Remux ongoing recordings rather than transcode

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

It would be great to have an additional option under Live TV to remux to mkv (or mp4) rather than a full transcode. The full transcode to h264 takes a lot of cpu but a simple remux to another container doesn't.

I bring this up because my whole reason for transcoding was because I now use the Shield device and Emby App exclusively to watch all my recorded TV and everything else. The App handles the mkv format very well even if it's not encoded to h264. However, if I leave the recording in the native ts container it really doesn't like it. Even the Kodi App reacts differently to it. As an example of what difference I see, trying to skip commercials when the container it ts causes the audio to go out of sync sometimes or the timeline will skip to the end and thereafter you can't skip fwd anymore. None of this happens in the mkv container. I think it's just more compatible with the Shield device or something. 

Anyway, the Plex DVR gives this option and it works pretty good and doesn't require the CPU usage.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Can't speak to live tv, but in all other cases it remuxes if that's all that's required.  It will also do just the sound or video streams if that's all that's needed.

jasonmcroy

I am curious what other cases you are speaking of. Is there another option in Emby that I'm missing that will just remux and move to the appropriate folder?

As far as Live TV it will transcode on the fly which changes the container to mkv and the codec to h264 and leave the audio as it is. It's the changing the codec to h264 that is so cpu intensive. If the only the fly option while the show is recording could be set to only change the container to mkv and leave the codec (mpeg 1/2) as it is.

The only other way I know to do this is outside of Emby with MCEBuddy.

Deathsquirrel

I am curious what other cases you are speaking of. Is there another option in Emby that I'm missing that will just remux and move to the appropriate folder?

Well I was talking about on the fly, not making a trascoded or remuxed copy for permanent use.  That sounds like the sync function which I don't use.  If you play an MKV to a device that doesn't support MKV but can handle the video and audio formats of that mkv, then Emby would remux it to a supported container on the fly.  The CPU hit is pretty much nothing in that scenario.  That's for normal movie and TV rips from disc though.  I don't have any use for live TV so can't speak to that.

• 2 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

Hi Luke,

I don't mean to bother you, but I wanted to follow up on this request and see if you've had a chance to look at putting it in as an option? I have been updating to every Beta update hoping to see it but have not as of yet. Again, I know you are busy, but it would be very helpful in my setup. 

• 2 months later...
Fratopolis

this was soooooo helpful since my hdhr was using built in transcoding as i confirmed from cli for hdhr config but emby was still transcoding.

great work. another addition well implemented. You all are rock stars!