.
  • Like 2

PenkethBoy

as the db can get quite big with just the non photo metadata - i would suggest the photos - as people who collect them tend to have thousands be put in a separate database - which is index heavily to allow complex queries either by the user or some built in options - its an area where emby could do with some improvements as searching is a bit hit an miss

if i import my photos - the whole db can go north of 2g in size - and i am not sure sqllite is built for that (not checked)